Just found out about CAP. Can someone give me more insight about joining?

Started by kobe243, November 25, 2021, 06:29:43 AM

kobe243

I just found out about CAP and see a nearby CAP senior squadron near me. I am based in the Bay Area and am an adult. I don't know anything about airplanes and flying but I am interested in serving the community and country. Can someone give me more insight into CAP and what you do in your duties? What is the time commitment like?

etodd

You'll get 987 different answers here, because every single squadron is different, sometimes day and night.

Your best bet is to visit nearby squadrons, as many as travel allows, and see what each does, and how you can plug in. Get to know the people in each as much as you can in a visit or two. Compare to other squadrons.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Holding Pattern

Quote from: kobe243 on November 25, 2021, 06:29:43 AMI just found out about CAP and see a nearby CAP senior squadron near me. I am based in the Bay Area and am an adult. I don't know anything about airplanes and flying but I am interested in serving the community and country. Can someone give me more insight into CAP and what you do in your duties? What is the time commitment like?

There is no requirement that you be involved on the airplane side of things, though of course we do emphasize aerospace education for both youth and adults.

As an adult I've been involved in our cyberspace education efforts and emergency services (ground search and rescue, incident management, shelter support) and education efforts along those lines as well. I've commanded a squadron and led outreach efforts to our local agencies to "sell" our capabilities to local agencies along with reaching out to schools to do presentations. As far as time allotted there have been weeks where I've put more into CAP than my day job. I've completed over 2000 hours of education online and in person in support of my work for CAP.

Another person in my squadron has attended 5 meetings in one year. She helps me with IT support projects on an as needed basis outside of the regular meetings. Maybe puts in 5 hours a month. Maybe.

CAP as an organization is very much a "you get what you put into it."

baronet68

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with this prospective member and then connected him with a couple of units in his area.  He's already attended his first meeting and I'm looking forward to hearing his feedback about CAP.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Pinecone

My advice is similar.  Visit a few units, if possible.  Attend a meeting or two and meet the people.

Each unit has its own personality.  Some are more laid back, some are more military than the military.

PLENTY of things to do other than airplanes.  But, you can also do airplane related things (Mission Scanner and Mission Observer) without becoming a pilot.