Safety Vests

Started by isuhawkeye, October 19, 2007, 07:02:28 PM

MIKE

Fail the task if you want.
Mike Johnston

Al Sayre

Here's an idea...

From CAP.GOV Safety:
Operation CAPSAFE is the Safety Department's tool for receiving safety input from the CAP membership nation-wide.  The program is intended to solicit safety suggestions for both air and ground operations.  Every member, senior or cadet, is encouraged to submit tips and suggestions.  Each month, the best suggestions in each category (air ops, ground ops) will receive a promotional item.  Start thinking about Safety tips and suggestions you may have that will enhance the safety of CAP operations and activities.

Send your suggestions to us by   e-mail at: capsafe@cap.gov, or by surface mail to:

NHQ CAP/SE

105 South Hansell Street

Maxwell AFB, AL  36112-6332

Recommend they add it to 60-3
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Trouble

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on October 26, 2007, 03:19:06 PM
Quote from: MIKE on October 25, 2007, 10:01:36 PM
The GT and UDF task book sez Orange Reflective.

Mike as has already been stated Orange Reflective doesn't always show up.  The newer stuff is much safer, remember those reqs were written before the new stuff came out.  Also remember that SAFETY is our top priority and if we were something that is to keep us safe in some way shape or form that is ok.

Now this might mean I have a color perception issue that has never been diagnosed but I have found that the Orange is as visible if not more so when in the woods. 

Most ANSI standards are based on roadside tests and other urbanized environments, and we do do a lot of Road side work, but when it comes to being between the trees I still like HI-viz Orange over Hi-viz yellow. I have seen both on the same team at the same time and have had more difficulty tracking the Lime-Yellow than the Orange through the woods.

But I would agree that the color should either be based on ANSI/OSHA worker safety standards or on what florescent color with reflective trim contrasts the best with the given environment.

Fore example, many Urban SAR teams use Hi-viz Yellow, while many Woodland SAR teams use Hi-viz Orange, with Red being a traditional  color as well. Blue is also a favorite, though test data has shown that Blue is a poor color choice if you want to be seen.  At least in the absence of any testing data, I would tend to say there may be a practical reason for this difference in color preference.

Personal I would propose that CAP Adopt a single look for its ES Field Teams. 

First, the BBDU instead of the BDU, the BBDU presents a look closer to our assigned tasking when looking at other Federal, State Agencies and Civilian teams but retains a martial uniform appearance befitting our USAF Aux. status. 

Second, I would set up a purchase discount program with a few equipment suppliers to allow members to acquire ES gear at a reasonable cost.

Third, I would standardize your Personal Carrying Equipment across CAP on a few different options.

1) a Mesh body Hi-viz SAR-MED Type Vest with day pack or Hydration system in matching Color.

2) SAR/Woodland Fire Fighter Webgear.

3) Day pack with Hi-viz vest and Radio chest harness for GTLs

4)  Tactical Medic vests in a bright color with Hi-viz reflective tape and material added, CAP could contract with Blackhawk or Eagle industries for example to have a CAP specific Vest produced at a reasonable cost if it was to be ordered in quantity. This would have to become the mandated requirement across the organization but that would not be any different than many other organizations that do the same thing.

Chris Pumphrey, Capt. CAP
MD-023

(C/FO ret.)

sardak

This post
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2442.msg44013#msg44013
references several studies regarding high-vis clothing and visibility, including the reactions of color blind people. 

Most reports are in reference to highway workers, but there was one study on flagging colors in the woods conducted by the US Forest Service.  Here is the summary:

Our field evaluations indicated that hot-pink flagging was the easiest color to see and was visible at the greatest distance. Lime-green flagging showed up poorly to participants with normal color vision, but colorblind participants saw the lime-green flagging best. The other colors most visible to participants with normal color vision were oranges, blues, and candy striped, in that order.

And as someone mentioned, at night, orange looks dark, while yellow or other "light" colors remain more visible.

As an example only (not a commercial endorsement) here is a vendor which sells only high-vis clothing, at reasonable prices, and prints logos on them.
High-vis vests

Mike

Dragoon

Quote from: Trouble on October 26, 2007, 08:08:26 PM
Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on October 26, 2007, 03:19:06 PM
Quote from: MIKE on October 25, 2007, 10:01:36 PM
The GT and UDF task book sez Orange Reflective.

Mike as has already been stated Orange Reflective doesn't always show up.  The newer stuff is much safer, remember those reqs were written before the new stuff came out.  Also remember that SAFETY is our top priority and if we were something that is to keep us safe in some way shape or form that is ok.

Now this might mean I have a color perception issue that has never been diagnosed but I have found that the Orange is as visible if not more so when in the woods. 

Most ANSI standards are based on roadside tests and other urbanized environments, and we do do a lot of Road side work, but when it comes to being between the trees I still like HI-viz Orange over Hi-viz yellow. I have seen both on the same team at the same time and have had more difficulty tracking the Lime-Yellow than the Orange through the woods.

But I would agree that the color should either be based on ANSI/OSHA worker safety standards or on what florescent color with reflective trim contrasts the best with the given environment.

Fore example, many Urban SAR teams use Hi-viz Yellow, while many Woodland SAR teams use Hi-viz Orange, with Red being a traditional  color as well. Blue is also a favorite, though test data has shown that Blue is a poor color choice if you want to be seen.  At least in the absence of any testing data, I would tend to say there may be a practical reason for this difference in color preference.

Personal I would propose that CAP Adopt a single look for its ES Field Teams. 

First, the BBDU instead of the BDU, the BBDU presents a look closer to our assigned tasking when looking at other Federal, State Agencies and Civilian teams but retains a martial uniform appearance befitting our USAF Aux. status. 

Second, I would set up a purchase discount program with a few equipment suppliers to allow members to acquire ES gear at a reasonable cost.

Third, I would standardize your Personal Carrying Equipment across CAP on a few different options.

1) a Mesh body Hi-viz SAR-MED Type Vest with day pack or Hydration system in matching Color.

2) SAR/Woodland Fire Fighter Webgear.

3) Day pack with Hi-viz vest and Radio chest harness for GTLs

4)  Tactical Medic vests in a bright color with Hi-viz reflective tape and material added, CAP could contract with Blackhawk or Eagle industries for example to have a CAP specific Vest produced at a reasonable cost if it was to be ordered in quantity. This would have to become the mandated requirement across the organization but that would not be any different than many other organizations that do the same thing.

I sincerely doubt CAP would adopt these requirments due to individual member cost.  Yeah, I know about bulk discounts.  But the NB is gonna look out for the little guy, the 13 year old cadet who wants to do GT but doesn't have much money.  Seen it before.

As a fallback just mandating a specific hat and/or vest would go a long way.