Lifesaving Award Scenario

Started by coastguard69, May 02, 2013, 11:16:12 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on May 04, 2013, 04:56:04 AMNot "everyone" is receiving them....as not everyone is doing the job.
100%?  No, but if you're active enough to be considered an asset somewhere in CAP, the only reason you don't have a PVSA is because you didn't put in for it.

Adults qualify at 100 hours - that doesn't even require a meeting every week in most cases.

When CAP gets to a point that it's able to sustain it's own operations and missions, then it can worry about helping outside of CAP.  We're far from that on a national level.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

I have to admit, despite my disdain for ticket punching, every time I go to that website, I'm inclined
to submit myself for the awards - which goes to your point about what people will do for a little bauble.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

That badge looks like a challenge coin!

Devil Doc

Quote from: Eclipse on May 04, 2013, 05:04:56 AM
I have to admit, despite my disdain for ticket punching, every time I go to that website, I'm inclined
to submit myself for the awards - which goes to your point about what people will do for a little bauble.

What Website?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Devil Doc on May 04, 2013, 03:33:02 PM

What Website?

The President's Volunteer Service Award website (link included).

Devil Doc

Ahh, lol. I went to the website. I could prolly get the bronze award within 1 week.  But, I will wait until 2016 to apply.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Eclipse

Quote from: Devil Doc on May 04, 2013, 03:33:02 PM

What Website?

http://www.presidentialserviceawards.gov/

(Though it appears to be down at the moment - was working last night.)

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Quote from: Devil Doc on May 04, 2013, 03:40:59 PM
Ahh, lol. I went to the website. I could prolly get the bronze award within 1 week.  But, I will wait until 2016 to apply.
I would probably wait until after 20 January 2017. I hope.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

PHall

Quote from: ol'fido on May 05, 2013, 01:19:35 AM

Really???  You guys let politics decide if you're going to serve your community? ::)

Devil Doc

No, I still serve my Community, going to take that long to get the Gold Medal, and, I don't want something with said signature on it. Yes I meant 2017 :)
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Eclipse

You'd prefer Hillary's sig on there?

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2013, 02:48:10 AM

LOL.

ol'fido

Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2013, 02:48:10 AM

No, that's why I said I hope. Yeah, the likelihood of me actually putting in for this thing is about the same as them moving IL wing headquarters to  the city of Macedonia, IL, "Cultural Center of the Known Universe".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia,_Illinois
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Private Investigator

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 03, 2013, 03:05:05 PMIf my kid was laying on the table waiting for his new kidney, I wouldnt want a 250hr private pilot bringing his organ. 

You really should be happy he/she is getting a kidney.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Devil Doc on May 04, 2013, 02:43:50 AM
I'm a member of the Red Cross. Does training and taking classes with the red cross count as CS?

I was a policeman for 25 years. Do I get a Silver Medal of Valor, Bronze Medal of Valor and the Lifesaving Awards for the stuff I did on my day job?  8)

Private Investigator

Devil Doc

Quote from: Private Investigator on May 05, 2013, 04:58:11 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on May 04, 2013, 02:43:50 AM
I'm a member of the Red Cross. Does training and taking classes with the red cross count as CS?

I was a policeman for 25 years. Do I get a Silver Medal of Valor, Bronze Medal of Valor and the Lifesaving Awards for the stuff I did on my day job?  8)

Well, the  Redcross is not my Day Job, so I think training should be considered volunteering. Do they not have Police life saving awards? I got an Valor award in the Military, i'm not claiming I should get a medal of valor through CAP for it.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Eclipse

The Red Cross has a whole slew of their own awards and recognition, as many or more than CAP.

For example in the case of a cadet giving blood, they would be eligible for the "Red Cord".

Training is not service, in the ARC, CAP, or anywhere else.  Training is preparation for service.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

Fair Enough, Even if the training takes 10-12 plus hours? I'm not expecting to get hours, just asking the opinions of what people think.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Eclipse

Quote from: Devil Doc on May 05, 2013, 05:51:17 PM
Fair Enough, Even if the training takes 10-12 plus hours? I'm not expecting to get hours, just asking the opinions of what people think.

As far as I'm concerned, anyway.  Most worthwhile training takes at least a full day, but that just gets you ready to actually
do something.

"That Others May Zoom"