Wearing the All Weather Coat with Service Coat during rain?

Started by Jagger3939, February 07, 2013, 06:48:28 PM

Jagger3939

Had a question,

I understand the All Weather Coat that's rainproof, is to be worn over your Class C's, Blues Sweater or Lightweight Jacket - but what if your going to a function in your class A's and it's raining. Can you put the all weather coat over you too keep dry while walking to/from the event?

Wanted to get an opinion.

NIN

Quote from: Jagger3939 on February 07, 2013, 06:48:28 PM
Had a question,

I understand the All Weather Coat that's rainproof, is to be worn over your Class C's, Blues Sweater or Lightweight Jacket - but what if your going to a function in your class A's and it's raining. Can you put the all weather coat over you too keep dry while walking to/from the event?

The all-weather coat is "outerwear" intended for wear during inclement weather.

Your service dress jacket is not considered "outerwear".

So yes, you can wear your all-weather coat over your service dress jacket to from the event.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Ned

All weather coats can protect your uniform investments.  Cadet shoulder boards are expensive and not particularly weather resistant.   ;)

LGM30GMCC

The overcoat is designed to go over the service dress. It always looked a little off to me over someone not wearing one. Of course it looked REALLY off on folks wearing ABUs before they came out with the mix and match rules and ABU gortex jackets.

Grumpy

Quote from: Jagger3939 on February 07, 2013, 06:48:28 PM
Had a question,

Use some common sense here.  It's a rain coat meant to be worn with the blue uniform.  Simple

Robert Hartigan

Keep in mind, the All Weather Coat is also authorized for wear with the BDUs.

IMO, It keeps you drier and warmer than a M65 field. And, according to my first First Sergeant the field jacket is meant for the field environment and the All Weather Coat is (was) the preferred outer garment in garrison.

Pragmatically speaking, the All Weather Coat is a more versatile outer garment for some members.

Grandmotherly speaking, put on a coat, hat and mittens when it is snowing or you will catch a cold.
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: Robert Hartigan on February 09, 2013, 05:15:17 AM
IMO, It keeps you drier and warmer than a M65 field. And, according to my first First Sergeant the field jacket is meant for the field environment and the All Weather Coat is (was) the preferred outer garment in garrison.

It's your opinion if it keeps you warmer/dryer. I would say having worn both...maybe?

As to it being the preferred outer garment in garrison? Not from what I've seen at all. It's more of a pain to deal with since you have to hang it up, it's even bulkier, and it looks odd with BDUs/ABUs (Yeah, even the military has a preference for wearing things that look 'cool'). Additionally, it's a bit of a pain when you're riding in vehicles because you wind up sitting on it.

Of course, in this day and age, the USAF has a variety of other options. The most common with ABUs is the fleece, then the gortex jacket. If it gets much colder than that the APEX parka (for those that get issued it) or the 80s style gray/green parka.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on February 09, 2013, 02:53:06 PMIt's more of a pain to deal with since you have to hang it up, it's even bulkier

No, no, no...when not being worn you're supposed to fold it into a nice 10"X10" square, using the belt to secure it.  That way, on your way to class, or standing in formation you can carry both that and the Lackland laser in the same hand - DUH!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

LGM30GMCC

You'll have to forgive me...never went to basic training. At field training we had the lightweight blue jackets and M-65s.

Though yeah...I think for lead lab and the like we folded them up at school. I try to blank a lot of that stuff out. Or it's just faded from memory.

NIN

Quote from: Ned on February 07, 2013, 07:00:23 PM
All weather coats can protect your uniform investments.  Cadet shoulder boards are expensive and not particularly weather resistant.   ;)

That photo makes me cringe... Your service dress jacket is not designed to withstand such a beating. 

Never mind the fact that you're lining yourself up to give Vanguard more money for no good reason.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on February 09, 2013, 04:59:34 PM
Though yeah...I think for lead lab and the like we folded them up at school. I try to blank a lot of that stuff out. Or it's just faded from memory.

Its ok, you can admit it: its the former, not the latter.

How on earth can you make an all-weather coat a 10x10 square? Thats just.. silly! :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

PHall

Quote from: NIN on February 09, 2013, 05:33:19 PM

How on earth can you make an all-weather coat a 10x10 square? Thats just.. silly! :)

Oh, you could if had to or wanted too. 10" x 10" x about 2" thick! :o

HGjunkie

Quote from: NIN on February 09, 2013, 05:31:06 PM

That photo makes me cringe... Your service dress jacket is not designed to withstand such a beating. 

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

NIN

That is not what Scotchguard is for.

Plus: Service Dress Jacket != Outerwear
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

lordmonar

You take the rain cover for your service cap....and shove, shove, shove.........I kid you not.  Standard BMTS procedure.  You carried you all weather coat, BMTS guide, two 341s, your money list and your Lackland laser with you at all time.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on February 09, 2013, 07:25:49 PM

You take the rain cover for your service cap....and shove, shove, shove.........I kid you not.  Standard BMTS procedure.  You carried you all weather coat, BMTS guide, two 341s, your money list and your Lackland laser with you at all time.

Showin' your age there Pat. They haven't issued Service Caps and their rain cover for years now. :o

ColonelJack

Quote from: PHall on February 09, 2013, 08:18:12 PM

Showin' your age there Pat. They haven't issued Service Caps and their rain cover for years now. :o

Yeah, but I too remember when they did!!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Luis R. Ramos

Those of you that find the All-Weather coat "strange" when worn with BDUs, are too young to remember this coat is the modern-day equivalent of the trench coat. It was supposed to be worn by the US Army at least during WWII and Korea, even over the M41 and later the M65 in cold weather.

Although not that old, it is not odd or strange to me, as I have seen hundreds of photos of American GI's wearing it in winter.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

LGM30GMCC

Dark Blue Trench Coat over woodland BDUs or ABU....whatever one would call the ABU pattern looks aesthetically odd. If it were a dark green, or a gray, or something like that...it wouldn't look quite so odd.  8) Heck even black might not look quite as odd.

PHall

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 09, 2013, 08:28:54 PM
Quote from: PHall on February 09, 2013, 08:18:12 PM

Yeah, but I too remember when they did!!

Jack

I remember when they did too!  But I went through Lackland in Sept/Oct 1974. 3708 BMTS.

ColonelJack

Quote from: PHall on February 10, 2013, 04:31:26 AM
I remember when they did too!  But I went through Lackland in Sept/Oct 1974. 3708 BMTS.

More than a year before I did ... Dec 75/Jan 76.  3704 BMTS

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia