Main Menu

Light sunscreen

Started by Eclipse, August 18, 2014, 06:38:32 PM

Eclipse

As we all know, water and sunscreen are the only tools really needed for SAR - it must be re-applied
every 5-10 minutes and inspected by an SET to insure members look like a Tactical Kabuki team.

I grabbed some olde stuff out of the bike last weekend, long expired, and it made me smell like
I'd rolled in old nickels.  I chose to forgo it the next day and pretty much baked to a crisp.

Anyone have any recommendations on a light sunscreen that actually works worth a darn?
I'd prefer a spray because I hate having that stuff all over my hands after application.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Long sleeve shirt, pants, and hat.  They are better than sunscreen. 

Yes, I wear those even when temperatures reach 96F with 80% humidity (current conditions). 

As long as the sunscreen is 30 or higher SPF, it is fine.  I never had a problem with Coppertone on my face or during times of swimming.

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on August 18, 2014, 06:38:32 PM
As we all know, water and sunscreen are the only tools really needed for SAR - it must be re-applied
every 5-10 minutes and inspected by an SET to insure members look like a Tactical Kabuki team.

I grabbed some olde stuff out of the bike last weekend, long expired, and it made me smell like
I'd rolled in old nickels.  I chose to forgo it the next day and pretty much baked to a crisp.

Anyone have any recommendations on a light sunscreen that actually works worth a darn?
I'd prefer a spray because I hate having that stuff all over my hands after application.

My son has almost transparent skin. I've been using 30spf Walmart brand spray on him all summer and he is still Casper-white.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Spaceman3750

I prefer the long sleeve/long pants/hat approach as well. It's not great if you're literally laying in the sun, but for most other things it's fine.

Then again, not really what you asked for.

Slim

Between sunburns and work, my face and head-especially my ears-burn very easily.

Best thing I found is clear zinc oxide cream.  Comes in a smallish vial, SPF45, goes on clean, and stays on.  One application keeps me covered for 6ish hours working at a race track (minimal shade, heat/sweating, etc.).  I use it religiously when I'm going to be outside for any length of time, and don't burn when I use it.  Of course, I wear a hat and find shade when and where I can.  The vial I have now has lasted me about 2 years.

Slim

wuzafuzz

For starters, I hate applying sunscreen.  Most sunscreens were dreadful to wear.

Neutrogena UltraSheer Dry Touch sunscreen is my weapon of choice, in SPF 30.  After applied it doesn't feel greasy, which was my primary gripe with sunscreens I tried in the past.  Another plus, it doesn't craze plastics like some sunscreens (especially some of the aerosol variants.). It's on the expensive side, but after too many trips to the sun doctor I invest in sunscreen without hesitation. As a hairy armed American I find this stuff a pain to apply on my arms, but once it absorbs it's fine.

A few weeks ago my doc suggested adding a daily sunscreen/moisturizer to my face, even if my only outdoor time is driving to and from work.  Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer with Sunscreen SPF 50 is my new best friend. It applies easily, although it's much easier when I conduct a little weed abatement with a razor.  The whole moisturizer thing seemed a little weird (isn't that girly stuff!?), but avoiding more visits to freeze or blast wannabe skin cancers is more important to me. Photodynamic therapy is such fun  >:(

Lightweight long sleeve shirts, long pants, and wide-brim hats complete the sun battling kit.  Those are reserved for days where expect significant time basking under the Sun.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."