Wearing of obsolete C.A.P. ribbons?

Started by hhbooker2, May 16, 2013, 06:46:44 PM

TeamBronx

I completed all the achievements in the cadet program in 1972.  I never asked for an unnumbered, generic Eaker Award and wore the then authorized Silver Triangle Clasp on my Earhart ribbon to signify completion of the program without a Spaatz.  I still wear the silver triangle clasp as well as my COS Silver Star attachment on my Earhart.  Do not know if that is right or wrong, but I know I never earned an Eaker Award.

MSG Mac

o
Quote from: Eclipse on May 17, 2013, 05:19:26 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on May 17, 2013, 04:41:10 PM
Do the regs say that discontinued versions of still active ribbons cannot be worn?

Yes.

a. The CAP decorations, ribbons and badges described herein and wartime service ribbons
awarded during the period February 1942-July 1945 may be worn on the CAP uniform in accordance
with CAPM 39-1, Civil Air Patrol Uniform Manual. Other CAP decorations, ribbons and badges
previously authorized, but not described in this regulation will not be worn.

I believe the intent of the regulation probably refers to the numerous ribbons that were eliminated in the early 70's by BG Hal DuPont. These included: ECI, Cadre, Squadron Organizer, and a separate ribbon for each special activity.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: TeamBronx on May 21, 2013, 09:30:37 PM
I completed all the achievements in the cadet program in 1972.  I never asked for an unnumbered, generic Eaker Award and wore the then authorized Silver Triangle Clasp on my Earhart ribbon to signify completion of the program without a Spaatz.  I still wear the silver triangle clasp as well as my COS Silver Star attachment on my Earhart.  Do not know if that is right or wrong, but I know I never earned an Eaker Award.

AFAIK it's correct; the COS silver star goes on the highest cadet milestone award when you go to 'the dark side', as well as the silver clasp. I don't think CAPR 39-3 says yay or nay to the matter.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

hhbooker2

In addition to wearing obsolete Civil Air Patrol ribbons, have seen others wearing in addition to federal ribbons of the U.S.Armed Forces their Air and Army National Guard (State) ribbons as well as State Defense Force ribbons, society medals (ribbons) and Coast Guard Auxiliary ribbons too. Guess it depends on the unit commander? I wore just my U.S.Army GCM and NSDM (ribbons). Used to also wear my Army Marksmanship Badge, maybe that was not authorized?  8)
Herbert Booker

PHall

Quote from: hhbooker2 on August 12, 2013, 02:29:51 PM
In addition to wearing obsolete Civil Air Patrol ribbons, have seen others wearing in addition to federal ribbons of the U.S.Armed Forces their Air and Army National Guard (State) ribbons as well as State Defense Force ribbons, society medals (ribbons) and Coast Guard Auxiliary ribbons too. Guess it depends on the unit commander? I wore just my U.S.Army GCM and NSDM (ribbons). Used to also wear my Army Marksmanship Badge, maybe that was not authorized?  8)

Your Army Markmanship Badge is not authorized, but you know that. ;)
The only US Armed Forces ribbons you can wear are the "Federal" ones. No National Guard or SDF stuff.