Civil Air Patrol National Radar Analysis Team

Started by Hawk200, November 30, 2019, 04:13:48 PM

Hawk200

Hopefully, this is appropriate place to ask.

Anyone familiar with this?

Ran across it while perusing Twitter @cap_nrat . Clicking the link gives an error ("you do not have permission to view this page.")

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Eclipse

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/NRAT_Update___Jun_2017_C0D1DD497B263.pdf

Yes - plenty of discussion here on the NRAT.

It's a small group of CAP members with special access to the cell phone system fast-access to radar data & NTAP
data that they use in combination with BISC-type search techniques to find missing people and aircraft.

They have accounted for the lion's share of saves for the last couple of years.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Interesting.

I scanned through the PDF on my phone.

Are they organized as a unit? Or can anyone join it? (With appropriate background, of course.)

Just find this interesting. Seems very efficient in what they've managed to accomplish. (Which is very important.)

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on November 30, 2019, 04:20:53 PMIt's a small group of CAP members with special access to the cell phone system as well as NTAP
data that they use in combination with BISC-type search techniques to find missing people and aircraft.

NRAT does not use cell phone information, that would be the "Cell Phone Team" that does that.

NIN

The NRAT & Cell Phone teams are very small and kept that way organizationally for a reason.

People get "hired" for those teams based on a very select set of skills and abilities that they can contribute.

There are only 13 people on the NRAT team and they are a chartered unit.

The Cell team is part of AZ Wing, but they're a national asset.  They're even smaller than the NRAT team.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on November 30, 2019, 10:20:34 PM
People get "hired" for those teams based on a very select set of skills and abilities that they can contribute.

Liam Neeson has been the CC since 2008.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

These members can do their jobs with their laptops while sitting on a beach enjoying a sip of tea. They can be anywhere in the world with internet access. IOW, there is no need for each Wing to have a team. Its not a local operation. IMHO, its really marginally a CAP operation. These members could splinter off and do their own thing as long as another organization with the connections to cell phone and radar data would take them in.

However its good they stay with us ... when they make a find or save, CAP nationally gets credited, so we can use those numbers in our marketing, as if we were all involved. Its really quite amusing when you think about it. :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

CAP9907

Quote from: etodd on December 01, 2019, 03:20:29 AM
These members can do their jobs with their laptops while sitting on a beach enjoying a sip of tea. They can be anywhere in the world with internet access. IOW, there is no need for each Wing to have a team. Its not a local operation. IMHO, its really marginally a CAP operation. These members could splinter off and do their own thing as long as another organization with the connections to cell phone and radar data would take them in.

However its good they stay with us ... when they make a find or save, CAP nationally gets credited, so we can use those numbers in our marketing, as if we were all involved. Its really quite amusing when you think about it. :)

I can only agree 100% with this... as a 20 yr SAR professional and CAP volunteer.

~9907
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Hawk200

Quote from: NIN on November 30, 2019, 10:20:34 PM

There are only 13 people on the NRAT team and they are a chartered unit.

The Cell team is part of AZ Wing, but they're a national asset.  They're even smaller than the NRAT team.

That's the info I was curious about.

I don't I have the skills to join NRAT, but it's cool to know about such a unit.

Even though people can't just join up those units, it could be something useful to mention when recruiting. People like to be part of organizations with unique missions, even if they don't directly contribute to that particular mission.