Main Menu

The Golden Pip

Started by KioGoten, May 14, 2010, 05:53:08 AM

JC004

People seem to have liked their gold pip.  I wonder if I still have that bag of the metal ones...  ???

ZigZag911

Quote from: PHall on May 15, 2010, 04:44:02 AM
If you are old enough to have worn the Gold Pip as a C/WO, then you are offically an "Olde Fart". ;)

(And I wore mine with pride!)

As one former C/WO to another, I concur!

arajca

Quote from: PHall on May 15, 2010, 04:44:02 AM
If you are old enough to have worn the Gold Pip as a C/WO, then you are offically an "Olde Fart". ;)

(And I wore mine with pride!)
Hey! I resemble that remark.

KioGoten

I think they should bring back the Golden Pip.

If these kids do go to the academy or RPTC and get commissioned as a 2LT they will know that it feels like to be called a butter bar and have that experience from being a FO or WO.

Now I know that the air force does not have WO's anymore, but it could be kept as a golden pip being a 2LT then after they pass their first or second test they could be promoted to the silver pip as being a seasoned 2LT.

What do you guys think?
Capt Nelson Guadalupe, CAP
SWR-TX-313 Abilene Squadron
2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: KioGoten on May 16, 2010, 07:32:22 PM

If these kids do go to the academy or RPTC and get commissioned as a 2LT they will know that it feels like to be called a butter bar and have that experience from being a FO or WO.

Now I know that the air force does not have WO's anymore, but it could be kept as a golden pip being a 2LT then after they pass their first or second test they could be promoted to the silver pip as being a seasoned 2LT.

What do you guys think?

Never happen. So those of us who once wore the golden pip with pride are gonna hafta look at it from a shadow box. CAP's cadet grade insignia is now aligned with Ma Blue's. And Ma Blue doesn't want warrant officers; she hasn't had any since about 1980.

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BillB

Chuck time spent on vacation on a South Pacific Island doesn't count to time in grade. You're not attending Squadron meetings. So when you get back to that western state, you will still have a year and sevean months to go. (joking)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

High Speed Low Drag

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 17, 2010, 02:05:42 AM
Quote from: KioGoten on May 16, 2010, 07:32:22 PM

What do you guys think?

Never happen. So those of us who once wore the golden pip with pride are gonna hafta look at it from a shadow box. CAP's cadet grade insignia is now aligned with Ma Blue's. And Ma Blue doesn't want warrant officers; she hasn't had any since about 1980.

We aren't bringing back the WO or FO, just substituting the golden pip for the silver pip as the grade insignia for C/2nd Lt.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

a2capt

Quote from: BillB on May 17, 2010, 02:57:44 AM
Chuck time spent on vacation on a South Pacific Island doesn't count to time in grade. You're not attending Squadron meetings. So when you get back to that western state, you will still have a year and sevean months to go. (joking)
Ya know, I'm actually for that, joking aside, over all I do have issues most of the time with folks who sit in the wings and wait .. and then put in for promotions and basically didn't do anything.

Doesn't work at some units because they actually have a review board. But ..

No, I'm not picking on our South Pacific Island residents, though. :)

AlphaSigOU

Ahana koko lele! (Hawaiian for 'shame on you'!)  :D

For two outta my three years time in grade wearing railroad tracks I was quite active at Addison Eagles Composite Squadron (SWR-TX-390). Unfortunately where I'm located ('Kwajatraz Federal Penitentiary', Kwajalein, Marshall Islands  >:D) and current CAP regulations on overseas squadrons have largely kept me inactive with my new squadron, Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069). But I'll be back active for the month or so I'm on home leave in July.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

a2capt

On leave.. LOL. I love it.  On leave from a deserted island, to a desert oasis. In the hottest part of the year. Culture shock..

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: a2capt on May 17, 2010, 05:53:29 AM
On leave.. LOL. I love it.  On leave from a deserted island, to a desert oasis. In the hottest part of the year. Culture shock...

You don't hafta be crazy to live and work here in the 'Island of Misfit Children'... but it sure helps!!!  ;D

July in Lost Wages is usually not my time to visit family, but that's when I had enough leave saved up to get off the island for six weeks. Next year I'm breaking up my vacation into smaller parts; two to three weeks in the spring with the famly and two weeks in the fall to attend National Staff College.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

KioGoten

Does anyone have any old Golden Pips they can part with?  My squadron has a golden pip cloth in our supplies but not the pin, I would like to put together a collection of the old ranks.  We actually have the old MSGT Pin where all the stripes are on the bottom.  It was nice to see.
2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

JC004

Quote from: KioGoten on May 18, 2010, 04:44:03 AM
Does anyone have any old Golden Pips they can part with?  My squadron has a golden pip cloth in our supplies but not the pin, I would like to put together a collection of the old ranks.  We actually have the old MSGT Pin where all the stripes are on the bottom.  It was nice to see.

I used to have a crap load of them.  I don't know if I still have them.  I'd have to dig...

kd8gua

I have a pair of small size and large size, mounted on respective cadet shoulder marks and shoulder boards, for my personal insignia collection. Purchased mine "new" from the Hock a few years ago. Up until Hock's C&D, they had gold pip cloth insignia for sale, unissued condition, as well as some of the cloth stripes. Probably all in a box somewhere until Hock can (if ever) start selling CAP specific items again.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

KioGoten

What is the deal with the Hock not being able ot sell CAP stuff anyway?

Vanguard is so expensive its not even funny.  Shipping takes forever and not to mention it is expensive.  I also noticed they changed the ranks from when I was a cadet and now.  The CAP symbol inside the rank (red part) is incorporated into the rank and it is all flat.  Back in my day it was a piece that was set over the actual stripes.  (Bc the cadet rank was a modified version of the real military enlisted rank)

Any other place that might do underground type CAP selling besides Ebay... which usually has nothing but patches?
2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

a2capt

For the deal on the Hock, and the Big V, as much as it irks the crud out of me when thats the first reply anyone gets,  "Use the Search, Luke.. " .. ;-)

You'll find a several deep threads on it, most of which are locked, so they may be on page 2 of uniforms, the lobby, etc.

KioGoten

This bites... vanguard sucks imho

Any way we could request another vendor?
2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

jeders

Quote from: KioGoten on May 19, 2010, 01:38:54 AM
This bites... vanguard sucks imho

Any way we could request another vendor?

Yes it does, though they suck a little less than they did when we started using them.

You could request another vendor, but not now since we're still under exclusive contract. Not to mention that your request WILL fall on deaf ears as has been made apparent by the National Commanders letter on the subject.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

KioGoten

Hmmm,

I think this organization has more power than it would like to admit.

If the senior members were to e-mail eachother and get a petition or something together adn send it to NHQ they would have to listen wouldnt they?  Then send that same petition to Vanguard and threaten to leave them after their contract expires... I bet they wouldnt like that much.

What does everyone else think?
2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

Al Sayre

Hi, you must be new here...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787