CAPM 39-1's Issues

Started by Airman De Ruiter, January 20, 2013, 04:43:24 AM

Airman De Ruiter

Is it just me or is 39-1 just overall poorly written and half-assed? I would type up a list of the all the fallacies, but I'm afraid the CAP Talk servers wouldn't be able to handle all of that data in one post. Is 39-1 like the abridged edition of the uniform manual. If something's not covered in the manual and everyone in your CoC is clueless as to what the proper way to do something is, then what are you to do? Consult the operational Air Force's uniform manual?
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

SJFedor

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 04:43:24 AM
Is it just me or is 39-1 just overall poorly written and half-assed? I would type up a list of the all the fallacies, but I'm afraid the CAP Talk servers wouldn't be able to handle all of that data in one post. Is 39-1 like the abridged edition of the uniform manual. If something's not covered in the manual and everyone in your CoC is clueless as to what the proper way to do something is, then what are you to do? Consult the operational Air Force's uniform manual?

Your signature line says it all.

Search function will help you with this topic, which is one of the all time deceased equines being repeatedly struck with a blunt object.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SarDragon

That said, yes, most of the CT members, and many CAP members in general are painfully aware of the deficiencies in CAPM 39-1. We even have a member of the Uniform Committee posting on here to keep us abreast of the latest events.

It's a huge complicated issue, with no easy answers. Be patient, make sure you've read all the ICLs, too, and wait for things to be worked. That's about all you can do.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Airman De Ruiter

I'm rather new, how does one ICL?

SarDragon

New, as a Cadet Captain? Or are you deceiving us a bit with your sig?  :o

ICL = Interim Change Letter. If you go to the Publications page on the NHQ site, and click the Interim Change Letters item, you'll see them. Those, along with the 39-1, will give you the latest info on uniforms.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Airman De Ruiter

Thanks, that's going to come in handy soon(I'm the unit designated "reg nazi" because I ensure that people follow regs to the "T" and I always carry the necessary citation on me.).

And no, I'm not an officer, I'm new to CAP. I just thought C/Capt Obvious was funny. Apparently not.

MIKE

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 09:16:41 AMAnd no, I'm not an officer, I'm new to CAP. I just thought C/Capt Obvious was funny. Apparently not.

Suggest you read the Membership Code of Conduct in Announcements.
Mike Johnston

NIN

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 09:16:41 AM
Thanks, that's going to come in handy soon(I'm the unit designated "reg nazi" because I ensure that people follow regs to the "T" and I always carry the necessary citation on me.).

And no, I'm not an officer, I'm new to CAP. I just thought C/Capt Obvious was funny. Apparently not.

Unsolicited advice from some guy on the Internet:

Be careful playing "reg nazi" and "new guy" at the same time, and especially around uniforms.

You presently can read black and white just fine, I'm sure, but the statement "what is an ICL" tells me you don't have the experience to find where all the (well uniformed) skeletons are buried in 39-1.   There are many of us who have been around for a LONG time who still get tripped up by a poorly written and edited regulation and/or manual.  And conflicting ICLs, National Board decisions, unpublished rules, the CAP Knowledgebase, and some random individual's reading of the "commander's intent" from three national commanders ago.

Then you add in all the cultural uniform biases that we carry to the table (Guy A: "In the Navy, we wear our ribbons no matter what" Guy B: "In the AF, it is customary for officers to not wear ribbons on the shirt" Guy C: "Can I wear this on my Class A's?"  Guys A&B in unison: "Shut up, Army Guy!") and uniforms are a minefield for the experienced.  They're certain death for a new guy.

Tread lightly until you can wear yours 100% of the time correctly.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Airman De Ruiter

Quote from: NIN on January 20, 2013, 04:45:59 PM
Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 09:16:41 AM

Unsolicited advice from some guy on the Internet:

Be careful playing "reg nazi" and "new guy" at the same time, and especially around uniforms.

