My Utility Uniform Proposal

Started by Stonewall, December 29, 2007, 03:23:59 PM

Which utility/field uniform should CAP have?

Stonewall's option for everyone
72 (48%)
Keep BDUs & BBDUs
31 (20.7%)
Hold out for ABUs
47 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 150

A.Member

Quote from: Angus on November 13, 2008, 06:44:40 PM
Exactly, but at the same time the Surplus issue is also key.  Right now while the Air Force does still wear some BDU's the ABU is becoming the standard choice.   As it will be for us down the road.  But when the BDU came out we didn't get that right away, it went back to the surplus issue of the OD Uniforms. 
There are enough BDU in DRMS/DRMO and such to last a long, long time! 

As such these discussions are kind of moot.  Keep the BDU and BBDU.  I don't see any compelling arguments to change this.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Stonewall

Quote from: A.Member on November 13, 2008, 07:27:20 PM

Yeah, I love getting DRMO used BDUs with old CMSgt rank marks on the sleeves or old army uniforms with combat patches.  Those are great.
Serving since 1987.

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Stonewall on November 13, 2008, 08:56:21 PM

Yeah, I love getting DRMO used BDUs with old CMSgt rank marks on the sleeves or old army uniforms with combat patches.  Those are great.

I sense some sarcasm

A.Member

Quote from: Stonewall on November 13, 2008, 08:56:21 PM

LOL!  Hey, you get what you pay for.  :)   Besides "those" ones are for the cadets. ;)  And I think you're looking at it all wrong.  See, you remove the patches, then sell them on e-bay (because who doesn't love patches) at a ridiculously inflated price, and pay for all your other squadron activities. ;)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

MIKE

Are BDUs from DRMO still restricted?
Mike Johnston

PHall

Quote from: MIKE on November 14, 2008, 03:51:05 AM

Until congress changes the law, yes.

A provision in the FY 2007 DOD authorization bill restricted distribution of military uniforms from DRMO to Department of Defense activities only. CAP is not considered to be a part of the Department of Defense.

A.Member

Quote from: PHall on November 15, 2008, 03:31:31 AM
Quote from: MIKE on November 14, 2008, 03:51:05 AM

Until congress changes the law, yes.

A provision in the FY 2007 DOD authorization bill restricted distribution of military uniforms from DRMO to Department of Defense activities only. CAP is not considered to be a part of the Department of Defense.
I don't believe that's true.  According to our Wing supply officer we're still getting them on a regular basis through DRMS/DMRO.   

LoyalNine

I just saw this post for the first time.  I have been lurking here a bit and see that uniforms are a topic that tend to flare up like a nasty bout of hemorrhoids around here...   That being said I will give my take on the uniform laid out on page 1 of this topic.  I like it very much.    I was a CAP member back in the mid - late 80's for a short period of time.   I then moved on to a million other things in life to include a family and a career.   I recently turned 36 and have had both of my sons involved in Scouting.   Scouting, though a good program is really only as good as the leadership.  My sons are starting to tire of doing the same things over and over and have mentioned on a couple of occasions of quitting of the scout program and doing something else.   This kind of made me cringe as I do like having them active in an organization that is proud to promote both God AND Country.    It hit me one day as I was driving by my local airport and saw a CAP plane behind the fence line that maybe this might be a good alternative.  Although I had never taken it as serious as I wish I had as a kid maybe my boys might like to give it a try.

I Googled "CAP" , filled out an info request online and the next thing you know I was meeting with the local squadron commander on a meeting night.  Unfortunately my sons are a couple years shy of joining but it sparked an interest in me to join as a SM now.   When I mentioned CAP to a pilot friend of mine he spoke positive of the organization.  However my other colleagues having little to no experience with CAP laughed at the idea.  Upon speaking with them I realized that many of them A) have no idea what CAP is all about and B) see adults in uniforms that emulate the military and it conjures up stereotypes of creamers, wannabes and weirdos.  (some of their words not mine  :)  )  I work in law enforcement and with a serious group as smart asses so I realized I had to take that into account with the response I received.

