A once in a lifetime experience...

Started by Eclipse, April 22, 2011, 03:10:38 AM

Eclipse

During the first week of Encampment up at Great Lakes, we had what I was told was
an "unplanned" opportunity to retire the colors on our "ship" for the evening.  On base,
each training ship is named for a current or historic fighting vessel, and each has its
own Ensign and other flags which are raised and lowered each day.

We moved the entire encampment, all 140+ participants, out through the quarterdeck
and onto the area surrounding the flag.  One of the Petty Officers working with us explained
the procedures and history around the nightly ceremony, and two of our cadets who had been
working with another Petty Officer earlier, marched out to their places in the same way we
have seen recruits do it every night.

The evening was unusually still - a heavy fog had fallen over the RTC and visibility was so low
that we could barely see the flag detail from the USS Hopper next door, and behind them
was nothing but a sea of thick white fog.  By sunset we were all but alone on the deck.

The encampment was in an unusually tight formation, surrounding the flagpole, with the TACs
all together wearing their red hats, and in the same uniform, which is somewhat unusual.

I stood off to the right with the senior staff and took it all in, amazed at the once-in-a-lifetime
experience the cadets were having as they lowered and folded the flag.

Sadly, Navy rules precluded us from photographing the event, but in some ways that made it more special,
since the images are now ours alone to hold forever.

As we formed up to go back to our compartment there were comments from a few people of "You have to see this..."
I couldn't tell what was going on as I was, as usual, near the back of the line and one of the last to come in.  One of
the cadets who had retired the flag was standing just inside the Quarterdeck door, holding the folded flag in front of
him, and each member touched it as they made their way back inside.

I was just behind one of my best CAP buddies and just about lost it when I realized what I was witnessing - something
none of us will ever forget.

As some of you may know, I was standing down as encampment commander this year after 8 years.  An activity that
has the best part of me running through it.  I view Spring Encampment as the highlight of my service to date.  The decision to
place it in someone else's capable hands was not an easy one, but it was time.

As it turned out, the flag retirement was by no means unplanned, and near the end of encampment graduation, I was presented
with that same flag - the one which had flown over the Arleigh Burke, been retired by two cadets, and touched
by everyone there - by none other than the RTC Commander himself, Captain Stephen Bethke.

Graduation tends to be a very emotional time for me every year, as the relief of a mission accomplished washes
over me, coupled with our fine young men and women parading in the ceremonial hall for their family and friends.
This year was especially rough, being my last at the helm, and there were two occasions during graduation
where I could not finish reading narratives for decorations being presented to my staff.  I had to hand them to someone else to
read while I composed myself.

So you can imagine the rush of emotions while standing at attention holding a flag presented by a full Navy Captain, while a
citation regarding the presentation was read, and I struggled to remember what to do with a flag when presented, whether to
salute him with the flag in my hand, and what my last name was.

I have been incredibly blessed during my service to CAP.  I've put in a lot of hard work, and probably too much brute-force effort,
but I've had the good fortune to have it pay off 10 fold for my effort, and I like to think that I've been able to make opportunities
for others as well.  My only wish is that these types of experiences could be more common across the board - less about timing
and more about program.

The stuff in the brochures really does happen, folks...

I know I am not alone in experiences like these.  How about some more positive, once in a lifetime stories?

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

PWK-GT

And here it was flying the 'day of'...unbeknownst to Eclipse (had to get crafty with this shot due to USN OPSEC rules):

"Is it Friday yet"

N Harmon

Very cool, and congratulations on a job well done.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Майор Хаткевич

I miss all the great things lately...

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on April 22, 2011, 03:10:38 AM

As some of you may know, I was standing down as encampment commander this year after 8 years.  An activity that
has the best part of me running through it.  I view Spring Encampment as the highlight of my service to date.  The decision to place it in someone else's capable hands was not an easy one, but it was time.

As it turned out, the flag retirement was by no means unplanned, and near the end of encampment graduation, I was presented with that same flag - the one which had flown over the Arleigh Burke, been retired by two cadets, and touched by everyone there - by none other than the RTC Commander himself, Captain Stephen Bethke.

Graduation tends to be a very emotional time for me every year, as the relief of a mission accomplished washes
over me, coupled with our fine young men and women parading in the ceremonial hall for their family and friends.
This year was especially rough, being my last at the helm, and there were two occasions during graduation
where I could not finish reading narratives for decorations being presented to my staff.  I had to hand them to someone else to read while I composed myself.

So you can imagine the rush of emotions while standing at attention holding a flag presented by a full Navy Captain, while a citation regarding the presentation was read, and I struggled to remember what to do with a flag when presented, whether to salute him with the flag in my hand, and what my last name was.

I have been incredibly blessed during my service to CAP.  I've put in a lot of hard work, and probably too much brute-force effort, but I've had the good fortune to have it pay off 10 fold for my effort, and I like to think that I've been able to make opportunities for others as well.  My only wish is that these types of experiences could be more common across the board - less about timing and more about program.

Well I for one salute you sir for you dedication of 8 years of being in charge of an encampment.  You were well deserving of the recognition afforded to you :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
RM

Walkman

mclarke

I miss NTC/RTC Great Lakes. Amazing story and congratulations. That is quite the honor.

SarDragon

Quote from: mclarke on April 27, 2011, 03:53:45 AM
I miss NTC/RTC Great Lakes. Amazing story and congratulations. That is quite the honor.

I, OTOH, do not miss Great Mistakes at all. My stay there was longer and less pleasant than your encampment than your encampment might have been.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mclarke

Quote from: SarDragon on April 27, 2011, 05:40:45 AM
Quote from: mclarke on April 27, 2011, 03:53:45 AM

I, OTOH, do not miss Great Mistakes at all. My stay there was longer and less pleasant than your encampment than your encampment might have been.

I wish I could say I went to encampment there, however, I did. I was born and raised in Kenosha, WI (40 or so minutes North of NAVSTA Great Lakes). I actually had got serious with an E-9's daughter, so there were a lot of perks to visiting the RTC side and watching the recruits screw up. In addition too, I worked in the galleys. Do you know the civilians working there are making 11/hour? I mean seriously, I am tempted to move back to the area for no other reason than a decent job with pay.

davidsinn

Quote from: mclarke on April 27, 2011, 12:09:33 PM

I wish I could say I went to encampment there, however, I did. I was born and raised in Kenosha, WI (40 or so minutes North of NAVSTA Great Lakes). I actually had got serious with an E-9's daughter, so there were a lot of perks to visiting the RTC side and watching the recruits screw up. In addition too, I worked in the galleys. Do you know the civilians working there are making 11/hour? I mean seriously, I am tempted to move back to the area for no other reason than a decent job with pay.

You dated a Master Chief's daughter and can still breathe without a straw? I can't decide if you're brave or stupid ;D My Grandfather was a Chief so I know of what I speak... ;)
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

meganite

That is an amazing story! Thank you for your service :) I don't know what else to say.