Main Menu

Old CAP Slideshow

Started by Capt Thompson, December 09, 2015, 06:41:36 AM

Capt Thompson

The other day I was cleaning at the Squadron, searching for photo albums, and came across a box with over 100 film slides. Most were of our Squadron, but 49 of them were numbered and marked CAP Story. Looks like some kind of recruiting slideshow, I'l assuming there was a script or some kind of guide to go along with them? Take a look, and if anyone has seen these before and has any info, please post.

https://youtu.be/2UAUspPXfqw

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

MSG Mac

Actually they were used for Level I training. In the 60s and 70s.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Stonewall

I love pictures from CAP's good old days.
Serving since 1987.

THRAWN

Quote from: Stonewall on December 09, 2015, 01:09:42 PM
I love pictures from CAP's good old days.

Same here. I have a bunch that I've collected. This is a cool slide show. I'm going with an early-mid 1980's time frame. I have an AE book that has a similar design on the cover to some of the slides...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Spam

Ah, those were the days.

Garibaldi and I know at least one of those guys, Carter Jones from GAWG, on a handheld at a SAREX from back when he and I were sniveling cadets in the early 1980s. You'll find that most of those pics are taken from an old CAP Annual Report to Congress. See: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/1984__LoRes_2094978BEC5C5.pdf. If you go back far enough, you can get photos of all kinds of things (well, excepting for U boat kill evidence and/or any actual attacks by CAP).

You've done a really nice job with the youtube presentation - you got "skilz"!

V/R
Spam

THRAWN

Quote from: Spam on December 09, 2015, 02:30:16 PM
Ah, those were the days.

Garibaldi and I know at least one of those guys, Carter Jones from GAWG, on a handheld at a SAREX from back when he and I were sniveling cadets in the early 1980s. You'll find that most of those pics are taken from an old CAP Annual Report to Congress. See: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/1984__LoRes_2094978BEC5C5.pdf. If you go back far enough, you can get photos of all kinds of things (well, excepting for U boat kill evidence and/or any actual attacks by CAP).

You've done a really nice job with the youtube presentation - you got "skilz"!

V/R
Spam

1984...woohoo! I am smart...SMRT...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Spam

What gave it away there, Grand Admiral Thrawn?  The pickle suits? (somewhere in a box, I have my old one which would now fit me like a hanky on Andre the Giant).

Cheers, guys,
Spam

Nuke52

Boy, those blue epaulets and metal insignia sure look good on the blues, don't they?  Any chance of us ever getting them back?   :angel:
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

THRAWN

Quote from: Spam on December 09, 2015, 03:41:42 PM
What gave it away there, Grand Admiral Thrawn?  The pickle suits? (somewhere in a box, I have my old one which would now fit me like a hanky on Andre the Giant).

Cheers, guys,
Spam

Sum of the parts. Hair styles, nonuniform clothing, the style of the glasses, the public television style graphics...and the pickle suits  :)
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Майор Хаткевич

Can't be quite that old...one of those pictures with the PC are maybe mid-late 80s.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Nuke52 on December 09, 2015, 06:03:10 PM
Boy, those blue epaulets and metal insignia sure look good on the blues, don't they?  Any chance of us ever getting them back?   :angel:

When I was still in CAP (first term, 1993-1999), my then-Sqn CC, who later became Wing CC and Region PD Officer, and is probably now retired (if he's still living), told the squadron that he brought up the subject while having coffee with then-National CC Brig Gen Richard Anderson (they were good friends).

