flight suit....blue or green? not sure, was told green was not current suit

Started by tweety150, January 18, 2011, 12:57:00 AM

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^So noted. :)

It does look like "poo" if you try to Velcro the plastic-encased rank insignia, but the navy-blue insignia looks pretty good.

I don't see why the AF doesn't authorise that for the green flight suit.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: CyBorg on January 18, 2011, 09:55:52 PM
^^So noted. :)

It does look like "poo" if you try to Velcro the plastic-encased rank insignia, but the navy-blue insignia looks pretty good.

I don't see why the AF doesn't authorise that for the green flight suit.

Auth what? The encased insignia, or the blue insignia?

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 18, 2011, 10:21:56 PM

Either bright on ultramarine or bright on dark blue.  The bright on dark blue looks sharp on the blue flightsuits and utilities, and would look better and be easier to obtain / maintain than the clear plastic on the green.

Bright on green would also be a good  option.

No more greenhouses.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2011, 10:29:32 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 18, 2011, 10:21:56 PM

Either bright on ultramarine or bright on dark blue.  The bright on dark blue looks sharp on the blue flightsuits and utilities, and would look better and be easier to obtain / maintain than the clear plastic on the green.

Bright on green would also be a good  option.

No more greenhouses.

By greenhouses do you mean when the plastic insignia gets moisture in it? I have seen this a few times.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2011, 11:06:14 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 18, 2011, 10:48:06 PM
By greenhouses do you mean when the plastic insignia gets moisture in it? I have seen this a few times.

Yep.
You know that won't happen if you just use sticky velcro and don't sew the insignia to the velcro, no moisture can get in. Plus the adhesive velcro is made to stick to plastic, so you don't even have to sew it to the velcro.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2011, 11:23:27 PM
Then you wind up with a 1/2" battlement on each shoulder.
I am yet to see that happen, mine are on with velcro, and they don't stand anywhere near a half inch high.

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

MSgt Van

I dont' have a problem with the rank insignia.. Don't understand...   >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: HGjunkie on January 19, 2011, 01:55:42 AM
Velcro ain't as thick as some may suspect...

Standard, brand-new velcro sits 1/8" tall, plus 1/16" for the insignia.  That is a 3/16" battlement, and that's before it has been
man-handled by thick-fingers, multiple washing, caught on the seat belt, etc.

It looks worse on the shoulder because you see it in profile.  I have never seen anyone with velcro'ed grade insignia with it on straight and flat. 

And yes, I just measured it.

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

Ok, I guess it does matter where you put it and how you look at it. I use velcro for my flag on my BDUs, and unless you got up close and personal, you would never know the difference.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

vento

Velcro on the rank insignia really is problematic. I've seen in more than one occasion where the flight bag, or seatbelt, or whatever pushed the insignia away or removed it completely without the flightsuit wearer even noticing it until somebody else pointed it out.  I guess it has to do with the location and also the surface area of the velcro for the insignia being smaller than a Majcom or flag.

Mustang

Quote from: spacecommand on January 18, 2011, 04:31:02 AM
I don't know Colonel Fagan, I'm sure he's a stand up guy who worked through the ranks in CAP and reading the article shows it as well, however I don't think the uniform combination shown in the news article is within regulations...

http://www.stltoday.com/suburban-journals/stcharles/news/article_032e9aca-3920-56a3-8276-d70dd519758b.html

Nope. Embroidered nametag and grade insignia (especially subdued) are not authorized.  That nametag looks well-worn, suggesting that he's flaunted the regs with it for quite some time. 
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Thrashed

The last guy I flew with had velcro insignia.  He lost one.  We found it later on the middle of his back!  ;D

Save the triangle thingy

Hawk200

Quote from: Thrash on January 29, 2011, 12:33:47 PMThe last guy I flew with had velcro insignia.  He lost one.  We found it later on the middle of his back!  ;D

That's the kind of thing that makes me want to be able to sew everything on, including cloth rank and a cloth nametag.