Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Garibaldi on January 27, 2014, 10:38:08 PM

The Great Santini.

Quote from: ol'fido on January 27, 2014, 10:37:10 PM
The Great Santini

Yup. One of the better movies.

If you ever get a chance, find on-line The Great Santini's eulogy by Pat Conroy. It is outstanding.

***We will now return you to your regularly scheduled Encampment Stories, already in progress!***
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

PHall

Quote from: Cindi on January 27, 2014, 05:22:49 PM
Back in 1968, Oregon Wing had our encampment at Fairchild Air Force Base, a SAC base then, located near Spokane, Washington. Our transportation from Portland was on some C-119s, the old Flying Boxcars or Flying Coffins as they were known then. Cadets were seated against the sides of the plane with the luggage in the middle so everyone could see everybody else.
The flight was very turbulent and riding in the Flying Boxcar was very noisy. There was a garbage can in the back of the plane. My buddy was near the back acting like he was trying to sleep with a spoon sticking out of his flight jacket. My job was to act like I was really getting sick from all the turbulence, which was not that hard to do. I had a barf bag prepared in advance with beef stew in it. As I saw several people looking at me, I decided it was time. Grabbing the barf bag and covering my mouth, I put on a good show of barfing my guts out. When I was finished, I handed the barf bag to the person next to me to hand from one person to another down the line to be put in the garbage can in the back of the plane. It seemed all eyes were on the barf bag and as it made its way to my buddy he said thanks and took his spoon out of his flight jacket and proceeded to eat the beef stew in the barf bag. Seeing him eat that barf (beef stew), several cadets on the other side of the plane just let go and I can still remember that awful smell coming from our barf encrusted luggage.

Cream of Mushroom soup works much better! >:D

Not that I would know..... :angel:

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: PHall on January 28, 2014, 02:41:54 AM
Back in 1968, Oregon Wing had our encampment at Fairchild Air Force Base, a SAC base then, located near Spokane, Washington. Our transportation from Portland was on some C-119s, the old Flying Boxcars or Flying Coffins as they were known then. Cadets were seated against the sides of the plane with the luggage in the middle so everyone could see everybody else.
The flight was very turbulent and riding in the Flying Boxcar was very noisy. There was a garbage can in the back of the plane. My buddy was near the back acting like he was trying to sleep with a spoon sticking out of his flight jacket. My job was to act like I was really getting sick from all the turbulence, which was not that hard to do. I had a barf bag prepared in advance with beef stew in it. As I saw several people looking at me, I decided it was time. Grabbing the barf bag and covering my mouth, I put on a good show of barfing my guts out. When I was finished, I handed the barf bag to the person next to me to hand from one person to another down the line to be put in the garbage can in the back of the plane. It seemed all eyes were on the barf bag and as it made its way to my buddy he said thanks and took his spoon out of his flight jacket and proceeded to eat the beef stew in the barf bag. Seeing him eat that barf (beef stew), several cadets on the other side of the plane just let go and I can still remember that awful smell coming from our barf encrusted luggage.

Yeah, but beef stew tastes better!  ;D 

TexasCadet

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on January 28, 2014, 04:36:49 PM

Perhaps oatmeal? >:D

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: TexasCadet on January 28, 2014, 10:28:11 PM

Pea Soup?   >:D >:D >:D >:D

TexasCadet

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on January 28, 2014, 11:12:25 PM

Pea soup is kind of watery, but it has those nice little bits of peas it. Oatmeal, while it doesn't have any chunks, make a great splat sound. >:D

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: TexasCadet on January 28, 2014, 11:15:37 PM
Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on January 28, 2014, 11:12:25 PM

Pea soup is kind of watery, but it has those nice little bits of peas it. Oatmeal, while it doesn't have any chunks, make a great splat sound. >:D

True  >:D >:D ;) >:D

ol'fido

Apparently, this is a pretty common trick. A buddy of mine went on IACE to the UK and they did that on a RAF C-130. In that instance, they used hot coffee and the loadmaster at the back drank straight from the bag. :P
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: ol'fido on January 29, 2014, 12:52:04 AM
Apparently, this is a pretty common trick. A buddy of mine went on IACE to the UK and they did that on a RAF C-130. In that instance, they used hot coffee and the loadmaster at the back drank straight from the bag. :P