He said that General Anderson's reply was:

"You will never get them back."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SMWOG

Dont need blue slides or metal grade insignia,the grey works for us and now is part of our heritage.

wings15

In the slides, I saw a group of cadet officers with their metal grade insignia pinned on the collars of their fatigues (grade on one side CAP on the other) instead of the embroidered insignia.  Anyone know if that was optional back then or was that just something that some people did?
FO Aaron Clapp

♦GTM3, ♦MRO, UDF, Basic Field Medic (MIWG), *GTM2, *FLM

jeders

Quote from: wings15 on December 29, 2015, 08:46:03 PM
In the slides, I saw a group of cadet officers with their metal grade insignia pinned on the collars of their fatigues (grade on one side CAP on the other) instead of the embroidered insignia.  Anyone know if that was optional back then or was that just something that some people did?

At that time (prior to the mid 90's I believe), pin on cadet officer rank was standard. When or why they changed it, I don't know; maybe they were afraid some Spaatz Cadet would accidentally slit his own throat.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Stonewall

I've never been a member of, nor have I even visited, but several years ago I came across Sandy Springs Cadet Squadron (GA-045) through someone here on CAPTalk.

I feel like they've always had a great website filled with rich history and great content.

In the last they had a video of a local news channel piece that was done on the unit in eighties or early nineties but I can't find it anymore.

But they do have this fine tidbit that covers the units history...

http://www.ga045.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Sandy-Springs-Cadet-Squadron-History-Slideshow-18-DEC-13-FINAL.pdf
Serving since 1987.

TeamBronx

1984 National Cadet Competition slide:  Bronx Group Drill Team

Spam

Quote from: Stonewall on December 30, 2015, 01:59:47 AM
I've never been a member of, nor have I even visited, but several years ago I came across Sandy Springs Cadet Squadron (GA-045) through someone here on CAPTalk.

I feel like they've always had a great website filled with rich history and great content.

In the last they had a video of a local news channel piece that was done on the unit in eighties or early nineties but I can't find it anymore.

But they do have this fine tidbit that covers the units history...

http://www.ga045.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Sandy-Springs-Cadet-Squadron-History-Slideshow-18-DEC-13-FINAL.pdf

Stonewall,

thanks for the kind words and nice site review - SSCS was my original unit as a cadet, and I'm currently the commander again, with Garibaldi from CT joining us as well. We've been spending a bunch of time on a revamp of our website to the new NHQ standard format, adding new Basic Cadet training slides with Wingman content, and have been slowly re-posting the historical documents. Please check it all out, at your leisure.

I should give Historian credit to LTC Berry, our long serving Balsam Award winning historian, who authored a number of our annual unit history summaries, including the one you referenced, and the news spot from 07. (He is one of our seven or so GTLs, so he's usually on the spot when we're deployed, taking pics for the summaries).

I'll see if we can get that news spot added to the historical documents (by Grabthars Hammer... the HISTORICAL DOCUMENTS).  The cadet commander GTL who was the subject has gone on to win the USCG Silver Lifesaving Medal as an AST3 rescue swimmer, and just transferred to USAF, completing PJ school this year.

V/R
Spam

http://www.ga045.org/

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/842/0/filename/Silver+Lifesaving+Medalist+Former+Georgia+cadet+recognized+by+Coast+Guard+for+Great+Lakes+heroic.pdf

LTC Don

That was definitely in the 1983-1984 time-frame since it has the new style corporate seal. I remember that slide deck, and may still have one around somewhere.  Good times.

QuoteI should give Historian credit to LTC Berry

If that's Brian Berry, I met up with him while a cadet in Colorado.  Small world.   ;)
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Spam

That's him! We still follow his lead - SSCS has three former cadets now at USAFA. I've let him know to check this thread...

V/R
Spam

Garibaldi

Quote from: LTC Don on December 30, 2015, 12:25:57 PM
That was definitely in the 1983-1984 time-frame since it has the new style corporate seal. I remember that slide deck, and may still have one around somewhere.  Good times.

QuoteI should give Historian credit to LTC Berry

If that's Brian Berry, I met up with him while a cadet in Colorado.  Small world.   ;)

I believe he transferred to the Colorado Springs unit while at the AFA, early 80s. His whole family was in CAP in the mid 60s to the late 80s.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things