You presently can read black and white just fine, I'm sure, but the statement "what is an ICL" tells me you don't have the experience to find where all the (well uniformed) skeletons are buried in 39-1.   There are many of us who have been around for a LONG time who still get tripped up by a poorly written and edited regulation and/or manual.  And conflicting ICLs, National Board decisions, unpublished rules, the CAP Knowledgebase, and some random individual's reading of the "commander's intent" from three national commanders ago.

Then you add in all the cultural uniform biases that we carry to the table (Guy A: "In the Navy, we wear our ribbons no matter what" Guy B: "In the AF, it is customary for officers to not wear ribbons on the shirt" Guy C: "Can I wear this on my Class A's?"  Guys A&B in unison: "Shut up, Army Guy!") and uniforms are a minefield for the experienced.  They're certain death for a new guy.

Tread lightly until you can wear yours 100% of the time correctly.

I know that my uniform is proper at all times, I may be new to CAP, but I've been wearing Air Force Blues for a minute, now. I don't crack down unless I know for a fact that I know the reg well enough to recite it so no false calls on my part, hopefully. I usually call the common sense stuff i.e. hair, creases, shoe shine/type, colored bracelet, device placement. You know, the stuff no one has time to do right. <--- Sarcasm

Patterson

^ Man, we need more members just like you.....

Eclipse

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 06:26:09 PMI know that my uniform is proper at all times, I may be new to CAP, but I've been wearing Air Force Blues for a minute, now. I don't crack down unless I know for a fact that I know the reg well enough to recite it so no false calls on my part, hopefully. I usually call the common sense stuff i.e. hair, creases, shoe shine/type, colored bracelet, device placement. You know, the stuff no one has time to do right. <--- Sarcasm

Considering that there are field grade USAF officers who regularly need assistance with their uniforms, a CAP Cadet Airman who, until this thread did not know what an ICL was, should not be quite so confident about whether or not he's doing things "right".

"That Others May Zoom"

Airman De Ruiter

Let's just say I'm a little old school, when it comes to my uniform. I don't get much sleep the day before I wear my uniform because of all the squaring away. As in 3 1/2 hours shining boots for BDU's and 4 on the boots for my blues. I am rather certain that I am SAT.

Eclipse

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 06:46:42 PM
Let's just say I'm a little old school, when it comes to my uniform. I don't get much sleep the day before I wear my uniform because of all the squaring away. As in 3 1/2 hours shining boots for BDU's and 4 on the boots for my blues. I am rather certain that I am SAT.

If you're spending more then a few minutes shining your boots, you're doing it wrong.

"That Others May Zoom"

Airman De Ruiter

Well, I disagree with you there. I think that if you can tell the difference between my boots and Corfams, then I'm doing it wrong. I find a deep sense of responsibility when representing CAP, USAF, and the Armed Forces as a whole.

JayT

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 06:55:43 PM
Well, I disagree with you there. I think that if you can tell the difference between my boots and Corfams, then I'm doing it wrong. I find a deep sense of responsibility when representing CAP, USAF, and the Armed Forces as a whole.

Nonsense. Spit shined boots are low on the list of priorities. I'll give you a hint, tell me how many branches of the military are still wearing smooth leather boots.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Eclipse

Mirror-shiny boots have nothing to do with "representing the Air Force", or anyone else for that matter, bearing and attitude say a lot more.

Just as a note, except in a few select areas, the USAF no longer wears black, shine-able boots.

"That Others May Zoom"

Airman De Ruiter

Quote from: JayT on January 20, 2013, 07:00:09 PM

Nonsense. Spit shined boots are low on the list of priorities. I'll give you a hint, tell me how many branches of the military are still wearing smooth leather boots.

JayT

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 07:16:16 PM
Quote from: JayT on January 20, 2013, 07:00:09 PM

Which ones?

US Army: Tan rough out boots (my partner his currently wearing his as his duty boots are in for repair.)
US Marines: Brown rough out boots.
USAF: Green rough out boots.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Eclipse

The Navy NWU is black rough out (which I'm assuming means suede?).

"That Others May Zoom"