Main Menu

Medical question

Started by Perez, March 12, 2010, 04:20:26 PM

jimmydeanno

Quote from: C/AB Perez on March 16, 2010, 08:50:18 PM
So I'm icing it,taking vitamin B6,cutting back on exercises,and applying various essential oils. So far,it seems to be helping,I'm just hoping this won't be a repeat offender.

There's always the possibility of injuries recurring.  However, you can reduce those chances by exercising with more education about how to do it correctly.

A great place to start would be the Cadet Physical Fitness Program Pamphlet.  I would pay particular attention to the portions covering stretching, warm-up and cool-down.

Also, remember that if it hurts, don't do it.  There is a difference between the soreness experienced after a good workout and actual pain and numbness.

Also, once you have your issue "solved" be careful to take the proper amount of time and don't over exert yourself, take it slow to get back into the routine.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Lord

Various essential oils? Have you tried Shaman healing rituals yet too? Witchcraft is not going to help your problem.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Major Lord on March 16, 2010, 11:41:03 PM
Various essential oils? Have you tried Shaman healing rituals yet too? Witchcraft is not going to help your problem.

Major Lord

Anything with Omega-3s has anti-inflammatory properties to it.  Olive Oil also shares this feature.  While the normal method is to consume the oils (food grade oils, I'd like to add) there is research that applying them topically can work, just like the OTC creams.

Ginger also has a great anti-inflammatory property to it.  I eat a bunch of it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

tdepp

Various essential oils?
Now I know my problem. Too many non-essential oils!  ;)
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

Spike

Quote from: tdepp on March 17, 2010, 02:59:42 AM
Various essential oils?
Now I know my problem. Too many non-essential oils!  ;)

Only those oils found in cakes, cookies and potato chips, right??   >:D

Fuzzy

C/Capt Semko

Perez

"Various essential oils? Have you tried Shaman healing rituals yet too? Witchcraft is not going to help your problem."

Haha! Na,that's not what I was referring to,I don't roll that way.
the term "Essential oils" is pretty much a slang to refer to natural oils such as lavender,lemongrass,majorim,frankincense,and various other usefull non-potatochip oils.
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

Major Lord

I knew what you meant. These are basically the volatile oils used in aromatherapy and other new-age pseudo-science, "medicine" . There is no evidence  that these things are absorbed through the skin, and that even if they are, that  they have any therapeutic value beyond the massage used to apply them. ( They are absorbed primarily through inhalation when used as topicals, as far as anyone can tell) You might consider a poultice made of armidilla' spit and mandrake root, which I am sure will be just as effective.....

Seriously, there are people in jail for trying to sell these things as medicine. We have real medicine, no need to go to the soothsayers, conjurers, and multi-level marketers!

Major Lord
Skeptic
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Perez

Not trying to clash with anyone,and I do understand that you're trying to make sure I don't make any bad decisions,and I appreciate your concern, but I'm not attempting to research any new age medicines,or strange sorcery of any kind. This isn't some new pitch I've recently taken a liking to. These are merely natural supplements that have been tried and tested just as much as any other drug,or antibiotic(which I am not against.)

Our family has found them useful in treating a range of minor and mild illnesses and various other maladies,spanning from headaches to the common cold. So as stated above, I don't want to challenge,or attempt to defy anyone's reasoning. I am merely using what I find works efficiently.

Best regards.
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

Major Lord

If it works for you, all power to you. I am going to go have some eye of newt and tongue of frog with a nice Napa Fume' Blanc...It cures the vapors well....

Major Lord

tdepp

Quote from: Major Lord on March 19, 2010, 04:52:10 AM
If it works for you, all power to you. I am going to go have some eye of newt and tongue of frog with a nice Napa Fume' Blanc...It cures the vapors well....

Major Lord

And also relieves consumption!
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

Spike

Quote from: Major Lord on March 17, 2010, 11:32:43 PM
I knew what you meant. These are basically the volatile oils used in aromatherapy and other new-age pseudo-science, "medicine" . There is no evidence  that these things are absorbed through the skin, and that even if they are, that  they have any therapeutic value beyond the massage used to apply them. ( They are absorbed primarily through inhalation when used as topicals, as far as anyone can tell) You might consider a poultice made of armidilla' spit and mandrake root, which I am sure will be just as effective.....

Seriously, there are people in jail for trying to sell these things as medicine. We have real medicine, no need to go to the soothsayers, conjurers, and multi-level marketers!

Major Lord
Skeptic

Where did pharmaceutical drugs come from?  Almost all prescription medications today are derived from plant, animal and mineral sources.  Aspirin is a very good example.  Ancient humans used aspirin in its natural form before "Companies" found a way to make some serious CASH off of it.

Almost all Cancer drugs are plant or nature based in their original form.  Science takes these plants, gets the cell killing material and concentrates it into a dose that is beneficial to us.

We can learn much from ancient humans and Native peoples of all lands in regard to medicine.  There are "natural remedies" for most common ailments, yet we spend tons of cash on the same item because it has been package in a pretty box and is called "Alka-Seltzer".  The Romans drank sodium-bicarbonate for the same ailments we have today, yet paid very little if any for it!

As far as drugs being transported through the skin....you better believe they can be.  Everything small enough to fit can go through our skin.  Ibuprofen in gel form actually works better than popping a pill, when the gel is applied to the skin in the area of the pain.

mynetdude

Quote from: Spike on March 20, 2010, 05:25:05 AM
Quote from: Major Lord on March 17, 2010, 11:32:43 PM

Major Lord
Skeptic

Where did pharmaceutical drugs come from?  Almost all prescription medications today are derived from plant, animal and mineral sources.  Aspirin is a very good example.  Ancient humans used aspirin in its natural form before "Companies" found a way to make some serious CASH off of it.

Almost all Cancer drugs are plant or nature based in their original form.  Science takes these plants, gets the cell killing material and concentrates it into a dose that is beneficial to us.

We can learn much from ancient humans and Native peoples of all lands in regard to medicine.  There are "natural remedies" for most common ailments, yet we spend tons of cash on the same item because it has been package in a pretty box and is called "Alka-Seltzer".  The Romans drank sodium-bicarbonate for the same ailments we have today, yet paid very little if any for it!

As far as drugs being transported through the skin....you better believe they can be.  Everything small enough to fit can go through our skin.  Ibuprofen in gel form actually works better than popping a pill, when the gel is applied to the skin in the area of the pain.

didn't know ibuprofen is available in gel form (no wonder I don't get any satisfaction from ibuprofen pills). Lots of good info here, I too have discomfort with numbness and some pain (nothing what this cadet has though) doc told me I have B-12 deficiency (and oh my gosh! There's SEVERAL different variants of B-12 and I have yet to figure out which one is just b-12!)

B-6 is water soluble? hmm gotta be careful with Vitamin As and Bs and Cs it looks like.

Also weight reduction (for me) will also reduce some of the issues I am having as well.

Major Lord

Spike,

Yes, many drugs can be absorbed transdermally, and its no secret that many drugs are organic, or synthesized versions of organic substances. The volatile oils used in aromatherapy have been shown in studies to be primarily passed by inhalation, not transdermal absorbtion. The ancients also cut off the heads of people to let out bad juju ( which may have some merit, considering....) but I don't think that their ancient wisdom can be shown in all cases to have medical benefits. It is interesting to see some of the ancient medicines and techniques being rediscovered. "Sugaring" of wounds, ( treating infected woulds with sugar) Leeches ( for removing extracellular fluids in reimplanted digits, etc.) Maggotts and tiny little fish for debriding necrotic tissues, etc.

Major Lord