New AF Uniform Reg Published

Started by Stonewall, December 04, 2021, 02:13:49 AM

Stonewall

Perhaps some changes in our future. Question is, how far in our future?

New 36-2903 uniform reg published.

Below are a few of the changes!

1) allows hands in pockets while standing or walking and beverage consumption as indicated while walking

2) changes male hair bulk standard to 2.5 inches

3) authorizes female hair accessories up to a 2-inch width

4) regulates female eyelash extensions to natural eyelash color, not to exceed 14 millimeters in length

5) authorizes permanent cosmetics for men, scalp only

6) authorizes commanders to allow tucking of Operational Camouflage Pattern (OCP) coat for duty as necessary and folding of cuff twice inward

7) authorizes wear of Velcro® pen/pencil holders on OCP sleeves authorizes wear of morale patches on OCP and Two-Piece Flight Duty Uniform (2PFDU)

9) authorizes unit patch or organizational symbol on OCP t-shirt

10) authorizes wear of tactical cap

11) authorizes sew-on nametapes and insignia on OCP fleece

12) authorizes wear of transparent piercing spacers

13) authorizes a ring to be worn on the thumb

14) authorizes use of cell phone while walking

15) authorizes wear of beret while performing duties outside of Primary Air Force Specialty Code (PAFSC) for applicable beret-wearing AFSCs

16) authorizes females optional wear of hosiery with dress uniforms

17) authorizes wear of sweatband with physical training gear

18) authorizes permanent wear of USAF Honor Guard badge for Airmen with an 8G000 and 85G0 AFSC

19) authorizes foreign aviation, medical insignia and parachutist badge to be worn outside of conferring country

20) grants commanders of 2A, 2F, 2G, 2M, 2P, 2S, 2T, 2W, 3E, 3D, and 1P AFSC members authority to allow wear of sage maintenance duty uniform

21) adds wear policy for multi-domain warfare badge

22) clarifies wear of Air Advisor tab

23) authorizes wear of Inter-American Air Forces Academy badge

24) authorizes physical training gear short and long sleeve shirts to be worn tucked or untucked

25) Clarified instructions for beards allowed for medical reason

26) Clarified instruction regarding authorized male and female hair color.

https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/dafi36-2903/dafi36-2903.pdf

[edit - added better link]
Serving since 1987.

dwb

Quote from: Stonewall on December 04, 2021, 02:13:49 AM14) authorizes use of cell phone while walking

The next revision will authorize patting your head and rubbing your belly at the same time

PHall

If you actually read the actual text in the AFI and not just the "headlines" in the summery you will see there are restrictions to most of this stuff. It's not that drastic of a change.

Jester

So I wasn't out of regs back when my hands mostly lived in my pockets, I was just ahead of my time.

Shuman 14

Quote from: Stonewall on December 04, 2021, 02:13:49 AM19) authorizes foreign aviation, medical insignia and parachutist badge to be worn outside of conferring country

I've never actually seen a foreign badge worn on a USAF uniform, how is it done?

What I mean is, in the Army you can wear one foreign badge and it's worn on the right side over the nametag or any unit awards worn on the right side and under the Regimental Crest. So where does the USAF put them? Do you wear them on the left... US Pilot Badge above Foreign Wings... or do you were US wings on the left and Foreign Wings on the right... do you put them someplace else?
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Jester

Quote from: Shuman 14 on December 06, 2021, 04:22:25 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on December 04, 2021, 02:13:49 AM19) authorizes foreign aviation, medical insignia and parachutist badge to be worn outside of conferring country

I've never actually seen a foreign badge worn on a USAF uniform, how is it done?

What I mean is, in the Army you can wear one foreign badge and it's worn on the right side over the nametag or any unit awards worn on the right side and under the Regimental Crest. So where does the USAF put them? Do you wear them on the left... US Pilot Badge above Foreign Wings... or do you were US wings on the left and Foreign Wings on the right... do you put them someplace else?

I've seen it worn in a similar fashion as on an Army uniform.  Usually non-AF badges that don't fit the "over the ribbon" category of occupational/qualification badges get referred to the relevant service directive.  Tabs, etc.

GroundHawg

Quote from: Shuman 14 on December 06, 2021, 04:22:25 PM

I have seen it quite a bit in Korea and Germany, mainly jump wings, the leistungen, and the schuetzenschner. Worn above the nameplate. I hope this does get updated for us as well. It would be nice for those who served in other countries militaries, as well as those of us who have earned bling abroad.

Shuman 14

Quote from: GroundHawg on December 07, 2021, 12:37:10 PMI have seen it quite a bit in Korea and Germany, mainly jump wings, the leistungen, and the schuetzenschner. Worn above the nameplate. I hope this does get updated for us as well. It would be nice for those who served in other countries militaries, as well as those of us who have earned bling abroad.

Well as for the Leistungen (i.e. GAFET, GMPB), I've always said the Air Force and the Naval Services should do like the German civilian uniformed agencies (i.e. Police Fire Services, etc.) do, they convert it to a ribbon with a miniature of the Badge itself in Gold, Silver or Bronze centered on a plain black ribbon. Then it fits on the uniform, in the ribbon stack, just like any other foreign decoration.

When I completed my GMPB test, I got a certificate (both in English and German), a full-size badge, a mini-lapel sized badge (for civilian clothes wear) and a black ribbon with the super mini badge on it.

The mini device is removable and will fit a standard US ribbon.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present