Main Menu

Safety Down Day Issue

Started by Maverick925, March 05, 2012, 02:26:00 AM

Maverick925

Let me start off by apologizing in advance for being a bit vague here.  I am having an issue with the way my squadron ran its SDD, and am coming here for advice.  I am not giving my name, unit, or wing for concern of reprisal.

Last week, my unit held its Safety Down Day (SDD).  We had more then adequate notice of this.  The morning of the meeting, my father became ill, and I had to stay home to take care of him and my grandfather.  When I contacted my squadron commander about this, he said it would not be a problem, that they would come up with a make up assignment.

This morning, I got an e-mail from the commander and safety officer with the make up assignment.  It was also sent to all the other cadets and seniors who, for whatever reason were not in attendance last week.  The assignment is to answer six very detailed and involved questions, in a minimum of 3500 words.  double spaced.  This works out to 14-16 pages.  I e-mailed my concern to the squadron commander that I thought this was harsh...after all, in four years of college, I only had to write one paper this long...and even schools like Harvard and UPenn only require 500-750 for their admissions essays.  I was told that "This was my directive. It should be painful." (copied directly from the e-mail I was sent in response to mine).

Now, I can't speak for other members as to why they didn't attend the meeting.  I made a decision to take care of my father and grandfather and do not regret that.  however, I think that for any member, what is being asked is unfair.  I understand the need for and fully support CAP's safety program, but don't know how to handle this situation.  Cadets have school, work, social lives, homework, etc., and seniors have things to do too, CAP is after all a volunteer organization.

Can anyone here offer advice on how to handle this?  I have already thought about jumping the chain and going to the wing commander, but am not sure if I want to do that.  Also, I should add that going to another unit for this is out of the question due to transportation issues.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank-you all for tolerating me being vague,

Captain X

PS - I should note that this SDD make-up must be done by 31 March in order to participate in unit activities.

HGjunkie

I'm sorry, but that's absurd.

I write a lot of papers and do a lot of research, the only time I see an essay approach 3000+ words is when it's an actual research paper.

350 is fine. Moving the decimal over one place is not appropriate for ANY CAP written "Assignment."
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

davidsinn

That's ridiculous. I can't even find a requirement to attend the safety down day. If he won't see reason I would suggest going to the group commander if you have one or the wing commander if you don't have groups. Are you sure it wasn't 350 words?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Maverick925

Here are the requirements put forth in an attachment to the e-mail we were sent.  The attachment contains the instructions and questions.

"Safety Day 2012 Make-up Assignment

For those Senior Members and Cadets that were not in attendance for the required CAP Safety Down Day and ORM review – the make-up requirement is to research and deliver a 3500+ Word, or handwritten (legibly) document covering the topics listed below. For purposes of Safety Currency for participation in Squadron meetings and functions, you will not be listed as Current until this requirement is completed and has been reviewed and accepted by the Squadron Safety Officer and the Squadron Commander"

Captain X

Thrashed

Just go online and take a safety test. You're done.  :)

Save the triangle thingy

Maverick925

This is the annual SDD requirement...not the monthly.  The monthly I can do no problem.  What's funny, is that anyone who missed the SDD last year, was able to go online, watch a few powerpoints, read a couple PDF's, answer a few questions, and the yearly SDD qualification was met.

EMT-83

First, if they are calling it a "Safety Down Day" your squadron commander and safety officer are clueless. That terminology is no longer used.

Second, do not jump your chain of command. State your objections in a properly worded memo. Give your squadron leaders an opportunity to resolve the issue.

If you cannot resolve the issue, inform your squadron commander that you are appealing this to the next higher echelon.

My personal opinion is that a serious problem exists. It sounds like someone has their panties in a bunch because folks had the nerve to miss the training, and they are taking revenge. CAPR 62-1 requires each unit to conduct an annual Safety Day, during the first quarter of the calendar year. There is no actual requirement for every member to attend this training. Telling members that they cannot participate in unit activities without this training is not authorized by the regulation.

