Critical Incident Stress Mgt regulation

Started by RiverAux, December 01, 2006, 12:25:24 AM

RiverAux

What do you guys think about the draft CISM regulation on e-services?  I don't discount the need for such a program (I've been involved in a non-CAP CISM session after an incident before), but it sure seems like they want it to be implemented in a very top-down way. 

One item that caught my eye was that if there were a need for a CIS Team (CIST) and there wasn't a local non-CAP equivalent available, was that a Regional-level team could be requested.  More than likely this team would arrive after the incident was complete and it might be quite a chore to round up the involved personnel in order to have the session afterwards. 

Thoughts?

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: RiverAux on December 01, 2006, 12:25:24 AM
What do you guys think about the draft CISM regulation on e-services?  I don't discount the need for such a program (I've been involved in a non-CAP CISM session after an incident before), but it sure seems like they want it to be implemented in a very top-down way. 

One item that caught my eye was that if there were a need for a CIS Team (CIST) and there wasn't a local non-CAP equivalent available, was that a Regional-level team could be requested.  More than likely this team would arrive after the incident was complete and it might be quite a chore to round up the involved personnel in order to have the session afterwards. 

Thoughts?

I'm not a big fan of how I've seen CISM implemented in some places; that being said, wouldn't it make more sense to pull from available non-CAP resources? Stantard training is standard training and [at least in my home state] many areas have on-call teams available as needed by emergency responders.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

JohnKachenmeister

I'm glad CAP recognizes the need.  The first mission of my cadet squadron was site security on a Piper Cherokee crash in which a 13-year old girl was killed.  I called for a Chaplain, even though CISM was not yet implemented in CAP.  They founmd a chaplain in Michigan (We were in Northern Ohio) and he stayed up all night with us talking to the troops.  It was tough on them, what with someone their age as the victim. 
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

The reg would approve use of local CISM teams from other agencies.  Apparently each AFB is supposed to have one and we will be encouraged to use them also. 

ELTHunter

Before CAP started the CISM program, we had one of our own planes go down in the TN Wing during a mountain flying clinic, killing the three crew members aboard.  I don't remember which agency they came from, but we had three CISM people come in and talk to everyone who had been involved in the search and site surveillance.  I had always considered that kind of thing not really necessary prior to that, but I participated any way.  I had been on the ground team that secured the site.  I was surprised at the emotion I myself felt because I knew the guys, and they had all been killed in a plane I had crewed before, doing the same kind of things I had also done.

I believe it is a very worthwhile thing, and I'm glad they are supporting the membership in such a way.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer