Army adopts "Pinks and Greens" for 2020

Started by Eclipse, November 12, 2018, 08:35:36 PM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Quote from: NIN on November 13, 2018, 12:17:35 PM
Combination Three (1549 shirt & trousers) was my *favorite* combo as a cadet. Only wore it like 3 times. Stuck out like a sore thumb.

If I was going to build a "historical uniform combo," that would be it.

I have the Coast Guard version "Winter Dress Blue".  Looks really sharp, can only wear it November thru March... It's really warm as it is.
Mike Johnston

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: OldGuy on November 13, 2018, 03:09:39 AM
No one probably cares, but in my opinion, the classiest uniform combo was the Ike Jacket with the long sleeved 1549 shade shirt and same shade trousers.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/199974-usaf-midnight-blue-dress-shirt/

How did you manage to wear a uniform like that?

The Ike jacket was gone by 1966 and 1549's didn't come along until 1967.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

NIN

There were cadets wearing Ike Jackets in the 1980s in my area, still.

Might not have been authorized, but I doesn't mean there wasn't overlap. Our unis don't phase out at the same time as AF unis.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

OldGuy

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on November 14, 2018, 01:32:37 AM
No one probably cares, but in my opinion, the classiest uniform combo was the Ike Jacket with the long sleeved 1549 shade shirt and same shade trousers.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/199974-usaf-midnight-blue-dress-shirt/

CAP often has old uniforms in stock. My first encampment (1973) we still wore khakis, IIRC. (And it may be my memory is malleable, an odd effect of age. If so, my apologies.)

OldGuy

Eclipse

^ Just for clarity, those are the Feb 2018 prototypes and may not be the final version of the uniforms.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Just wish they'd gotten the SMA a hat that fit better here.. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Shuman 14

Of the rumors I've heard, the third picture that Eclipse posted, with the pleated breast pocket and the waist belt is the tunic/blouse/coat design they decided to go with.

The Woman's version will come with the upper false pocket flaps unattached so the Soldier can have them sewn on in a position appropriate their anatomy. This will help them line up their nametag, awards and decorations better than previous tunics/blouses/coats that did not have upper pockets of false flaps. This was asked for by the Female Soldiers that took part in the wear testing.

Both Barracks and Garrison Covers will be authorized and berets for everyone will be going away. (Thank God)

Enlisted Soldiers will sew their rank on their shirt sleeves and unit patches, Skill Tabs and SSI-FWTS will also be worn on the shirt shoulder sleeves by Enlisted and Officers alike.

The debate for Officer Shirts is to either pin a Rank and a Branch insignia on the shirt collars (see the female Major in Eclipse's first picture) or to add epaulets to the shirt and wear brown Rank slides (see the major in OldGuy's picture in the Pregnancy Uniform), similar to the black slides that are currently worn with the Blues and with the old Greens. This would mean they'd have two different shirts for Officers and Enlisted or Enlisted would have epaulets that were not used on their shirts.

I hope they go with the slides, they're just easier.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Hawk200

Quote from: shuman14 on November 14, 2018, 08:20:13 PM
The Woman's version will come with the upper false pocket flaps unattached so the Soldier can have them sewn on in a position appropriate their anatomy. This will help them line up their nametag, awards and decorations better than previous tunics/blouses/coats that did not have upper pockets of false flaps. This was asked for by the Female Soldiers that took part in the wear testing.

That should look a lot better, although it would add time for females to get them ready. They're probably happy about it.

Quote from: shuman14 on November 14, 2018, 08:20:13 PMBoth Barracks and Garrison Covers will be authorized and berets for everyone will be going away. (Thank God)

Second on that. Used to think berets were cool. Until I had to wear one. PITA.

Quote from: shuman14 on November 14, 2018, 08:20:13 PMEnlisted Soldiers will sew their rank on their shirt sleeves and unit patches, Skill Tabs and SSI-FWTS will also be worn on the shirt shoulder sleeves by Enlisted and Officers alike.

I like that. Definite throwback, but a welcome one. No reason that you shouldn't be able to identify someone's unit just because they're only wearing a shirt.

Quote from: shuman14 on November 14, 2018, 08:20:13 PMThe debate for Officer Shirts is to either pin a Rank and a Branch insignia on the shirt collars (see the female Major in Eclipse's first picture) or to add epaulets to the shirt and wear brown Rank slides (see the major in OldGuy's picture in the Pregnancy Uniform), similar to the black slides that are currently worn with the Blues and with the old Greens. This would mean they'd have two different shirts for Officers and Enlisted or Enlisted would have epaulets that were not used on their shirts.

I'd like to see them go with branch and rank on the collars. Slides are OK, but I like the historical significance. Maybe ditch epaulets altogether, the shirts might be a tad cheaper.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: OldGuy on November 14, 2018, 01:41:36 AM

CAP often has old uniforms in stock. My first encampment (1973) we still wore khakis, IIRC. (And it may be my memory is malleable, an odd effect of age. If so, my apologies.)

They weren't khakis. They were 1505 "silver tans."

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: NIN on November 14, 2018, 01:38:50 AM
There were cadets wearing Ike Jackets in the 1980s in my area, still.

Might not have been authorized, but I doesn't mean there wasn't overlap. Our unis don't phase out at the same time as AF unis.

