packing for encammpment

Started by ElectricPenguin, June 22, 2011, 04:38:25 AM

ElectricPenguin

I am finding it hard to pack all the stuff in two bags, and I have yet to put in a blanket and pillow. How many bags on average do you bring to encampments? I just don't want to look like the one with a million bags.

Flyinsarge

Well, what I did was take my grandpa's Marine duffel bag from Vietnam, and put all my bags into there. plenty of room. Also,most encampments I know of provide pillows and blanckets, so look closer into that. Anyhow, run to your local surplus store and see if you can get yourself one of those great bags.

ElectricPenguin

And on another note, do they dump all your things out infront of you on the ground?   :-[ ---- While being at attention yelling at you.

nesagsar

If they did, they would be incorrect in so many ways.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: nesagsar on June 22, 2011, 06:01:54 AM

^^^^

We're not BCT. If that's how they are "teaching" you, then they should be 2B'd.

davidsinn

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 22, 2011, 01:02:15 PM
Quote from: nesagsar on June 22, 2011, 06:01:54 AM

^^^^

We're not BCT. If that's how they are "teaching" you, then they should be 2B'd.

How else do you propose TACs do a contraband check? Every thing's got to come out of the bag. If you don't have a table to work from like I didn't the first time I was a TAC you have to put it somewhere.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

HGjunkie

Every time I've had a contraband check the SM's would bust into the barracks at a random time and neatly sort through everyone's suitcases, putting everything back in order when they were done.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

davidsinn

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 22, 2011, 03:24:44 PM
Every time I've had a contraband check the SM's would bust into the barracks at a random time and neatly sort through everyone's suitcases, putting everything back in order when they were done.

If done right it takes place before the cadets get into the barracks. Checking several hundred cadets at a time causes a mess. Since the cadets will have to put the stuff in their lockers five minutes later it's not a huge deal. BTW, I would refuse to go through a cadet's stuff unless they were present so I couldn't get accused of stealing something.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

PHall

We do the contraband checks as part of in-processing. We have four 8 foot folding tables with a pair of Tac Officers at each table to check your stuff.
We try to do it before the parents leave so they can take home the stuff that shouldn't be there and/or make a trip to WalMart to pick up that underwear you forgot to pack.
Usually takes about 3 minutes per cadet.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on June 22, 2011, 04:05:42 PM
We do the contraband checks as part of in-processing. We have four 8 foot folding tables with a pair of Tac Officers at each table to check your stuff.
We try to do it before the parents leave so they can take home the stuff that shouldn't be there and/or make a trip to WalMart to pick up that underwear you forgot to pack.
Usually takes about 3 minutes per cadet.

+1  Anyone doing anything different is doing it wrong.

Busting into barracks at random times?  Seriously?

"That Others May Zoom"

Flyinsarge

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on June 22, 2011, 05:04:08 AM
And on another note, do they dump all your things out infront of you on the ground?   :-[ ---- While being at attention yelling at you.

Do you mean like the "Jelly doughnut" scene from Full Metal Jacket?

davidsinn

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on June 22, 2011, 05:04:08 AM

I don't know if you just added the red part or if I missed it the first time. No, they should not be yelling at you and dumping your things on the ground while you stand at attention. When I did a check I dumped it out, went through it and made conversation with the cadet. Then I helped stuff it back in the bag. It was a fairly painless thing.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Red wasn't there, but that's what I expected to be the overall question. Right on top with flipping bunks...

If I ever had a staff cadet flip my bunk, I'd probably end up duct-taping their blanket in such a way that they wouldn't be able to get underneath it.

ol'fido

Quote from: Flyinsarge on June 22, 2011, 04:44:26 AM
Well, what I did was take my grandpa's Marine duffel bag from Vietnam, and put all my bags into there. plenty of room. Also,most encampments I know of provide pillows and blanckets, so look closer into that. Anyhow, run to your local surplus store and see if you can get yourself one of those great bags.

Wally World has a large zip duffel bag for about $20 that is almost as large as a GU duffel bag and it's a lot simpler for people to check your stuff with one of those instead of having to dump the whole thing out. Plus the fact that the way some cadets pack the GI duffels makes it nearly impossible to get everything back in. I would rather see a cadet carrying two smaller bags that aren't overloaded than one big one that is bulging at the seams. Also, with a few basics, the GI bag fully loaded is bigger than they are.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006