Retention of Rank after Resignation

Started by Toth, February 11, 2019, 03:04:37 AM

Toth

Hello all,

I wanted to ask about retaining your rank after resigning. Allow me to explain. I've been a cadet for a while now, and have participated in many activities at the squadron, wing, region and national level that made me fall in love with CAP. That love remains, and I hope to be able to dedicate myself to the program again sometime in the future. That being said, I'm currently working two jobs, taking a full course load at college, volunteer firefighting and serving as a reserve deputy. With all these commitments I am unable to participate actively in CAP and as such I feel it is time to gracefully bow out of the program, albeit temporarily.

As a C/Capt, I am aware that I can be promoted to SM 1st Lt upon turning to the dark side. My question is, if I resign, is that rank saved anywhere if I reenter the program later in life? or would I have to start as a SM and work up from there?

Appreciate the help, thanks!
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

Spaceman3750

Your Earhart award is tracked online at NHQ but I would definitely save a copy of your member report from eServices.

SarDragon

If you are old enough to convert to SM, do so, and then become a patron member. Then you don't lose anything, and I think the dues become cheaper. When you have the time again, go back to active membership, and start participating again.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

If you do nothing but continue to write a check each year, you will automatically be put in Patron
status at 21. If you choose to go active again, you'd submit fingerprints, etc., and would then be
eligible to be advanced promoted base on your final grade as a cadet.

If you are considering dark-siding now, the remainder of your year would be at the cadet rate of
membership, increasing the nest renewal.

If you simply drop off the roster, you will save yourself the annual dues, and have the same eligibility
when and if you choose to re-join CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

I would personally download a copy of your 101 card and your e-Services report which you can pull here (paste into a window but DO NOT PRESS ENTER):

https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.MemberSearch.Web/Reports/MemberDetails?CAPID=

And put your CAPID after the equals sign.

Those two items are about the most complete of a report you can get from e-Services; you should also make a copy of your hard file if your squadron has one.

Eclipse

I agree on the personnel file and MSR.  The 101 won't hurt but isn't much value other then nostalgia.

If you're back in less then 2 years, it'll all be there, if not, you're starting
from scratch regardless.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fester

Quote from: Eclipse on February 11, 2019, 05:14:14 AM
I agree on the personnel file and MSR.  The 101 won't hurt but isn't much value other then nostalgia.

If you're back in less then 2 years, it'll all be there, if not, you're starting
from scratch regardless.

He would not lose the opportunity to come back in as a 1Lt. after 2 years.  I was a cadet from 92 to 97, made it as far as Eaker and then lost interest and quit paying dues.  After a 20 year hiatus, I rejoined last year and was eligible (with a request to NHQ from my Squadron CC) to be automatically promoted to 1Lt. Eaker was awarded in 96 and NHQ still had it on record in eServices.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Eclipse

I was referring to ES quals in reference to the 101.

"That Others May Zoom"

GroundHawg

Quote from: SarDragon on February 11, 2019, 03:23:17 AM
If you are old enough to convert to SM, do so, and then become a patron member. Then you don't lose anything, and I think the dues become cheaper. When you have the time again, go back to active membership, and start participating again.

This is what I was going to suggest. I wouldn't just quit, I have a gap in service due to college and military and regret doing it now.

SarDragon

Quote from: GroundHawg on February 11, 2019, 05:04:56 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on February 11, 2019, 03:23:17 AM

This is what I was going to suggest. I wouldn't just quit, I have a gap in service due to college and military and regret doing it now.

Same here. I had financial and location issues for a while, and let my membership lapse for six years. When I rejoined, I had to essentially start over, since I had no available records to validate anything except my Mitchell certificate. That's why I suggested converting to SM, and going Patron until you can participate again.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on February 11, 2019, 10:08:52 PM
Same here. I had financial and location issues for a while, and let my membership lapse for six years. When I rejoined, I had to essentially start over, since I had no available records to validate anything except my Mitchell certificate. That's why I suggested converting to SM, and going Patron until you can participate again.

To be fair, stone tablets are a lot harder to store then bits and bytes.

In today's paradigm, the only real advantage would be earlier retirement or 50-year award.
NHQ's not going to lose the records of anyone who is a cadet today.

"That Others May Zoom"

Angus

I totally agree with what has been said.  Come to the Dark Side and go Patron.  While I was never a cadet, for a couple years I was in the same boat other commitments had me to busy to be an active member.  So I went Patron and yes it does cost a little less.   
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Eclipse

Another factor, more for the Seniors then the dark-siders, is that after two years or separation,
restoration of grade is not only not automatic, the member is subject to meeting the current
requirements for the grade requested.

As an example, Lt Cols without Level IV would be eligible for restoration of Major at best.

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

Quote from: Eclipse on February 12, 2019, 05:33:02 PM
Another factor, more for the Seniors then the dark-siders, is that after two years or separation,
restoration of grade is not only not automatic, the member is subject to meeting the current
requirements for the grade requested.

As an example, Lt Cols without Level IV V wouldn't be eligible for restoration of Major at best.
True, but irrelevant in this case since the promotion is based on the Earhart award.

Although, if there has been a two year or longer gap, Level 1 would need to be completed before eligibility for promotion.

TheSkyHornet

So is the "Ret." in the signature a joke, or supposed to be serious?  ???

SarDragon

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 13, 2019, 02:05:13 AM

To whom are you speaking? If it's me, the Ret. refers to my highest held cadet grade. I remained a member another 11 years after I "turned to the dark side". 

What is the problem with using Ret? I wasn't the first to use it, nor will I likely be the last.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: SarDragon on February 13, 2019, 06:26:45 AM

To whom are you speaking? If it's me, the Ret. refers to my highest held cadet grade. I remained a member another 11 years after I "turned to the dark side". 

What is the problem with using Ret? I wasn't the first to use it, nor will I likely be the last.

Eherm...

Boss, I was referring to the OP.

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 13, 2019, 02:32:37 PM

Eherm...

Nice try at a recovery. >:D

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: PHall on February 13, 2019, 03:56:08 PM

Eherm...

That was a legitimate statement.

C/Capt .... CAP
C/CC .... (ret.), .... Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)

Toth

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 13, 2019, 06:55:36 PM
Quote from: PHall on February 13, 2019, 03:56:08 PM

Eherm...

That was a legitimate statement.

C/Capt .... CAP
C/CC .... (ret.), .... Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)

Apologies for reviving a thread I started two months ago. I appreciate everyone's feedback, still haven't quite decided if I'll go patron or try to stay active but I appreciate the great information.

And why does it matter that I use ret in my signature, how else would you have me put that I used to do these things ???
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2