I then ran it by a couple of friends that are active duty Guard members...  Surprisingly one of them (who's office is right across the street from where this CAP squad meets)  smirked at the idea of me joining and really had zero concept of CAP having any real world mission other than driving and marching cadets around.  The other was aware of the S&R they did but was rather opinionated with the fact that CAP wears rank that is identical to as she put it... "real officers".   I did not even attempt to argue her point because.. well I guess you just have to know her - there was no point in trying.

Personally I never really had an opinion on CAP since I was a kid.  Never really gave it any thought or cared if the CAP SM's wore rank and how they dressed.  It was really just completely off my radar.    As a very new SMWOG I have decided that  will wear whatever I am told and how the regs tell me to wear it.   I must admit that having uniforms that so closely resemble the military members in my community almost prevented me from joining up.  Its no disrespect to them - exactly the opposite.  I love these Guardsman and thank them every chance I can.  The fact is it made me feel as though I was going to play "dress up" -  Its just the my personal preference is strongly towards a uniform that strongly sets us APART from looking like a Soldier or Airman.   Upon seeing the Corporate Uniform and Polo Shirts I realized that there was another option  (My shields are now UP).   

Wearing the uniforms of the armed services is a privilege an an honor.   Initially I almost felt that purchasing and wearing a uniform so close in resemblance to the AF or Army (in the case of the BDU's)was almost like playing dress up.  I would much prefer a BDU setup that is distinctive and functional like the one that started this thread. 

I joined CAP for several different reasons.  One of which was the fact that I was seeking some sort of volunteer organization to give my time and effort.  Couple that with my interest in aviation as well as 2 sons who I would like to see join it seemed a good fit.  I still consider myself an outsider with CAP as I am so new but often we have a different perspective on things that seasoned members might not notice.  I can tell you that though the uniforms are very nice (I think so anyway) they do FAIL to set us apart enough (in my opinion) that it can give folks the wrong idea of what we do or who we are. 

I think that a distinctive solid color BDU style uniform like Stonewall posted here is a fantastic idea.  No service member or Veteran will mistake you for an an Army or Air Force Officer (rank)  (embarrassing for both IMO), I think CAP should be proud to be CAP no just the Aux of the USAF.  We can still be an Aux without having to look like the AF right?  CAP should be proud to be CAP - there is a lot to be proud of. 

Honestly I think CAP needs some serious help in the Public Relations department.  For an organization as bit and as storied as it is the majority of folks have no idea what we are, who we are or what it is we do.   Wearing uniforms that so closely resemble the "real thing" cannot help matters at all...   

arajca

Quote from: jgalego on November 15, 2008, 09:16:25 PM
,serious snippage
Honestly I think CAP needs some serious help in the Public Relations department.  For an organization as bit and as storied as it is the majority of folks have no idea what we are, who we are or what it is we do.   Wearing uniforms that so closely resemble the "real thing" cannot help matters at all...   
You're preaching to the choir here. That topic generates almost as much concern as uniforms.

DC

CAP has the blessing of the Air Force when it comes to wearing their uniform, and it is something that could be taken away if they felt it was warranted. There is nothing shameful, or 'dress up' about wearing that uniform, and it is a tremendous honor to be granted permission to do so.

Those that balk about CAP 'playing Air Force' have no idea about what CAP does, or the extent we do it to. I have found that many those that do know CAP well don't have an issue with it.

The uniform CAP wears on it's back is not the source of our PR problems, it is our general lack of direction, and a failure of local units to promote themselves well.

That being said, I think we should stick with BDUs for now, and pick up the ABU when the AF says we can. CAP is the Auxiliary of the Air Force, we should be as in-line with our parent service as possible, not do everything we can to distance ourselves. I think we need to drastically reduce the number of uniform combos, but I still believe we should have the military uniform, as well as ONE equivalent corporate uniform.

Getting rid of = CSU or White and Greys/Blazer
                         Utility Jumpsuit

So we would have = Blues - CSU or White and Greys
                                 Service Dress - Blazer
                                 BDUs - BBDUs
                                 Green FDU - Blue FDU

I also think wear of the Golf Shirt should be restricted to new members, and certain informal situations for more experienced members. I'm sure it has it's uses, but I have always seen it more as a way to avoid a uniform, than actually a uniform.

Go ahead, flame me.

notaNCO forever

DC I agree almost completely with you. Especially about the golf shirt.