My Utility Uniform Proposal

Started by Stonewall, December 29, 2007, 03:23:59 PM

Which utility/field uniform should CAP have?

Stonewall's option for everyone
72 (48%)
Keep BDUs & BBDUs
31 (20.7%)
Hold out for ABUs
47 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Stonewall

Here it is folks.  The OD version of the Army Combat Uniform (ACU) made just for CAP.

Give me a break, I didn't have time to sew everything on so I just placed it in it's spot.

Velco on the sleeve pockets for all the patch wearers out there.  Keep the flag and wing patch if you'd like.  I don't care.  But with this uniform, everyone, regardless of size, shape or abundancy of hair can look professional, military, and "as one".  Did I mention the functionality?

Serving since 1987.

JohnKachenmeister

I kinda like it.  It is sure distinctive.  They won't mistake us for a right-wing militia, cops, or state convicts on a road gang (who also are carted about in 15-pax white vans, by the way).

I'd still vote to lose all the extra patches, though.  Name, rank, GT/Aircrew badge, flag. That's all.  What wing I am assigned to is nobody's business.  OPSEC, you know.
Another former CAP officer

Stonewall

You can't see them in the picture, but towards the cuff of the left sleeve, there are a couple pen-pockets.  

The nametapes and rank could be velcroed on but I don't see a need for it.  If we did that, we could pin our badges on like the Army and Marine Corps, but personally, I'm not a fan of that.  If I were to propose the uniform and it would actually be taken into consideration, I'd vote for sewing nametapes and badges on.  Patches be velcroed.

Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 29, 2007, 03:29:10 PM
I kinda like it.  It is sure distinctive.  They won't mistake us for a right-wing militia, cops, or state convicts on a road gang (who also are carted about in 15-pax white vans, by the way).

I'd still vote to lose all the extra patches, though.  Name, rank, GT/Aircrew badge, flag. That's all.  What wing I am assigned to is nobody's business.  OPSEC, you know.

Yeah, anyone that knows me knows that I am not a fan of patches.  But I'm willing to bow out of my fight in the hopes to go with a uniform of this sort.  See, the uniform is already in production so it's not like we'd have to design a new one and it comes with velcro.  I think it would look even more odd with all the velcro but no patch on either sleeve. 

Seriously, I'd go without patches, but I think I'd lose that fight.
Serving since 1987.

BillB

The concept is good, but my only comment would be to follow the CAP regulation when the OD fatiges was used by CAP. Namely rank on the collor rather than the army style. USAF wears the rank insignia on the collar with the ABU, so CAP probably should follow. Historically CAP has always worn rank on the collar (or NCO rank on the sleeves) of the work uniforms.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JAFO78

Kirt, Hey this I like. We should be different from all the others.

But my question is would us overweight members be able to wear this.
JAFO

Stonewall

Quote from: BillB on December 29, 2007, 03:38:13 PM
The concept is good, but my only comment would be to follow the CAP regulation when the OD gatiges was used by CAP. Namely rank on the collor rather than the army style. USAF wears the rank insignia on the collar with the ABU, so CAP probably should follow. Historically CAP has always worn rank on the collar (or NCO rank on the sleeves) of the work uniforms.

The collar folds up and velcros closed for field conditions.  There is no place to really put the rank on the collar.  It's a functional uniform more than a window dressing.  I understand there is a lot of heartache in the Army because of the rank on the collar with branch insignia, but unless they re-design the collar, rank wouldn't really fit.  The entire uniform shows zero resemblence to the Air Force, except for maybe it's heritage of white on blue nametags, so why stop there?

I see your point, and I'd prefer the uniform have a different collar as well, but to be honest, I like the idea of the "work" or "utility" uniform being more functional than form.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: RobG on December 29, 2007, 03:41:52 PM
Kirt, Hey this I like. We should be different from all the others.

But my question is would us overweight members be able to wear this.

