Main Menu

CPR Patch

Started by trbennett1, July 15, 2014, 07:31:28 PM

trbennett1

I was at a wing activity, and it was brought to my attention that with the new CAPM 39-1 we can now wear a CPR Patch on our BDU's. Could we wear any CPR Patch? Where would we get this Patch?

AirAux

Closest yardsale?  American Red Cross?  American Heart Association?  many are free and on line.. 

Eclipse

Any?  No.

For example...

Constant Prepayment Rate

Controlled Products Regulations

Continuous Plankton Recorder

Computerized Patient Record

Coffee Provides Resuscitation.  (It does, but no).

Cost Performance Report

Code of Professional Responsibility

Calibrated Peer Review

Clubs for Prevention and Recovery

Catch, Photograph, and Release

Condominium Property Regime

Computer Peripheral Repair

Crosby, Pevar, and Raymond       

Comprehensive Program Review        

Constructed Product Result

Creating Positive Relationships        

Conserve, Protect, and Restore

Cultural Participation and Research

Close Proximity Recovery

...would all be "no".

However, if you have successfully completed Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation training, and are current in the qualification (i.e. card not expired),
then you could wear a patch from the provider of the training.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

I have to know.... did you type each on individually or cut and paste?

Luis R. Ramos

This is from the appropriate area of CAPM 39-1.
10.7.23. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Patch. May be worn by individuals who have
satisfactorily completed CPR training, as awarded by a CPR-training agency whose training standards meet the US Department of Transportation "National Guidelines for First Aid in Occupational Settings".

Patches will only be worn while the member is current. Patch will be appropriate in size and appearance for the uniform being worn and that authorized by the agency that
completed the training

The American Heart Association does not have any cloth patch, only a metal pin. Believe me, I am an AHA instructor and I looked carefully for one.

The American Red Cross does not [edited to add] have any either. Ten years ago I was told by an ARC saleswoman that "these cloth patches do not sell so they are difficult to get." At the time the only ones sold by the Red Cross were instructor patches, so you could not wear one if you were not a CPR instructor... If you can find one you will have to be certified by the ARC...

That would have left any third-party made CPR patch but it would have been in violation of the manual indication as these "are not issued by a known organization."

I suggest go to eBay... Still, this one is not acceptable as it is not made by any organization: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CPR-PATCH-LOOK-AND-BID-NOW-/110856495066

One like this is acceptable if and only if your class was from the American Heart Association... http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Heart-Association-CPR-Patch/301119724999?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23928%26meid%3D8339124181201512028%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D10200%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D151324126849
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 15, 2014, 08:08:23 PM
This is from the appropriate area of CAPM 39-1.
10.7.23. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Patch. May be worn by individuals who have
satisfactorily completed CPR training, as awarded by a CPR-training agency whose training standards meet the US Department of Transportation "National Guidelines for First Aid in Occupational Settings".

Patches will only be worn while the member is current. Patch will be appropriate in size and appearance for the uniform being worn and that authorized by the agency that
completed the training

The American Heart Association does not have any cloth patch, only a metal pin. Believe me, I am an AHA instructor and I looked carefully for one.

The American Red Cross does have any either. Ten years ago I was told by an ARC saleswoman that "these cloth patches do not sell so they are difficult to get." At the time the only ones sold by the Red Cross were instructor patches, so you could not wear one if you were not a CPR instructor... If you can find one you will have to be certified by the ARC...

That would have left any third-party made CPR patch but it would have been in violation of the manual indication as these "are not issued by a known organization."

I suggest go to eBay...

Or just don't wear the patch.....

Luis R. Ramos

That posted by Hall, too...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 15, 2014, 08:06:58 PM
I have to know.... did you type each on individually or cut and paste?

Heh - looked up "CPR" and copied the defs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Ive always been one for moderation.  The CPR patch, ES patch, Comm Patch all just looked a little to boy-scoutish for my taste.  Perhaps it was my Marine upbringing where you could stand a records clerk next to a scout sniper and not be able to tell them apart by their uniforms.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Panache

Back In The Day, after I got certified as an Instructor, they gave me a patch that looked just like this one:

My Sergeant told me that I was supposed to get it sewn onto my uniform.  I never did.  I think it's probably floating around in a drawer or closet somewhere in my house.

AirAux

In the old days, while at Ft. Sam in medic training, some of us got our Life Saving certification and were told we could sew the patches on our bathing suits.. 

Storm Chaser

I've looked for these patches when asked by cadets; they're really hard to find and I'm surprised they were included in the new CAPM 39-1. Even if you can find one somewhere, I don't see the need or purpose of this patch. My recommendation would be against it, although if someone wants to wear it, it's an approved patch and they certainly can.

LSThiker

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 16, 2014, 12:54:53 PM
they're really hard to find and I'm surprised they were included in the new CAPM 39-1

The availability of the patch has probably never been really addressed at NHQ.  Thus, it entirely probable that the NUC or the paid staff are unaware of the issue.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 15, 2014, 08:42:02 PM
Ive always been one for moderation.  The CPR patch, ES patch, Comm Patch all just looked a little to boy-scoutish for my taste.  Perhaps it was my Marine upbringing where you could stand a records clerk next to a scout sniper and not be able to tell them apart by their uniforms.

:clap: :clap:
My personal preference also.  One day, I'll find time to tell the (sad, sad) story of what happened when RAF pilots were allowed to have their wings sewn on their uniform sweaters......not my service's finest hour by any means!   >:D

Flying Pig

Which brings me to my next point..... Uniform sweaters are of the devil.  Send them all back to hell and burn them.

GroundHawg

http://www.ecsi-merchandise.com/ecsi/default.aspx?page=products&cat=560

This is who we use, the program is thorough and they have patches in stock whenever you "need" one. It is nice to be able to present a cadet a patch after their course completion.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 16, 2014, 02:37:25 PM
Which brings me to my next point..... Uniform sweaters are of the devil.  Send them all back to hell and burn them.

No...I liked mine!  Then again, you should have seen what they replaced!  Mercifully I can't find any pictures!

:)

Panache

Quote from: GroundHawg on July 16, 2014, 06:33:32 PM
http://www.ecsi-merchandise.com/ecsi/default.aspx?page=products&cat=560
I'm not sure I would be comfortable affixing a patch to my BBDUs telling the reader to "Experience the difference".   :P