Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

Eclipse

^ Even females - it's going to be contraband at most encampments, anyway.  That much hairspray is going to take forever
to get out of your hair every night, and most days you're in BDUs anyway.

Any necessary securing of hair should be accomplished with pins.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Quote from: Eclipse on September 12, 2013, 03:00:34 PM

Really?

Out of all the things I felt I needed to micro-manage as an encampment commander, "how females manage their hair" never made the list.

YMMV.   ;)

Eclipse

Well, I have also never seen it raised as an issue, nor seen hairspray at an encampment.

If it's actually setting off the carbon monoxide detectors (which I find somewhat apocryphal), then it's clearly a danger to everyone.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

While I have not seen hairspray at encampments, I've smelled it. :)
If I see it, I'm probably someplace I don't want to be at that time..

..or they're going to fail that bunk inspection.

Huey Driver

Quote from: Eclipse on September 12, 2013, 03:45:23 PM
Well, I have also never seen it raised as an issue, nor seen hairspray at an encampment.

If it's actually setting off the carbon monoxide detectors (which I find somewhat apocryphal), then it's clearly a danger to everyone.

True story, Eclipse. It went beyond that and actually induced sickness to several.

However, I believe there was another factor.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Майор Хаткевич

At the Airshow last weekend, the NJROTC females all had their hair done and hair spray was used to keep the style in place. The Bees/Wasps LOVED IT! Unfortunately, while some would go into the fetal position/shift away, others would try to waive the creatures away. Not five minutes after I asked "Little Boss" what our procedure on bee stings is, I heard the first radio call that a cadet (non-CAP) was stung. Now, I'm Allergic (or at least my mom is, I've never been stung/tested, but she was unable to walk for 3 weeks so...), it can be life or death, and I'd say for next time, LIMIT the hairspray as a safety issue.

Eclipse

Were they in dress uniforms?

I've always found it odd that the JROTCs send their cadets in dress uniforms to do dirty work.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Same as the last 5 times I've gone since 2004.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 12, 2013, 09:10:42 PM

Weird - you see CAP cadets in those photos in BDUs, and the JROTC cadets in cracker jack whites, dress uniforms, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

The Happy Sergeant

heres a funny one for you. so we're at cascade falcon XVII and we are waiting in line a the D/FAC, and a line of geese goes marching by. we are out of formation and just milling around and one of the cadets says "HEY, those geese can march better than WE can!!!" we all cracked up laughing, though needless to say our flight staff were not impressed
Fight to Fly, Fly to Fight, Fight to Win
                                                      ~USAF motto

Peeka

Quote from: The Happy Sergeant on September 12, 2013, 09:36:20 PM
heres a funny one for you. so we're at cascade falcon XVII and we are waiting in line a the D/FAC, and a line of geese goes marching by. we are out of formation and just milling around and one of the cadets says "HEY, those geese can march better than WE can!!!" we all cracked up laughing, though needless to say our flight staff were not impressed

The word you are searching for is gaggle. Like a gaggle of geese.....  >:D

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on September 12, 2013, 09:33:22 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 12, 2013, 09:10:42 PM

Weird - you see CAP cadets in those photos in BDUs, and the JROTC cadets in cracker jack whites, dress uniforms, etc.

Actually last year Sea Cadets wore NWUs. First time I saw them in utilities.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

FWIW, when my daughter was in Army JROTC, they weren't issued BDU's/ABU's until they were in their 3rd year...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Ned on September 12, 2013, 03:40:20 PM

Really?

Out of all the things I felt I needed to micro-manage as an encampment commander, "how females manage their hair" never made the list.

YMMV.   ;)

What's next? Toilet paper should go over or under?

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 13, 2013, 11:37:56 AM
FWIW, when my daughter was in Army JROTC, they weren't issued BDU's/ABU's until they were in their 3rd year...

Admittedly a LONG time ago, but when I was in AJROTC they did not routinely issue "fatigues" to everyone. Rifle team got them. The only mass issue was to those who signed up for "camp" during Spring break. Can't blame them, as uniforms were a two-way process, issue and turn-in, with mandatory cleaning/laundry after turn-in.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on September 13, 2013, 11:25:52 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on September 13, 2013, 11:37:56 AM

Admittedly a LONG time ago, but when I was in AJROTC they did not routinely issue "fatigues" to everyone. Rifle team got them. The only mass issue was to those who signed up for "camp" during Spring break. Can't blame them, as uniforms were a two-way process, issue and turn-in, with mandatory cleaning/laundry after turn-in.

When I was in AFROTC (2003) only the POCs and sophomores going to camp were allowed to wear BDUs. Us GMCs had to wear blues all the time. We also couldn't wear patent leathers until (if) we went to summer camp. Lots of rules regarding uniform wear. Tuck in your shoe laces, can't roll up your BDU sleeves unless you completed summer camp, etc etc...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Pulsar

Quote from: C/CMSgt Collins on September 12, 2013, 10:21:30 AM
Quote from: Pulsar on September 07, 2013, 11:58:02 PM
Hairspray
I went to PA wing encampment. TD01 Our flight commanders were constantly bellowing at us, "YOUR HAIR LOOKS ATROCIOUS!!, you should use so much hairspray, if you bump your head on your bunk, it won't hurt because you have a HELMET HEAD!  ...Training Day 03, the carbon monoxide detectors were going off. We found out it was from all the hairspray we were using. After that, no hairspray use was aloud inside the barracks.  ::)
What year did you go? Because that happened at PA LDC next year.

2013 Encampment. The LDC girls were upstairs. so they had to come out with us when the fire department got there.
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Pulsar

^ Even females - it's going to be contraband at most encampments, anyway.  That much hairspray is going to take forever
to get out of your hair every night, and most days you're in BDUs anyway.

They were really serious about it. We used lots of pins; but they wouldn't accept one wind blown stray hair. So they told us the hairspray bit.
::)
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Pulsar

Quote from: JerseyCadet on September 12, 2013, 06:45:36 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 12, 2013, 03:45:23 PM

True story, Eclipse. It went beyond that and actually induced sickness to several.

However, I believe there was another factor.

Sure was. That same night there was food poisoning. :-\
C/LtCol Neutron Star