Yes.  This would be a CAP-distinctive utility UNIFORM.  Being that it would be "CAP Distinctive", everyone would be able to wear it.  Just like the BBDU.  But instead of 2 utility uniforms, we'd just have 1.

Quote from: Stonewall on December 29, 2007, 03:23:59 PMBut with this uniform, everyone, regardless of size, shape or abundancy of hair can look professional, military, and "as one". 
Serving since 1987.

JohnKachenmeister

The collar of the ACU is too small to support the addition of rank, and when buttoned to the top (in cold weather or in a NBC environment) the collar is worn turned up.

I am still getting used to looking at center chest to find someone's rank.  And I still would like Army officer guys to  be able to wear their branch.  I might someday find it important to know if I am speaking with the Chaplain or the Provost Marshall.  Also, if I am speaking to an artillery officer, I will know to talk louder.
Another former CAP officer

Stonewall

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 29, 2007, 03:44:31 PMI am still getting used to looking at center chest to find someone's rank.  And I still would like Army officer guys to  be able to wear their branch.  I might someday find it important to know if I am speaking with the Chaplain or the Provost Marshall.  

There's always rank on the individuals hat, beret or helmet.  Chaplains have the cross (or whatever it's called) on their hat.  Pilots will tell you they're a pilot so there's no problem there  ;D
Serving since 1987.

fyrfitrmedic

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Gunner C

I like it.  The only differences I'd like to see are:

1.  No flags - that's Army and I can't stand backwards flags (I know that's another topic)

2.  No unit or "look at me" patches".

3.  Take "CAP" off the rank.  It's redundant - it's right next to the big CIVIL AIR PATROL.

Let's keep it simple.  Less is more.

I'd personally like to see us go back to the old jungles - they were the most comfortable uniform (and best looking) that I"ve ever seen.

GC

Gunner C

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 29, 2007, 03:44:31 PM
Also, if I am speaking to an artillery officer, I will know to talk louder.

:D :D :D

Stonewall

Quote from: Gunner C on December 29, 2007, 03:50:05 PM
3.  Take "CAP" off the rank.  It's redundant - it's right next to the big CIVIL AIR PATROL.

Let's keep it simple.  Less is more.

Already mentioned my opinion on the flags and patches.

As for the "CAP", I'd be all for just throwing CAP rank on there as well.  I just grabbed my Goretex rank tab and threw it on real quick.

+1 on the OD jungles.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: Gunner C on December 29, 2007, 03:51:17 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 29, 2007, 03:44:31 PM
Also, if I am speaking to an artillery officer, I will know to talk louder.

:D :D :D

Don't laugh (it's okay, I laugh too), but my dad-in-law is a retired Airborne Artillery Lt Col.  He's got the hearing aids and knee replacements to show for it too.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

I like it.  Is that a glint tape flag UK, looks like it.   IIRC they also make the uniform in navy blue and woodland camo, but I like the ODs.

Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Quote from: MIKE on December 29, 2007, 04:02:14 PM
I like it.  Is that a glint tape flag UK, looks like it.   IIRC they also make the uniform in navy blue and woodland camo, but I like the ODs.

Yep, that's an IR flag.  Only reverse flag I have with velcro on it at the time.  Like I said, I threw everything together this morning.  If I get bored, I may sew it all up just for good measure, to inlcude an embroidered flag.

They make the TRU (by TruSpec) in all sorts of colors, to include khaki, blue, OD, woodland and ARPAT.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Added the poll to this topic and removed the other one.

I like the uniform, but I still have reservations about ditching the AF-style utility uniform for TRUs across the board.  I still would like to see ABUs with white on blue insignia.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

keep bdus/bbbdus and then transition to ABU when available. 

Stonewall

While yes, I would absolutely love to have my proposed TRU for CAP, my true desire is to have ONE uniform for EVERYONE to wear.  I can't stand having 2 different uniforms for those who meet the regs and those who don't.  And Blue BDUs just don't do it for me as a "military" uniform.

To me, it's discriminatory towards the guys with a some extra poundage and fuzzies.
Serving since 1987.