Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

PA Guy

Mavvrikk,

Discipline does not equal punishment.  Take the time to go online and research it.

Also go online to the CAP website and look up the following regulations:  CAPR  chap. 9 para. 1a and CAPR 52-16 chap. 1 para. 6c2.

Do your homework and you will be miles ahead of many of your counterparts who are too lazy to look anything up.  Gee, that could be a lesson in discipline itself.

Mavvrikk

Extremepredjudice

Not really an encampment story. It is a NCSA story...

Our SA (Senior Advisor) (He was a police officer for 32+ years) told us (the flight) to grab our blankets and put them over our heads as a meager amount of protection in case of a fire/fire alarm.

So one morning (I think... it is kinda a blur now...) the fire alarm goes off. So we all grab our blankets and head down stairs and meet up at our designated meeting location.

Well, we all had white blankets.... And we looked like a bunch of Klan members.

So we got in trouble for that.

Then, one night during showers a fire alarm goes off, (Our SA told us before this to get our towels, because well they didn't say no towels!) so we grab our towels and go to our designated area (after we were all accounted for we moved to a common location with everyone else at the NCSA).

We overheard the executive staff saying "this isn't a drill." So our flight starts to panic, since it went off on our floor first, what did we leave on??? Well, the fire dept. comes and clears the building and we went up to our floor and immediately checked all the irons.

Safe.....

WRONG -- the fire alarm goes off again. Starting at our floor.

SOOOO we run outside again, the fire dept. comes out again, and every time they turned the alarm off it went back on in a few seconds.

The problem was people taking hot showers, and our floor (the top floor) was getting so hot the fire alarms went off. Yeah, that hot.  :'( :'(
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on July 26, 2012, 01:36:07 AM

Our SA (Senior Advisor) (He was a police officer for 32+ years) told us (the flight) to grab our blankets and put them over our heads as a meager amount of protection in case of a fire/fire alarm.

So one morning (I think... it is kinda a blur now...) the fire alarm goes off. So we all grab our blankets and head down stairs and meet up at our designated meeting location.

snicker...hehehehe

Then, one night during showers a fire alarm goes off, (Our SA told us before this to get our towels, because well they didn't say no towels!) so we grab our towels and go to our designated area (after we were all accounted for we moved to a common location with everyone else at the NCSA).

We overheard the executive staff saying "this isn't a drill." So our flight starts to panic, since it went off on our floor first, what did we leave on??? Well, the fire dept. comes and clears the building and we went up to our floor and immediately checked all the irons.

Safe.....

SOOOO we run outside again, the fire dept. comes out again, and every time they turned the alarm off it went back on in a few seconds.

The problem was people taking hot showers, and our floor (the top floor) was getting so hot the fire alarms went off. Yeah, that hot.  :'( :'(

Beats the time I got the fire department out to our building at work because I burned a bagel.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 26, 2012, 01:47:31 AM
Beats the time I got the fire department out to our building at work because I burned a bagel.

Entire dorms have been evacuated for burnt popcorn before ;).

Garibaldi

OK OK time to get this thread back to the humorous and "no $$&# this really happened" type of thing.

1985, Travis ANGB, Savannah, GA encampment.

Two cadet officers decided to walk to the showers wearing nothing but towels, their hats, and shower shoes. Usually not a big deal but the rule was go there dressed, come back dressed. The female barracks were fairly close and we didn't want them to swoon or anything.

They came back after doing their thing and for some reason decided not to go through their door. The way our barracks were set up was that two flights could occupy one barracks, with a door between, which would remain locked and the door window covered. The other end to their area was occupied by senior member TAC officers. They decided to go knock on the SM side for some reason. I was watching with about 10 other people because you don't really see two teenagers walking around in towels. They knocked.

An older SM opened the door, took one look, grinned real big and grabbed the lead guy's towel and slammed the door. The cadet officers set a land speed record to get to their end before the SM could race through and lock the other side.

Sadly, the SM involved had only a few months left to live but didn't know it. He'd been acting funny all week and I'd heard later that a brain tumor claimed him not too long after encampment.

CAP4117

ol'fido

Safe.....

Volk Field, 1983. The base fire department had to come ventilate the Alpha(female) Squadron barracks. Somehow ::) they had discharged the fire extinguisher which was a Purple K extinguisher. :P "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do." >:D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

HGjunkie

Honor Guard Academy Fire Alarm failures

Oh man, that was a fun night. A couple guys in my flight had to take 3 showers because they kept getting interrupted by the alarms...  ;D

That was your flight with the blankets? I thought that looked kinda ridiculous, lol.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Extremepredjudice

QuoteThat was your flight with the blankets? I thought that looked kinda ridiculous, lol.
Yeah, but when there was talk of sleeping in the gym, who had blankets, and who didn't?  ;)

The blankets offered some protection from sparks in case of a real fire.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Extremepredjudice

Ok, just got home from ATS...

