CAP Aircraft Searching for Steve Fossett

Started by _, September 04, 2007, 05:45:22 PM

KyCAP

Just for clarification, did they find a crash site in the active search area that was previously undiscovered? 
I haven't been clear on that and heard bits and pieces.   As an IC myself, I know it's a possibility to find something old and clarify with the AFRCC and FAA databases or to brief known existing sites in the area of operation to aircrews on the way out to the grids.

Just not clear from here....
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

alamrcn

I unfortunately don't remember the name or rank of the National Guard's Information Officer - a very beautiful, well spoken redhead - anyway...

On NBC's Today Show, she was asked how can you possibly coordinate a search of the entire Nevada desert? She responded with something like, "The Civil Air Patrol is very effeiciant with doing this, they are very well trained and very methoical in these types of searches. They have gridded maps..."

Etc, etc... she answered the question for about a minute all about praising the work of CAP. It was really cool. She was really hot.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

ZigZag911

Quote from: kycap on September 08, 2007, 11:36:11 PM
Just for clarification, did they find a crash site in the active search area that was previously undiscovered? 

At least two or three, possibly more.....it was not entirely clear in the TV piece, except that there have been at least a few crash sites that were previously unlocated.

CadetProgramGuy

I just viewed the cnn.com videos, they indicated that there have been 6 undocumented crash sites they have found, [my opinion] some which it seems to have been there for a decade or more [/my opinion]

Smokey

They did find several old crash sites which were not listed in the archives.  Some had been there for possibly decades, but no signs of remains----seems the local inhabitants ...aka critters....made off with what was left.

This was the 1300 update for today from CAWG...
Today, 58 personnel on base, 118 members have responded for this mission

16 aircraft at Bishop, 31 different aircraft used on the mission to date

91 in grid sorties for the mission for 213.4 hours

We have search over 7,000 square miles in California.

The Utah ARCHER aircraft will be reassigned to the Nevada Base this afternoon and will be replaced by the California ARCHER Air van.

Under a unified command with Nevada Wing, California continues to search the border grids into Nevada.  This afternoon, Nevada with search into California.

For Wingnut----Hope you at least got a haircut   :)

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Trouble

Saw a great report a couple days ago on FOX News about the ARCHER system, and the interview was with a US CAP Officer.  Most Fox Video clips shown when reporting on the search seem to be showing CAP Aircraft.   
Chris Pumphrey, Capt. CAP
MD-023

(C/FO ret.)

flyerthom

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on September 09, 2007, 02:21:06 AM
I just viewed the cnn.com videos, they indicated that there have been 6 undocumented crash sites they have found, [my opinion] some which it seems to have been there for a decade or more [/my opinion]

I'm not sure about the number but the rest is correct. No joy today.
TC

flyerthom

So no joy today. My crew came in from our last sortie of the day and saw the Airvan had arrived (no Gen Colgan it's not black). The NV Governor visited today.  6.9hours in the air for our crew alone today, 5.9 hours yesterday.

I just don't know how many NV wing aircraft were up but it was an impressive flight line. There are also blackhawks and other military rotor wings up. There is also a PD helicopter up. Nevada Highway patrol has its Cessnas up. It's a major combined effort under CAP ICS.

Keep up the vibes and prayers. Unfortunately I have to go back to the world Monday.
TC

brasda91

does anybody know how far away CAP resources have come, so far?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

arajca

PHall

Quote from: brasda91 on September 09, 2007, 01:24:12 PM

It's a Nevada Wing / California Wing show. The Airvan with the Archer System was specifically requested from Utah Wing.

As per the usual routine, they're begging for bodies during the week, so, if you can get clearance from your Wing, come on out.
Pick your favorite location, Minden, Nevada or Bishop, California.

JC004

Quote from: flyerthom on September 09, 2007, 04:07:30 AM
So no joy today. My crew came in from our last sortie of the day and saw the Airvan had arrived (no Gen Colgan it's not black)...

8)

RADIOMAN015

So how long is the search going to go on?  I've got to wonder if this search is going to set a record for the amount of resources that were used e.g. flying hours, type of aircraft, ground personnel etc?  It's too bad that he didn't at least use some typical VFR "flight following" routine with ATC (but perhaps the low altitude flying wouldn't allow ATC to properly followup him anyways.  BTW anyone know the largest/longest search mission that CAP ever conducted? (probably total flying hours would be the factor)

RADIOMAN015 

brasda91

Quote from: PHall on September 09, 2007, 04:29:25 PM
Quote from: brasda91 on September 09, 2007, 01:24:12 PM

It's a Nevada Wing / California Wing show. The Airvan with the Archer System was specifically requested from Utah Wing.

As per the usual routine, they're begging for bodies during the week, so, if you can get clearance from your Wing, come on out.
Pick your favorite location, Minden, Nevada or Bishop, California.

I would love to.  But, considering I'm in Western KY, I don't think it's feasible.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

mawr

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 09, 2007, 08:13:44 PM
BTW anyone know the largest/longest search mission that CAP ever conducted? (probably total flying hours would be the factor)

RADIOMAN015 

I don't recall total flight hours but AL Wing worked a mission similar to this in the early 90's and we went for 33 days straight before AFRCC stopped the search.  The plane was a composite homebuilt and it was found by hunters the following fall.
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

RiverAux

A big search effort, but nothing that would make it extraordinary for CAP.  To some extent other agencies are obviously more involved than they would be if this was Joe Schmo, but CAP is putting out the sort of effort we would for everybody. 

PHall

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 09, 2007, 08:13:44 PM
So how long is the search going to go on?  I've got to wonder if this search is going to set a record for the amount of resources that were used e.g. flying hours, type of aircraft, ground personnel etc?  It's too bad that he didn't at least use some typical VFR "flight following" routine with ATC (but perhaps the low altitude flying wouldn't allow ATC to properly followup him anyways.  BTW anyone know the largest/longest search mission that CAP ever conducted? (probably total flying hours would be the factor)

RADIOMAN015 

We work it until AFRCC decides to suspend the search. It's their call, not ours.
We make inputs, (leads, grid coverage, ground cover, etc.) but it's the AFRCC's decision.
On this particular search mission I can easily see it going for at least two if not three weeks before they pull the plug.
Just because of who the search target is...

RiverAux

A 3 week search wouldn't be out of the question no matter who it was given the apparently huge search area with few good leads (from what we know here).  It could easily take that long just to do first passes over a lot of grids. 

Nomex Maximus

Caption from abcnews.com picture of CAP colonel at controls of a Cessna. Can you spot the error?

"Civil Air Patrol pilot Col. Ed Lewis scans the area near Yerington, Nev., where millionaire adventurer Steve Fossett took off Monday, while searching for the missing aviator. The search footprint for the adventurer was expanded today from 600 square feet to 10,000 square feet -- an area roughly the size of Massachusetts. (Robert Durell, Pool/AP Photo)"

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

RiverAux

If that was their original search area I think they were quite wise to expand it.