Uniforms you'd like to see brought back...

Started by Treadhead, January 31, 2013, 03:49:09 AM

Treadhead

What phased out uniforms would you love to have brought back?

I've always loved the 1549 blue shirt.  Sharp as hell.  Another uniform I'd like to see come back are the Ike jackets.

What say you?
Walter F. Lott
1st Lt (CAP) ret
LTC, USAR (ret)
Lt Col, California State Military Reserve
Former member of Mather Cadet Sq. 14 and McClellan Cadet Sq. 12

Pump Scout

The older M65 field jacket with quilted liner was quite a bit warmer than the Goretex stuff that's out there. Going even older, the OD green parka with liner is still fantastic. I wore mine last year at a winter survival FTX.

PHall

Quote from: Pump Scout on January 31, 2013, 03:55:42 AM
The older M65 field jacket with quilted liner was quite a bit warmer than the Goretex stuff that's out there. Going even older, the OD green parka with liner is still fantastic. I wore mine last year at a winter survival FTX.

The Goretex with the fleece liner is way, way warmer them the M65 with liner.
And you stay dry too!

lordmonar

Quote from: Pump Scout on January 31, 2013, 03:55:42 AM
??  the M65 is still authorised.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Noble Six

I would love to see the Ike jacket brought back.
United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Noble Six on January 31, 2013, 04:36:54 AM

Me too.  I never got to wear one but I always thought they were sharp.

I would say the CSU...but that's a fart's chance in a hurricane.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Hawk200

Jungle fatigues. I liked the set I had. No, I don't want a green BDU, or an ACU type uniform in green, not at all. I like the old olive green slant pocket, no extra reinforcement Type III jungle fatigues.

If they were "reauthorized" tomorrow, I'd have some by Monday.

Treadhead

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 31, 2013, 05:09:46 AM
Jungle fatigues. I liked the set I had. No, I don't want a green BDU, or an ACU type uniform in green, not at all. I like the old olive green slant pocket, no extra reinforcement Type III jungle fatigues.

If they were "reauthorized" tomorrow, I'd have some by Monday.

I hear you, my friend.  I loved those too!

Seems that I remember seeing a tiger stripe version of the old jungle fatigues.  Slanted pockets and rip stop fabric.  I think they might have been special made.  Only seem em once.  Wish I had a set of those as well.
Walter F. Lott
1st Lt (CAP) ret
LTC, USAR (ret)
Lt Col, California State Military Reserve
Former member of Mather Cadet Sq. 14 and McClellan Cadet Sq. 12

Camas

The silver tans (Shade 1193) were sharp uniforms. The disadvantage was that they had to be worn with the coat at all times unless the long-sleeve Class B shirt was worn. And then one had to wear a tie tucked in between the 2nd and 3rd button. The 1505 short sleeve summer uniform was also a favorite of mine. But the wearing of ribbons was prohibited though today that probably wouldn't be a big concern to most members. And yes, I remember the jungle fatigues.

PA Guy

I was a fan of the 505s with bush jacket minus the shorts.

flyboy53

The dark blue shirt with shoulder loops. It was the sharpest uniform I ever owned because it was the last Air Force shirt that you could wear military creases.

ColonelJack

Quote from: CyBorg on January 31, 2013, 05:00:37 AM
Quote from: Noble Six on January 31, 2013, 04:36:54 AM

Me too.  I never got to wear one but I always thought they were sharp.

I have one (from the 60s) that I wear with my Scottish attire.  It is sharp.

I would say the CSU...but that's a fart's chance in a hurricane.

I hear you, my friend.  Concur on both parts.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Devil Doc

I would like any uniform that dosnt make us look like a Reject Security Guard, a DeadHead Pilot, a Mall Cop, something that when people see you, they go, oh ya, hes in the Civil Air Patrol!!!
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Eclipse

I would simply like a "uniform".  CAP has not had a "uniform" in the entire time I have been a member.

The clothing we wear has been driven by a myriad of factors, both internal and external, but has never been driven by "mission".

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on January 31, 2013, 03:01:38 PMThe clothing we wear has been driven by a myriad of factors, both internal and external, but has never been driven by "mission".

Most uniforms aren't driven my mission.  Even in the military.  ACU's?  ABU's?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

I disagree - you can argue that they missed the mark, but the intention was mission driven.

Organizational identity is part of that mission, in the case of the ACU and ABU, it's been argued that organizational identity
was placed too high on the priority list, but a lot of the uniform itself is functional and better then its predecessor.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Slant pocket jungle fatigues.

/thread

PS:  I have a pic somewhere of mine from when I was C/2d Lt.
Serving since 1987.

davedove

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 31, 2013, 02:55:36 PM
I would like any uniform that dosnt make us look like a Reject Security Guard, a DeadHead Pilot, a Mall Cop, something that when people see you, they go, oh ya, hes in the Civil Air Patrol!!!

I understand the sentiment, but the problem is that most people don't even know there is a Civil Air Patrol, let alone recognizing the uniform.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^Part of that is due to the increasingly-schizoid nature of CAP.

Part of the membership feels that the AF uniform with CAP modifications says "Civil Air Patrol" (I'm in that camp).

Others feel that we shouldn't wear the AF uniform at all and that the only thing that says "Civil Air Patrol" are the "corporate" uniforms.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ol'fido

OD Jungle fatigues. Most comfortable field uniform ever.

The dark blue long sleeve shirts that were worn in the  60's, 70's  and early80''s  Looked sharp. Make'em in short sleeve too  and you have a new corporate service uniform.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006