Squadron Patch and Wing Patch HELP!!!!!

Started by usna2015, November 21, 2010, 08:07:37 PM

usna2015

Hello All,

I am a current Maryland cadet who went to Hawk Mountain Ranger School when I was a PA cadet.  Now that I have moved to the Maryland Squadron, can someone give me an idea about how to wear my squadron patch and HMRS patch.  It is my understanding that PAWG breaks the rules on the wearing of the HMRS patch, and I do not intend to start an argument.  I am just trying to find out where on the uniform the patches are placed.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the HMRS patch is on the left breast pocket, and the squadron is on the right?  Along with the wing on the left shoulder, and the reverse American flag on the right? 

Thanks for the help.

HGjunkie

Are you talking about the circular patch? I think it would be kosher to wear that one on the left breast pocket. However, you can't wear the "Ranger" tab, period.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

usna2015

By "Ranger Tab" do you mean the Search and Rescue Patch with LL on it?  If so, I was not informed that we could not wear them, but then again, I was out of the loop for awhile. 

DakRadz

I think he means Ranger grade, like 1st Class and such.

usna2015

So I am not allowed to wear my "Ranger 3rd class" tab above my civil air patrol tape, but I am allowed to wear the search and rescue patch?  If so, where do I put the search and rescue patch? 

HGjunkie

The Ranger tab is the little rectangular patch that looks something like this:

It is NOT authorized for wear.

If the SAR LL patch looks something like this:

Then you may wear it on the left breast pocket.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

usna2015

Thanks to everyone who replied for clearing this up. 

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DBlair

Keep in mind that if your Wing/CC has authorized it, certain NCSA patches may be worn in place of a Wing patch.  In FLWG, the HMRS 'LL' patch is authorized as one of those, so check to see if your Wing has likewise authorized it.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

HGjunkie

Quote from: DBlair on November 21, 2010, 08:38:41 PM
Keep in mind that if your Wing/CC has authorized it, certain NCSA patches may be worn in place of a Wing patch.  In FLWG, the HMRS 'LL' patch is authorized as one of those, so check to see if your Wing has likewise authorized it.
Huh. I thought only PAWG did that.

Oh yeah, FLWG lets you wear an NCSA patch in place of the wing patch. Forgot about that.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DBlair

Quote from: HGjunkie on November 21, 2010, 08:41:20 PM
Quote from: DBlair on November 21, 2010, 08:38:41 PM
Huh. I thought only PAWG did that.

Oh yeah, FLWG lets you wear an NCSA patch in place of the wing patch. Forgot about that.

A slight drift in topic, but this is copied from a policy letter from the FLWG/CC authorizing it. Let me know if you'd like me to email it to you.

As a result of National Board action, certain school/activity patches may be worn on the left shoulder. The following patches are approved for wear ½" below the left shoulder seam:

a. National Emergency Service Academy
b. National Flight Academy
c. Cadet Officer School
d. National Honor Guard Academy
e. Hawk Mountain Ranger School
f. Blue Beret
g. Air Force Space Command Familiarization Course
h. Pararescue Orientation Course
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

HGjunkie

Thanks, could you e-mail it to me? I can't seem to find it on the Wing website...  ???
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

EMT-83

Without opening the whole debate about Hawk bling, the proper place to ask the question would be at your unit.

How the National Board ruling is interpreted by members of this forum is not important. How they are interpreted by your chain of command is.

MichaelMeyers

I'm a Maryland Cadet and I went to HMRS in 2009.  You cannot wear ranger tabs at all no ifs ands or buts.  The Search and Rescue patch s not worn on the left shoulder, that is where the Maryland Wing patch would go.  The SAR patch goes where all other NCSA patches go, centered on the left breast pocket.

Also the Squadron Patch is worn centered on the right breast pocket.

Posts merged. MIKE

N Harmon

It is a bit difficult telling cadets that ranger tabs are not authorized with BDUs when they see them worn by high-ranking CAP members in the Volunteer magazine.

In fact, seeing that causes myself to reconsider if I was 100% correct in saying they were not authorized.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

HGjunkie

Quote from: N Harmon on November 28, 2010, 05:52:41 PM
It is a bit difficult telling cadets that ranger tabs are not authorized with BDUs when they see them worn by high-ranking CAP members in the Volunteer magazine.

In fact, seeing that causes myself to reconsider if I was 100% correct in saying they were not authorized.
Just because someone higher than you is doing it doesn't mean it is correct. The regs don't support it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Hawk200

Quote from: HGjunkie on November 28, 2010, 06:04:42 PMJust because someone higher than you is doing it doesn't mean it is correct. The regs don't support it.
True. It generates some issues.

One is: Can you really trust someone that high rank if it's a case of them just not knowing publications? (Be it just being out of date, or didn't bother to look it up.)

Two: Can you trust someone that high rank if it's a case of they know better, but don't care?

"Do as I say, not as I do" is a lousy leadership style. Whether ignorance or not, it's a problem.

Anyway, starting to think that some our extraneous patches ought to go away. I'll be happy when the flag officially comes off (and not for the reasons that people probably think). Clean, simple, and ready to work should be what our utility uniforms should be about.

DakRadz

Quote from: N Harmon on November 28, 2010, 05:52:41 PM

+1

I facepalmed after a double-take....

Quote from: HGjunkie on November 28, 2010, 06:04:42 PM
Just because someone higher than you is doing it doesn't mean it is correct. The regs don't support it.

A very valid point.

manfredvonrichthofen

I don't think the flag should come off until every one comes home.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on November 29, 2010, 03:09:14 AM
I don't think the flag should come off until every one comes home.

When who comes home?  I didn't know that our CAP uniforms were being used as a homage to deployed troops.  Perhaps we should have a POW/MIA patch too, then?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill