Main Menu

Suggestion: Chat

Started by V. Basile, June 03, 2010, 01:27:07 AM

V. Basile

Hey,  I was just wondering if there's a way for you to put up a chat thing.  My wing forum (WAWG) has one.  I was just thinking we should have one to make it easier for everyone to chat.

I can understand that maybe the reason CAPTalk doesn't have one is because it would get too crowded and all that stuff. 

NOTE:  This is just a suggestion.  Not a question why we don't have one.

Thanks!
VICTORIA F. BASILE, C/TSGT, CAP
Peninsula Composite Squadron
PCR-WA-051

MIKE

Most shout boxes end up full of spam.  A number of previous CAP discussion forums have had them at one time or another.  Personally, I think they run counter to what we are trying to achieve here on CT... Not to mention the moderation issues.

At one point I think somebody had set up a TeamSpeak server that CT members were using briefly...  Skype would be another option.
Mike Johnston

♠SARKID♠

The TeamSpeak server was enjoyable, though short lived.  It wasn't around for very long so it was hard to say if it was useful.

whatevah

Not sure if you mean a live text chat room or a shoutbox type thing, but neither are gonna happen. There's nowhere near enough activity here to support a live chat room and the shoutbox doesn't match up with the kind of discussions we want here.

Not saying I couldn't set up something for a scheduled thing, maybe during NB events or whatnot. But not as a permanent thing.

Thanks for the suggestion though! We welcome new ideas. :)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

addo1

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on June 03, 2010, 02:14:32 AM
The TeamSpeak server was enjoyable, though short lived.  It wasn't around for very long so it was hard to say if it was useful.

+1.... I enjoyed using it, though I doubt its effectiveness...
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

NIN

Internet equivalent of a ham radio rag chew net?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

V. Basile

Ah, OK.  I was just suggesting that we get one.
PCR-WA-051

BillB

Other than the Administrators added work, bandwidth etc, one major problem is the number of time zones in the United States.
If you wanted to have a 'CADET PROGRAMS' (or any other subject matter)  Chat every Thursday at 9PM Eastern, it's Dinner time for the Pacific Region.
A chat room probably would get more cadet participation as well as an ES Chat room for Seniors. It might even provide useful information  But please no UNIFORM chat room   LOL
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Pylon

The forum sort of has a chat feature worked in.  Just create an AIM, Yahoo, or MSN messenger account and add the username(s) to your CAPTalk profile.  A nice, clickable AIM/MSN/YIM icon will appear under your name.  You can similarly click and add the other members here who also list screennames to IM services.  And then chat with everyone there.   :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

V. Basile

Quote from: Pylon on June 04, 2010, 05:06:32 AM
The forum sort of has a chat feature worked in.  Just create an AIM, Yahoo, or MSN messenger account and add the username(s) to your CAPTalk profile.  A nice, clickable AIM/MSN/YIM icon will appear under your name.  You can similarly click and add the other members here who also list screennames to IM services.  And then chat with everyone there.   :)

That's helpful! Thanks!
PCR-WA-051

HGjunkie

Quote from: BillB on June 04, 2010, 04:22:58 AM
Other than the Administrators added work, bandwidth etc, one major problem is the number of time zones in the United States.
If you wanted to have a 'CADET PROGRAMS' (or any other subject matter)  Chat every Thursday at 9PM Eastern, it's Dinner time for the Pacific Region.
A chat room probably would get more cadet participation as well as an ES Chat room for Seniors. It might even provide useful information  But please no UNIFORM chat room   LOL
[/b]
Great, another way to clog CAPTalk with useless [stuff]. ::)
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

whatevah

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 05, 2010, 09:56:57 PM
Great, another way to clog CAPTalk with useless [stuff]. ::)
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Speaking of clogging stuff up, have you seen your signature lately?  >:D
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

HGjunkie

yeah, cant decide which one to get rid of.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

a2capt

... and how about what seems to the the start of a ton of posts with nothing more than a smiley or three, or ten, and a few without even that?

It's not just about quantity.