O-course, there is a rappel tower, and I am on top and am next in line. Suddenly another ATS cadet comes up with an ATS staff member. The cadet is sobbing, he gets "expidented" and goes ahead of me, the poor cadet was shaking like a leaf. The USA DI on the tower literally was hanging upside down off the side of the tower talking the cadet down. It took thirty minutes to get the cadet into the L position and to start to descend...

After I went, and we were on the ground, another cadet told me why the one cadet was so afraid. Last year he did it, and the person on belay wasn't paying attention, and the cadet fell almost immediately, and the belay person arrested him seconds before impact. I believe the tower is 60-80 feet high...

THAT, ladies and gents, is conquering your fears.

Edit: Oh, and every day they play taps and revelry. But the last day we woke up to thunderstruck, and a bunch of other awesome music while we cleaned our barracks.

The night of the banquet the ATS commandant gave every female a rose. So after the banquet, in our barracks I asked for a rose, and the commandant scowled and growled at me, but he gave me one, and after the ATS C/CC was done addressing us I asked to make a statement and gave the c/cc my rose. The whole ATS started laughing and clapping. The C/CC cracked the first smile of ATS... Good times.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Garibaldi

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on August 04, 2012, 05:39:08 PM

O-course, there is a rappel tower, and I am on top and am next in line. Suddenly another ATS cadet comes up with an ATS staff member. The cadet is sobbing, he gets "expidented" and goes ahead of me, the poor cadet was shaking like a leaf. The USA DI on the tower literally was hanging upside down off the side of the tower talking the cadet down. It took thirty minutes to get the cadet into the L position and to start to descend...

After I went, and we were on the ground, another cadet told me why the one cadet was so afraid. Last year he did it, and the person on belay wasn't paying attention, and the cadet fell almost immediately, and the belay person arrested him seconds before impact. I believe the tower is 60-80 feet high...

Yup. Had I had a similar experience on my first rappel, you couldn't have gotten me down with the promise of money or women. Betcha that cadet went running back up to the top to do it again?

Cap'n

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on August 04, 2012, 05:39:08 PM

Not really important, but did this happen at the COWG Encampment? If so, I was there during the incident.

Extremepredjudice

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Cap'n

In any case, that is a traumatic experience, and the cadet should be very proud to face his fears that way. I've been involved in a similar experience, and can admit I will not be going up any of those courses any time soon. Kudos to him.

HGjunkie

I think I remember that particular incident from last year...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Higgins

We had this guy in our room who had a real sleep talking problem. The worst part was, he slept on the rack directly above me. Every night after nights out it was the same cycle of events. About an hour after lights out it was nothing but farting noises and muffled laughter. Another hour after that was when the real fun began. The sleeptalker would start making strange gurgling noises and grunts and whatnot. Now what comes next is completely true. He would always have some kind of sleep talking war story about vietnam. The first thing he said was "drop the napalm" and the entire room was woken up by some hysterical laughter. He then proceeded to tell a dramatic and interesting story about some kind of battle which never happened. That's encampment for ya.
Cadet Staff Sergeant Brendan D. Higgins, CAP
Delaware Valley Composite Squadron, NJWG

a2capt

^^^ Too many movies .. too early on ;-)

AngelWings

Here's a JROTC one:

I was doing the LRC at the range and there is this one course we had to complete. The one with two tubes you have to climb into and then you have two poles in the center of a sand/water pit. I've done this one before with CAP.

I take charge of the situation even though I wasn't the team leader, just because it was so hot out. Everything is going fine. I was told to stay on the sidelines half way through, not because I messed up, but because I was leading everyone through the obstacle too well. I was "complete decimated by a mortar." So the guy in charge now, a great guy with a great sense of humor, is wrapping up the course. Welp, he was the last person left and had gotten one of the planks over. He had the ammo can straddled in between his legs. The board is slipping, slipping, BOOM!

He fell down and got an ammo can slammed into a place an ammo can should never go. It looked PAINFUL. His face contorted up, and because the injury was so epic, we were given a pass...

Higgins

Quote from: a2capt on August 21, 2012, 05:11:32 AM
^^^ Too many movies .. too early on ;-)
You hit it right on the nose. The second we got up in the morning thats the first thing we told him.
Cadet Staff Sergeant Brendan D. Higgins, CAP
Delaware Valley Composite Squadron, NJWG