Maverick925

EMT-83...what about regional or national activities?

davidsinn

Quote from: Maverick925 on March 05, 2012, 02:52:46 AM
This is the annual SDD requirement...not the monthly.  The monthly I can do no problem.  What's funny, is that anyone who missed the SDD last year, was able to go online, watch a few powerpoints, read a couple PDF's, answer a few questions, and the yearly SDD qualification was met.

There isn't a SDD requirement for the members. The requirement is for the unit to hold the SDD...If you take the online quiz you are automatically listed as current. I don't think you can manually be listed non-current.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RiverAux

Pretty ridiculous, especially for the cadets. 

That being said, EMT's advice is sound. 

davidsinn

I don't think I would inform him I was going over his head. If he's as vindictive as he sounds, giving him the proof you caused him to get slapped down might not be a good idea.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Maverick925

Well, I have an e-mail I am ready to send to the wing commander, and in it, just as on here, I ask to remain anonymous (although in the letter I do give my name).  I just don't want the squadron to find out who alerted wing - if I end up deciding to go that route.

vento

+1 on what EMT said.

There are two new checkboxes in eServices for Safety Officers to log in Safety Education. One being for the required 2012 Safety Day and the other for the required ORM presentation or education that is coming in the near future. As far as I know, the requirement is for the unit to present the materials and it does not in anywhere say it is mandatory for every member to take it.

In the past, our Wing had mandated "Safety Down Day" of which every member was required to know the materials, but I don't think this is one of those.

Eclipse

Don't play anonymous games, just address it directly.  We're all adults here, right?

For the record, there is no attendance requirement, if you're not there, you're not there.

Not even commanders get to make up requirements like this nonsense.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

The unit is supposed to have a "Safety Day" (they don't use the word 'down') in the first quarter of the year. however calling someone clueless for using it seems rather strong.

CAPR 62-1 says about the Safety Day:
QuoteAn annual Safety Day will be held in all active units during the months of January, February, or March to focus on improving safety knowledge and attitudes. This will require a day focused entirely on safety subjects applicable to the unit. The Safety Day education to meet this requirement may take place at a regularly scheduled unit meeting providing the entire academic content for that meeting is devoted to safety.
But that's been interpreted broadly across the board. I think that does merit a lot more than the typical monthly safety topic. But 3,500 words? You know what that sounds like to me? .. someone looking for topics for their own presentations :)

For example, CAWG simply forwarded the notice from National to the unit commanders, about the eServices database update to record the meeting event, and didn't say anything extra or over what the regulation says to do. Another I found, PAWG says:
Quote1: Safety Day. Moved from October. You have until March 31 to have a Safety Briefing of at LEAST one hour on a Safety Topic. Please try to include ORM. You have until March 31 to complete this annual requirement.
;) Even the CAPR doesn't hint at something as heavy as a thesis. It also doesn't even say attendance is mandatory. Heck, I'm pretty confident that the organization as whole realizes that 100% attendance is basically not possible. I agree that something a little more than the monthly thing could be asked for, for compliance. However there is simply no reporting method for it either, if the safety officer is going to enter a new activity just for the few who have been assigned that monumental task..

You know, someone could easily just record the whole meeting from the corner of the room and pass that around to those who miss it. Then everyone sees the same content in the next couple weeks, everyone spent the same amount of time on the topic, and everyone came away with the same knowledge. That certainly seems fair.

So one wing comes away with "it has to be an hour"...

Maverick925

Here's another question.  Let's say that I take some of the posts here and the regulation, cite all to my CO, and his response is something like, "Well, that's NHQ's regulation.  This is XX Wing's."  Would national supersede here?

Pretty much what I'm trying to do is be able to go to my CO with as much ammo as I can get, and then if that doesn't work, I'll jump over him.

SarDragon

Just as an aside, is this guy by any chance related to Frankie and Joey Rizzo?   >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Maverick925

Quote from: SarDragon on March 05, 2012, 03:39:30 AM
Just as an aside, is this guy by any chance related to Frankie and Joey Rizzo?   >:D

Nope.

lordmonar

Quote from: Maverick925 on March 05, 2012, 02:52:46 AM
It is requred to have a SDD, not to go to it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AngelWings

I'd ask for a 3500+ word example that the commander and safety officer both wrote for "ideas".