Main Menu

Civility

Started by Larry Mangum, November 07, 2018, 01:56:12 PM

Spam

Quote from: THRAWN on November 08, 2018, 10:44:40 PM
Ugh....Dave, can we be done being lectured by the educator now?

No! Please, not yet!  I'm popping more corn and getting a soda. This is great stuff!

"Civility"... a new term for targeted broad brush disdain. Loving it.

(munching on popcorn)

Cheers
Spam

THRAWN

Quote from: Spam on November 08, 2018, 10:50:32 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on November 08, 2018, 10:44:40 PM
Ugh....Dave, can we be done being lectured by the educator now?

No! Please, not yet!  I'm popping more corn and getting a soda. This is great stuff!

"Civility"... a new term for targeted broad brush disdain. Loving it.

(munching on popcorn)

Cheers
Spam

Behave yourself. lol....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Airplane girl

I really like the idea of this thread. Ignoring all of the back and forth because it would not be helpful to contribute to it, I think that civility is definitely something there should be more of, not just on CAPTalk, but in CAP in general. People remembering that we're all here for one mission, and even when people can get caught up in all of the day to day challenges of being in a squadron and petty squadron politics, sometimes it's just a good idea to look around and appreciate everyone who is volunteering alongside you.

THRAWN

Quote from: Airplane girl on November 08, 2018, 11:06:47 PM
I really like the idea of this thread. Ignoring all of the back and forth because it would not be helpful to contribute to it, I think that civility is definitely something there should be more of, not just on CAPTalk, but in CAP in general. People remembering that we're all here for one mission, and even when people can get caught up in all of the day to day challenges of being in a squadron and petty squadron politics, sometimes it's just a good idea to look around and appreciate everyone who is volunteering alongside you.

We're here for 3 missions and not all of us are here for all 3....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Larry Mangum

Telling someone to "Look it up" can be a correct answer, but then maybe they don't know what regulation to look it up in. Perhaps, if a person replied" Cadet Smith, CAPM 39-1 covers patch placement. Pleas refer to the manual and if you still have a question, please come back here and post your question.

Those who have been in CAP for a long time, tend to forget not everyone knows what regulation series covers what or maybe what the latest update/revision says. I have been in CAP for almost 23 years and have served at the squadron, wing, and region levels. My duty positions have included being an ES Director at the wing level, Deputy Director for Operations (ES) at the Region level, been an ICSS instructor, Lead ICSS Instructor, Deputy Commandant ICSS and ICSS Commandant at NESA. In addition I have served on national ES committees twice, and have helped write multiple revisions to CAPR 60-3. So to many people I am a subject matter expert (SME) on Emergency Services as it pertains to CAP. I say this to preface this, a college professor of mine, many years ago started a sophomore class in psychology with the question "Who is the dumbest person in this room?" and after a long pause in which none us answered, stated "It is I because the more I learn the less I know".  Which means no matter if you are a SME on something there is always more to learn and always someone who knows more than you do on a particular subject. For that reason alone, we need to check our ego's and open our ears, for sometimes that is how we learn new things or get new ideas.

Also don't assume common knowledge is all that common. What may have been "common knowledge" a few years ago, may no longer be common.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

SarDragon

Wow guy, I thought this could remain civil. No such luck. Irony at its finest.

I'm going to make a final comment of my own, as a forum member - there has been mention a couple of times of folks not liking what they hear, and continuing to argue their point as "I'm right and you're not". There is more than one of you doing exactly that thing.

So, at the request of more tham one poster, we are done here. With a little disappointment, Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret