CAP Aircraft Searching for Steve Fossett

Started by _, September 04, 2007, 05:45:22 PM

Pylon

Quote from: flyerthom on September 06, 2007, 06:35:42 PM
They're adding crews.  I'm on in the am. Thoughts, vibes, prayers, whatever please.

Good luck!  You'll get some prayers for sure.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

flyguy06

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 06, 2007, 05:25:06 PM
California Wing has 2 F/A-18's, if you believe the news media.

I'm just glad that Ryan is finally in a current uniform.  Today she was wearing the "US Air Force Aux" Command Patch (Not the new TP one) and she lost the loopy earrings.

You're focused on the wrong things at this point I think

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: flyerthom on September 06, 2007, 06:35:42 PM
They're adding crews.  I'm on in the am. Thoughts, vibes, prayers, whatever please.

Go find him first so we can get the details before everyone else!

Seriously, good luck, fly safe and do well.
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: flyguy06 on September 06, 2007, 06:45:50 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 06, 2007, 05:25:06 PM
California Wing has 2 F/A-18's, if you believe the news media.

I'm just glad that Ryan is finally in a current uniform.  Today she was wearing the "US Air Force Aux" Command Patch (Not the new TP one) and she lost the loopy earrings.

You're focused on the wrong things at this point I think

Probably.

But I was a PAO in the Army, and things like the PAO on National TV not representing the service precisely is a pet peeve of mine.  And, what is even more irritating, she is well-spoken and knowledgeable, and is doing an otherwise great job.  It is VERY hard to explain SAR procedures, FAA rules, and other kinds of military and aviation stuff to reporters, since they have virtually no background in either the military or aviation.  It is like trying to explain physics to third graders.  She is patient and keeps the explanations to a level that they can understand.

Therefore, I can't understand why she spent two days in an improper uniform.
Another former CAP officer

mawr

Just noticed on the recent briefing that the CAP PAO has updated her flight suit and she has no apparent ear rings today.  Looks like someone had a talk with her.  I agree that she seems quite proficient in her job, uniforms aside.
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

Nomex Maximus

Am I the only one who has noticed this? Isn't Major Ryan the same woman who is on the front of the "Opportunity Knocks" CAP recruiting brochure???
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

CASH172

Since I haven't seen the brochure in a while, I am about 99% sure I know who the person on it is and I can tell you that it isn't Maj Ryan.  I will say that it is a Maj from New Jersey Wing. 

CadetProgramGuy

Courtesy of cnn.com....

"A Nevada Civil Air Patrol C-130 used a thermal imaging camera during a nighttime flight but found no sign of Fossett"

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: CASH172 on September 07, 2007, 12:25:11 AM
Since I haven't seen the brochure in a while, I am about 99% sure I know who the person on it is and I can tell you that it isn't Maj Ryan.  I will say that it is a Maj from New Jersey Wing. 

And isn't that comedian and talk show host Ben Stein standing next to her?

EDIT: I'm kidding. They all look fine.
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

CASH172

I don't have a copy of the brochure itself.  But if I do remember correctly, the three individuals on there are: Col Robert Diduch the NER Commander, Maj Jennifer Rudolf Sweiker Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets, the third person whom you are also referring to, is someone I don't believe I've met, so I can't help you there.  However if my recollection serves me right, the third is a NJWG member, definitely not Ben Stein. 

EDIT: If you wanna see these three more, they're the aircrew in this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=VVK7tsFALZE

EDIT AGAIN:  I just asked around and the guy you're thinking as Ben Stein is actually Lt Col Capasso of NJWG Staff. 

bosshawk

Just to keep all you peeps informed about the search.  CAWG had 15 aircraft and almost 60 people at a base at the airport at Bishop(BIH) today.  Tomorrow looks like an even bigger day and the weekend will likely go bonkers.  Remember, we have 26 corporate aircraft in CAWG and most of them will be there.  If you ES nuts are really interested, BIH is about 30 miles southeast of Mammoth on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada Mt.  Absolutely beautiful place with mountains going up to 14000 ft right out of town.

Don't have a report on what Nevada Wing had on scene today: this is a coordinated search operation between the two wings.

Cheers.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

BlackKnight

Quote from: sardak on September 06, 2007, 02:45:41 AM
AFRCC completed the move to Tyndall in the spring.  They are located in the new Air and Space Operations Center which was formally opened on June 1. 

Mike, et. al.,

Thanks much for clearing that up.   Now I get to revise my "This is how SARSAT works" lecture.   :)
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

Nomex Maximus

cnn.com now has a video of Miles O'Brien piloting a Cirrus along with Major Ryan with the major explaining SAR to him.
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

MidwaySix

I posted the link, stills, and a KMZ file of the departure point here:

CAP flies with CNN to Tell the Story
http://capblog.typepad.com/capblog/2007/09/cap-flies-with-.html

Nice job Nevada!

- M6

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: mikeylikey on September 05, 2007, 08:46:14 PM
I like how yesterday a reporter questioned the AF Captain, "Captain has the AF taken over operations, and are you putting all of the AF assets into the air?".  The Captain responded "Your Civil Air Patrol, the Air Force Auxiliary, Responsible for almost all of the inland Search and Rescue in the United States, has taken command of the operation, the military has full confidence in CAP, and other agencies are cooperting with CAP's lead".  Reporter then says "is CAP a new Air Force project..........

This is an excellent example of why I DONT LIKE the name of CAP or Civil Air Patrol or USCAP or anything to identify us. ... Why for example our uniforms should say US Air Force Aux. (even if its hook and loop and interchangable with a CAP id tape.

If Ryan could identify herself as a Major in the Air Force Auxilliary, then those questions wouldnt be given and we wouldnt be lost to  media and the public at large.

JMHO

PS - has Ran thougt about giving out CAP factsheets to the media? ae- for background info?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SAR-EMT1

Also this quote from af.mil

"It's a team of military active duty, Guard and Reserve members, Civil Air Patrol, FAA, local authorities and concerned citizens working together on this rescue ... collectively we're doing everything possible to locate Mr. Fossett quickly and safely," said Major Williamson.

would it have been better ha they said
"AD, Guard, Res and AUX" ..... ?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Flying Pig

No I dont think so.   I think saying Civil Air Patrol was best.  The general public doesnt know what AF Auxiliary means.  When they look us up out of interest or curiosity, they are going to type Civil Air Patrol into their web browsers.

RiverAux

I have to agree with Flying Pig...until we ever get the name formally changed (the right way!), we should stick with "Civil Air Patrol" in order to build upong the small amount of name recognition we have now.  Ulimtately, I would rather have us be the AF Aux, but until its officialy, there isn't much point.

sardak

Quote from: MidwaySix on September 07, 2007, 05:47:48 PM
I posted the link, stills, and a KMZ file of the departure point here:
http://capblog.typepad.com/capblog/2007/09/cap-flies-with-.html

- M6
To go along with M6's kmz file, here is a link to overlay sectionals on Google Earth.
http://www.gelib.fox-fam.com/aeronautical-charts-us.htm

Open or download and open SectionalCharts.kml.

In Google Earth, open the Aeronautical Charts folder and select San Francisco.  Only one sectional can be open at a time.

You can fly the GE flight simulator with a Cirrus SR22 and the sectional chart open.

Mike

RiverAux

I was disappointed that the DoD left CAP out of their story on the Fossett search that ran on the Military Channel's "Around the Services" series today.  Just talked about the Air National Guard.