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :clap: :clap: :clap:

PHall

Our favorite target was new Med Techs and Flight Nurses. They were just so darn trusting. >:D

And you could count on plenty of help from their fellow Flight Nurses and Med Techs too! :o

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: PHall on January 29, 2014, 03:54:26 AM
Our favorite target was new Med Techs and Flight Nurses. They were just so darn trusting. >:D

And you could count on plenty of help from their fellow Flight Nurses and Med Techs too! :o

At KSWG we picked on Logistics & admin  >:D >:D >:D

C/Awesomenesss

Is there anybody on here that went to the Nebraska wing encampment?

If so share a story?

Brit_in_CAP

Former RAF guy comment: yep, absolutely.  Also worked well in Nimrod MR1, MR2 with UK Air Cadets on board at Annual Camp....apparently muesli was the favored item then....apparently 'cos being a ground pounder I wouldn't know about these things.... :angel:

Actually, as the Air Cadet Liaison Officer for encampment I might have had some insight.. >:D  That said, the ACLO was a great collateral job, to be honest.

ol'fido

:clap:
Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on January 29, 2014, 03:22:17 PM

Former RAF guy comment: yep, absolutely.  Also worked well in Nimrod MR1, MR2 with UK Air Cadets on board at Annual Camp....apparently muesli was the favored item then....apparently 'cos being a ground pounder I wouldn't know about these things.... :angel:

Actually, as the Air Cadet Liaison Officer for encampment I might have had some insight.. >:D  That said, the ACLO was a great collateral job, to be honest.
:clap: :clap:

Is Davies a common name in the UK. We used to have a member here in IL that came to encampment for several years named Deb Davies. She had a wonderfully pleasant British accent.

Brit_in_CAP

It is, as my wife attests, a very common name in the UK!  Strictly, my spelling - Davies - is Welsh and the English version is Davis.  I also have a very pleasant accent, apparently... ;D

I did some research when I first joined CAP, using CAPTALK.  There are quite a lot of Brits in the CAP, one of whom comes from a place very close to where I grew up.  So far, I'm the only one I know of who has regular duty time in one of the British Armed Services although I have encountered, via CAPTALK, several who, like me, have 'prior service' in the Air Training Corps.  Small world.

cadeteaster13

Quote from: Kal on March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM
Ok, everyone share some stories from encampment. War stories, something amusing, or something you thought was odd or interesting.

So we had just got out of DFAC early and were studying our SOP's. When the cadet next to me raises his hand,

Basic: "Sergeant Permission to adjust"

FS:"Adjust what?"

Basic:"My Pants"

FS:"Why?"
:-[ ::)
Basic: "There's a fly in them" ??? :o

Turns out when he put on his BDU bottoms a fly got trapped in there haha :clap: :clap: :) ;) :D ;D :o 8) ::)

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: cadeteaster13 on February 02, 2014, 09:07:45 AM
Quote from: Kal on March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM
Ok, everyone share some stories from encampment. War stories, something amusing, or something you thought was odd or interesting.

So we had just got out of DFAC early and were studying our SOP's. When the cadet next to me raises his hand,

Basic: "Sergeant Permission to adjust"

FS:"Adjust what?"

Basic:"My Pants"

FS:"Why?"
:-[ ::)
Basic: "There's a fly in them" ??? :o

Turns out when he put on his BDU bottoms a fly got trapped in there haha :clap: :clap: :) ;) :D ;D :o 8) ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

AACS Cadet21

I forget if I posted this already but here goes:

So one night during formation, one of the TACOs, an Army guy who'd just turned senior, runs through formation with a plastic iron-man mask on.  ;D ;D 8) 8) Later, he ran around the squadron building with it on. He also visted med-bay  ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D

ol'fido

But was he wearing a PT belt? 8)

arajca

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on February 02, 2014, 08:29:06 PM
I forget if I posted this already but here goes:

So one night during formation, one of the TACOs, an Army guy who'd just turned senior, runs through formation with a plastic iron-man mask on.  ;D ;D 8) 8) Later, he ran around the squadron building with it on. He also visted med-bay  ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D
IIRC, after encampment, he was asked to not return until he matured.