I recognize that USAF uniform phase out dates don't always match CAP phase out dates.

But...Ike jackets in the 80's? No way was CAPs phase out date that late. I remember seeing nobody wearing Ike jackets in 1967, and a pile of them in squadron supply in 1968, with somebody saying "Yeah, we have to get rid of those. We milked them way beyond the deadline."

Not that my eyes are the only collection source, but not only did I never see Ike jackets worn past 1967, I never even saw a photo of anyone wearing them. And that includes both CAP Times and CAP News, with their notorious uniform gaffes.

Sounds like you were in a renegade unit if you saw them worn in CAP in 1980 and beyond.

NIN

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on November 15, 2018, 08:41:59 AM
Sounds like you were in a renegade unit if you saw them worn in CAP in 1980 and beyond.

Yup. Macomb Group III, the MI Wing group with the squadrons ranked 1, 2 & 3 in the nation one year. Bunch of renegades.

What I suspect happened is that this cadet found an Ike jacket that fit her at a surplus store and wore that instead of her Detroit Lions jacket when it got cold. "I mean, its Air Force, its blue, whats wrong with this?"

I'm not saying it was right, and I'm 100% sure (as are you) that it was way, way beyond authorized (I have a copy of the 39-1 from that time frame. Nope, not authorized). But I sure did see it.

I will have to see if one of my buddies from her squadron has any pics.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Quote from: Hawk200 on November 15, 2018, 12:06:41 AM
<snippage>
Quote from: shuman14 on November 14, 2018, 08:20:13 PMBoth Barracks and Garrison Covers will be authorized and berets for everyone will be going away. (Thank God)

Second on that. Used to think berets were cool. Until I had to wear one. PITA.

Yeah, no kidding. :(

WIWAC, I was all about the beret (as most cadets are, right?). 

Then, on active duty, I learned about how the "nail the sticks out gets pounded" and how "everybody looking the same" is a thing. Patrol caps forever! Yay! (or, occasionally, a boonie in the field when warranted)

Years later, when I went in the USAC, I was like "Oh boy, berets! And everybody has them, so yeah!"

About 15 minutes into that whole thing, after about the 3rd time I had to try to put the stupid thing on one-handed while going outside, I was like "Who's @#$% stupid idea was this? Shinseki!"

Bout a million years ago (it seems) got a little loopy with Photoshop one day:

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

West MI-CAP-Ret

Does anyone know that this uniform was only for officers, 1930s-1950s?

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 12, 2018, 08:42:41 PM
I already saw last night a post on social media where someone said "I wish CAP would adopt the greens; they're so classy."

I hesitated to reply with "If you want to wear them so bad, you should have enlisted."

I have enough of a problem with constant uniform changes. I have an even greater issue when non-military members begin to insert themselves into discussions on military uniforms and how they wish they got to wear them, too.

Sorry for the soap box here. This is a real peeve.
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Luis R. Ramos

Actually, later than 1930! More like 1941-1950.

A book I have on US Army uniforms states the service coat was a modernization of the old WWI blouse made by opening up the collar, and approved by Chief of Staff, MacArthur. Yep, the same who would later become famous in the Pacific. There were several versions, itg getting updated later with broader shoulders, belt holders, and other modifications. The trousers were the same brown of the coat. It was not until 1940 or later that combination was worn!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: NIN on November 15, 2018, 01:09:59 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on November 15, 2018, 08:41:59 AM

Yup. Macomb Group III, the MI Wing group with the squadrons ranked 1, 2 & 3 in the nation one year. Bunch of renegades.

What I suspect happened is that this cadet found an Ike jacket that fit her at a surplus store and wore that instead of her Detroit Lions jacket when it got cold. "I mean, its Air Force, its blue, whats wrong with this?"

I'm not saying it was right, and I'm 100% sure (as are you) that it was way, way beyond authorized (I have a copy of the 39-1 from that time frame. Nope, not authorized). But I sure did see it.

I will have to see if one of my buddies from her squadron has any pics.

That explanation makes sense, now that the context is clearer. The first post led me to believe that cadets were wearing Ike jackets in the 1980's as part of the uniform, with badges, patches etc.

The second post clarifies that they were worn as a FORMER uniform item, morphing into what had become a civilian item used to keep the chill off cold cadets in the absence of a uniform coat. I'm assuming that the insignia had been removed.

I saw something similar in 1967. The former uniform item informally known as the "Jungle Jim" (a khaki bush jacket), once devoid of insignia, became a popular motorcycle jacket for cadets who wore them with the silver tan 1505 uniform. Once the jacket was in and the helmet replaced the uniform cap, the effect was a kid on a motorcycle  wearing tan clothes. Once at the meeting the jacket came off, helmet came off, flight cap or service cap went on and that was it.

MSG Mac

Who ever ok'd the Pinks and Greens must have been a Texas A&M graduate.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Shuman 14

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 16, 2018, 05:07:02 PM
Who ever ok'd the Pinks and Greens must have been a Texas A&M graduate.

I don't think the SMA went to A&M but I could be mistaken.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

OldGuy

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on November 15, 2018, 08:33:19 AM
Quote from: OldGuy on November 14, 2018, 01:41:36 AM

They weren't khakis. They were 1505 "silver tans."

Indeed they were! Darned good looking uniforms, in my opinion!