Mandatory Monthly Safety Briefing Gets "Watered Down" By Region

Started by RADIOMAN015, May 25, 2011, 10:10:18 PM

ßτε

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 28, 2011, 08:42:22 PM
There's nothing in the 62-1 to support your 15 minute minimum claim. Either you have a wing policy or someone made something up.
See CAPR 62-1 para 3.e.(6)

NC Hokie

I have found that this resource in the hands of a cadet NCO does a pretty good job of meeting the monthly safety briefing requirement.  I don't know where it came from, but I truly wish that NHQ would make it official OR put one or two of these briefings in the monthly Safety Beacon to help local squadrons meet this requirement.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

Quote from: ß τ ε on May 29, 2011, 03:11:13 AM
There's nothing in the 62-1 to support your 15 minute minimum claim. Either you have a wing policy or someone made something up.

You read that wrong.  It says per month, not per meeting or briefing.

(6) Develop a program of regular safety education and mishap prevention training for
the unit(s) to which they are assigned. They shall ensure that no less than 15 minutes per month
of safety education training is delivered to the membership at a unit meeting
.  This safety
education training will be documented in the National online safety database.

Also, Section 3e defines the Safety Officer's responsibilities, not the definition of what a briefing is, or the requirements
of an individual member to participate.  The SE must provide at least 15 minutes per month of Education.
Most units meet once a week, so the minimum per this reg would be 4 minutes per briefing per meeting, so the
typical 5-10  minutes meets the mandate.

However the members need only attend one session to be current, and it does not have to be at their home
squadron.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: NC Hokie on May 29, 2011, 03:22:19 AM
I have found that this resource in the hands of a cadet NCO does a pretty good job of meeting the monthly safety briefing requirement.  I don't know where it came from, but I truly wish that NHQ would make it official OR put one or two of these briefings in the monthly Safety Beacon to help local squadrons meet this requirement.
I think that may have come out of Iowa Wing

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2011, 04:55:31 AM
Quote from: ß τ ε on May 29, 2011, 03:11:13 AM

You read that wrong.  It says per month, not per meeting or briefing.

(6) Develop a program of regular safety education and mishap prevention training for
the unit(s) to which they are assigned. They shall ensure that no less than 15 minutes per month
of safety education training is delivered to the membership at a unit meeting
.  This safety
education training will be documented in the National online safety database.

Also, Section 3e defines the Safety Officer's responsibilities, not the definition of what a briefing is, or the requirements
of an individual member to participate.  The SE must provide at least 15 minutes per month of Education.
Most units meet once a week, so the minimum per this reg would be 4 minutes per briefing per meeting, so the
typical 5-10  minutes meets the mandate.

However the members need only attend one session to be current, and it does not have to be at their home
squadron.
Somehow I don't think they really meant a 3-4 minute briefing per meeting, more likely 15 minutes ONCE a month.  Personally I think if any unit had video capability, just record it.   I don't see why a member missing the meeting on that specific week couldn't just review the video the next time as long as the Safety officer was available to answer questions.  Again though it just involves more work.   Since we are a composite squadron the "Commander's Call" for the senior members is held once per month so the safety education briefing is held on that meeting date.
RM 

arajca

If you have internet connectivity, dealing with those who miss the safety education is easy. When they show up at the next meeting, sit them down with a computer and have them do one of the National safety education programs before they do anything else (including testing and opening ceremonies). If they've already done it, fine. After a few times, they will either start making the safety education meetings or doing the online ones at home/work/school/library/etc.

It is the unit's responsibilty to provide a safety education opportunity monthly. It is the member's responsibility to complete it. If they miss the unit provided one, they need to find another method.

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 29, 2011, 01:30:08 PMSince we are a composite squadron the "Commander's Call" for the senior members is held once per month so the safety education briefing is held on that meeting date.

Well, there you go.  Seniors should be meeting more than once per month for training, re-currency, and professional development.  Once you point out
this deficiency and start scheduling the rest of the meetings you need, you can add more opportunities for the required training.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I'm not aware that seniors are required to meet more than once a month.  Granted, I'm not aware of any CAP units whose seniors meet on that schedule, but I've often thought that it would be more productive to have longer monthly meetings than the twice a month schedule common to many senior squadrons (and some senior components of composite squadrons). 

Eclipse

Its not a requirement, it's the only way to be successful.  It is nearly impossible to be fully engaged in CAP with only one or two meetings a month.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2011, 03:52:24 PM
Its not a requirement, it's the only way to be successful.  It is nearly impossible to be fully engaged in CAP with only one or two meetings a month.

Why? Many other volunteer organizations work just fine with a once-a-month board conference call.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 30, 2011, 12:46:52 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2011, 03:52:24 PM

Why? Many other volunteer organizations work just fine with a once-a-month board conference call.

We're not talking about anybody else, we're talking about us.  What others do is irrelevant.

Units that only meet once a month are generally leaning on the resources of other units or echelons for their members' participation and success,
or simply ignoring most of the program that "doesn't interest them".

It is impossible to be fully engaged at the level we expect and want our members to be with only one meeting a month.  In most of those cases
those members are treating CAP like a menu, selecting the few things they "feel like" doing and leaving the rest of the weight for "the other guy".

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I think it depends on what you do with your time and the length of your meeting and the range of activities your unit normally participates in that you need to keep refreshed.  If I ever get super re-motivated about CAP, I've often thought of starting a senior unit in a nearby town that would meet only once a month for perhaps 3-4 hours on a Saturday morning.   

jimmydeanno

Many other volunteer organizations also don't have an active mission like Cadet Programs or Emergency Services.  Most volunteer organizations are passive in their approaches (creating media ads, fundraising, awarding scholarships, etc) - few actually do boots on the ground type stuff.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on May 30, 2011, 12:15:48 PM
I think it depends on what you do with your time and the length of your meeting and the range of activities your unit normally participates in that you need to keep refreshed.  If I ever get super re-motivated about CAP, I've often thought of starting a senior unit in a nearby town that would meet only once a month for perhaps 3-4 hours on a Saturday morning.

If the members are doing the majority of the administrative, training, and PD work outside those meetings, that is one thing, however if the only contact
time with those members is 3-4 per month, and the majority are new, you would be stuck in 1st gear permanently.

"That Others May Zoom"