Obviously we have a Major working for NBC...

Started by Krapenhoeffer, October 19, 2010, 12:37:19 AM

lordmonar

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 20, 2010, 06:32:26 AM
His ribbons are:
Loening Award, Navy Cross, Distinguished Service Medal, Silver Star
Legion of Merit, Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star
Garber Award, defense meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Navy and Marine commendation Medal
Navy and Marine Corps Medal, Joint Services Achievement Medal, Combat Action Ribbon, Presidential Unit Citation
Navy Unit Citation, Meritorious Unit citation, Navy "E" Ribbon, Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Humanitarian Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Medal
Philippine Independence Medal, Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation-Cross of Gallantry, Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation-Civic Action Medal

Looks pretty good for someone who would have to be about 80+ years old!
(in the phillipines between 8 Dec 41 and 15 June 42.....assume 18 years old when he joined the Corps and when to the Phillipines right out of basic.....in 2010 he would have to be around 87 years old!)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MSG Mac

Quote from: JeffDG on October 20, 2010, 11:46:30 AM
OK...for all you decoration gurus out there...here's one I am entitled to...just not in CAP...who can ID it...

I give up, it's not listed in any US military service and I couldn't find it under state awards.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JeffDG

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 20, 2010, 09:21:30 PM
OK...for all you decoration gurus out there...here's one I am entitled to...just not in CAP...who can ID it...

I give up, it's not listed in any US military service and I couldn't find it under state awards.
You seem to have made an unwarranted assumption.

Krapenhoeffer

Hey, CA Wing! Ever considering giving the cadets an economics lesson?

Have some of them write the costume departments of all these Hollywood studios, and offer *discounted* advice for uniforms!  ;D

<sarcasm>
You'll make tons of money!
</sarcasm>
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

DakRadz

Quote from: JeffDG on October 20, 2010, 09:35:45 PM

Alberta Centennial Medal.

Canadian.

While it seems to be a mostly civilian award (not earned through the military, anyway), it can be worn on the Canadian uniform, as it has a standing in the order of precedence.

P.S. Cadinks for the win!

vento

Quote from: DakRadz on October 20, 2010, 10:07:04 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on October 20, 2010, 09:35:45 PM

Alberta Centennial Medal.

Canadian.

While it seems to be a mostly civilian award (not earned through the military, anyway), it can be worn on the Canadian uniform, as it has a standing in the order of precedence.

P.S. Cadinks for the win!

I'm impressed. How in hell did you Google that one up?

DakRadz

Know the asker, know the answer.

He posted back in August about applying to Canada's version of West Point. So I searched Canadian military decorations, and finally found it on the scourge that is Wiki.

Way on down the precedence, but still there, civilian or no.

I tried China, Russia, North Korea, and Mexico before remembering that, though >:D
Really.

JeffDG

Quote from: DakRadz on October 21, 2010, 12:32:48 AM
Know the asker, know the answer.

He posted back in August about applying to Canada's version of West Point. So I searched Canadian military decorations, and finally found it on the scourge that is Wiki.

Way on down the precedence, but still there, civilian or no.

I tried China, Russia, North Korea, and Mexico before remembering that, though >:D
Really.
yeah...last I checked, it's actually the bottom of the precedence list in Canada...but I do properly posess it!

FlyTiger77

Quote from: DakRadz on October 21, 2010, 12:32:48 AM
Really.

And today's award for entirely too much free time goes to......
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

spacecommand

While researching a completely unrelated topic I came across a photograph from CHUCK!

Sorry it's from the chuck wiki or whatever that's the only image size they had:

jimmydeanno

Quote from: spacecommand on October 21, 2010, 07:37:53 PM
While researching a completely unrelated topic I came across a photograph from CHUCK!

Can you give me a hint?  I don't know what I'm missing...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Rotorhead

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on October 19, 2010, 01:43:52 AM
TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES
    Subtitle A - General Military Law
    PART II - PERSONNEL
    CHAPTER 45 - THE UNIFORM

(f) While portraying a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or
    Marine Corps, an actor in a theatrical or motion-picture production
    may wear the uniform of that armed force if the portrayal does not
    tend to discredit that armed force.

So, basically, if they wear it properly, a character in a fictional program can wear a uniform.

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/10C45.txt

In reality, they can wear it even if it is "improper," or if the DoD doesn't approve, or whatever.

There is NO way the quoted material is enforceable. Which is why no one has ever attempted to enforce it.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

DakRadz

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 21, 2010, 11:38:09 PM
Quote from: spacecommand on October 21, 2010, 07:37:53 PM

Can you give me a hint?  I don't know what I'm missing...
Well, on (our) right lapel, her US insignia is horribly off. Actually, both are, it seems.

Also, should her stars be centered on the epaulet? Short though it is, I didn't think they were worn at the shoulder's edge.

That's all I got, though. All her ribbons are recognizable to me as proper Military ribbons. I even see a silver brushed nametag.

JohnKachenmeister

I don't think her US insignia is placed wrong, but her jacket is unbuttoned.  That makes them look wrong because of the fall of the jacket.  I can't tell from the picture if this woman is a general or a colonel.

There is a movie called "Shining Through," which starred Michael Douglas.  That was the WORST MOVIE EVER for military awards and insignia.  Among the errors:  On December 8, 1941, Douglas' character was boarding a C-47 to go overseas.  He already had a CIB and theater awards, although he was still at a Washington DC airport.  Somewhere in the movie, a ribbon fell off his ribbon rack, and he went through the rest of the movie without replacing it. 

Also... the C-47 he got on, supposedly in 1941, had 1943-1944 markings.

The movie wasn't too bad as chick flicks go, but none of the stuff that make movies great: No explosions, rock music, large volumes of small arms fire, car chases, or skin. 
Another former CAP officer

davidsinn

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 03, 2010, 12:18:47 PM
stuff that make movies great: No explosions, rock music, large volumes of small arms fire, car chases, or skin.

You missed one: gratuitous military flying scenes. See "The Final Count Down" for examples, Militarily accurate unlike "Iron Eagle" which also has good flying scenes.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Persona non grata

Wasnt IRON EAGLE based on a true story?

regards,
Doug Masterson
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

davidsinn

Quote from: eaker.cadet on December 03, 2010, 04:15:43 PM

regards,
Doug Masterson

A high school kid and a washed up fighter jock going rogue and wasting an air force and the kid ends up with an appointment to USAFA? I doubt it. The story was so bad the USAF refused to help with it and all the aircraft in the movie are IDF/AF.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Chappie

regards,
Doug Masterson

;D  :clap:  Lost another keyboard due to expulsive blast of coffee
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

davidsinn

Quote from: Chappie on December 03, 2010, 04:42:51 PM

regards,
Doug Masterson

;D :clap:  Lost another keyboard due to expulsive blast of coffee

That was humor...Dang. I missed it. ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

A wannabe true story, maybe.
Quote from: eaker.cadet on December 03, 2010, 04:15:43 PMDoug Masterson
Drop the "on", and with a little more imagination .. you can have your true story. ;)