Main Menu

High visibility vests

Started by Hawk200, November 23, 2006, 07:27:10 PM

Hawk200

I've been doing some digging on orange vests in the field. I can't find a reference for it. Can someone point me to a National reg that requires it?

Does it require orange, specifically? Or will any hi visibility vest be acceptable? Seen some retina burnng yellow that seems like it might be quite suitable.

MIKE

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 2-3.8 Safety Vest Orange plastic, mesh, or cloth. Will be worn when participating in
ground team activities.

Quote from: O-0001 PREPARE GROUND TEAM INDIVIDUAL EQUIPMENT2. a. f) Vest, reflective, orange (T)

Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Thank you sir, exactly what I was looking for. Much obliged.

Eclipse

Here's a good place to get a great vest:

http://tinyurl.com/yjt8z5

I took off the medic patch, replaced it with Velcro and added some nametapes:

I can vouch for the quality and markings noted are in places you can hardly see, or wouldn't care (i.e. inside the vest).

I intend to use this for UDF, traffic details, and lower-impact days. 

Field days / bivouavcs, etc.,  will likely see me using my new TAC vest with the retro tape:

and lighted shoulders:  http://group22.net/files/other/vest/vest.wmv

with a high-vis orange or green vest underneath:

http://group22.net/files/other/vest.jpg

The SARMED-type vests worked very well in the field during Katrina, and are much more comfortable if you are getting in and out of a vehicle a lot, the trade-off is no ALICE attachments and limited storage.

Note:  John Desmaris has seen this vest at NESA and indicated that he liked the tac vests with the tapes affixed, commenting that it >should< be the standard, because the web gear, etc, that many of us have worn for years has too many strings and loose-hanging parts to be good in heavy field.

I prefer a lime-green vest, mainly because I think they are higher-vis, but with that said, I fully acknowledge that the vest is now a uniform item and it could be an issue both liability-wise and reg-wise.  I always carry a nice orange vest as well, and, while the ILWG DOS has indicated on many occasions that as long as its high-vis, its acceptable, I would not argue with anyone who made an issue of it.  Regs are regs.

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

I like them both.

Though, someone up on their throne may not like the "US Air Force Auxiliary" tape.

Where'd you get the tac vest with the shoulder lights? That's some sweet stuff there.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Eclipse

Oh, I'm sure any number of people would take issue with it.   ;D

I've got a "CIVIL AIR PATROL" one as well that I could swap out quick if anyone take offense.

This is a standard BlackHawk Medic vest, which has velcro straps to tighten the shoulders on people smaller than me.

I added additional velcro on top of that and used to lighted runners arm bands to light the shoulders.  They take button-cell batteries, and are really bright.

Its a matter of coincidence that the arm bands matched the striping I used for the vest.

I used it for the first time today, and while it is easy to see, there is no question that, especially from the air, a fully orange vest is more easily spotted, at least in daylight.

I have low-res photos I have already seen of the ops from the air, as soon as I have something better quality I will post.

The flip to this is we were in a fairly heavily wooded area, with lots of sticker bushes, etc.  The TAC vest, I am assuming, was the better choice from the the standpoint of wear.

And how's this for weather?  61° and mostly sunny in the Chicago metro area today!!!

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

Bob:

Is the 94th Aero Squadron still on the Palwaukee Airport?

That used to be one of my favorite places to go when I was TDY at Fort Sheridan.
Another former CAP officer

PWK-GT

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 30, 2006, 02:29:53 AM
Bob:

That used to be one of my favorite places to go when I was TDY at Fort Sheridan.

Well, I guess I'll beat Bob to it....they are still there. Rumor has it that they had been approached to relocate to another parcel of land nearby, but have thus far declined. From a guy who LOVES their Sunday brunches, I have noticed that the crowd there has really declined in past years. Let's hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come......cause I LIKE my brunches  ;D
"Is it Friday yet"

Eclipse

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 30, 2006, 02:29:53 AM
Bob:

Yep, and still great, IMHO!

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

Where else can you show off your World War I aviation knowledge and get a great meal too.  I mean, how many people know that the gun over the backbar is a Lewis?
Another former CAP officer

Eclipse

Getting this post back on track...

Below are photographs from this weekend - first time out with the new tac vest.

There is no queastion, that while mine w/ the stripes is visible, the blaze orange is far superior, especially from the air in heavy canopy or brush.

"That Others May Zoom"

PWK-GT

>thread hijack ahead<
Who's that good looking fellow on the far left?  :angel:
"Is it Friday yet"

pixelwonk

Quote from: PWK-GT on December 02, 2006, 03:53:43 AM
>thread hijack ahead<
Who's that good looking fellow on the far left?  :angel:

My guess, based on the wrapping of the trunk, is a young maple.  :)

PWK-GT

DEFINITELY some kind of sap..... ;D
"Is it Friday yet"

BillB

Rather than Root around this thread, I think we need to lock it away in a Trunk and Leaf the subject alone.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

I think I'll just make like a tree and leave...

no.

A bannaa and split...

no.

um...ah nuts, all the good ones are gone...

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Ahhh...  I knew I saw this thread elsewhere.  I just replied to this discussion in the Safety forum.
Serving since 1987.