Sony binoculars

Started by Robborsari, July 18, 2012, 03:06:45 PM

Robborsari

Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

Майор Хаткевич

LOOK at that price! Wowza!

Struts

Those binoculars look amazing  :clap: ! But 2000$ for a pair of binoculars...

Robborsari

Its a 3d HD camcorder and 7 megapixel camera with 20x zoom, stabilized and it works as binoculars.  3 toys in one.
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

bflynn

Well, to be fair it's really only 10x zoom.  The other 10 is digital, which is just taking the pixels and blowing them up.  You should never use digital zoom, you can always blow the pixels up later.

For $2000, it should be really cool.

Then again, can't you do HD video with most digital SLRs these days?  With a better optical zoom and probably image stabalization?  I'm thinking a Nikon 5100 with something like a 18-200mm zoom lens and you're in the ball park of probably $1400 with all the same capability.

Now - if you only want a 3-4 times zoom, which is plenty accurate for our imaging work, then you can go to a 55-200 lens and be in the $800 range.

All of which still sounds astronomical unless you're a pilot :)  Then it's just a few hours of flying time.

♠SARKID♠

One of the conservation wardens here had a pair of those.  Had them on the speedboat they use around the ports.  Lets him view licenses without having to get close enough that the charter boats have to pull their fishing lines; just hold up your license and he reads it from a 150ft away.

bflynn

Wow, yeah, they are really cool.

"There are two Banthas down there but I don't see any...wait a second, they're Sandpeople all right. I can see one of them now"

:)