Civil Air Patrol Historical Foundation

Started by James Shaw, July 18, 2010, 07:39:36 PM

James Shaw

Greetings All!!

I wanted to update my fellow members on the momentum we are trying to create in the CAPHF. After taking over as the Interim Director I felt we needed to reachout to the members and show them what we are doing. It has been a slow process but we are making headway. Please look at the information below and know that we are working on things to reach our members and those who may be interested in our history.

UPDATE AS OF JULY 12TH

CAPHF Board Meeting
Ex Officio Board Members
1.   National Commander CAP – MajGen Amy Courter (Chairwoman)
2.   CAP Exec Director – Mr. Don Rowland
3.   CAP Legal Council – Rafael Roblis
4.   CAP National Historian – Col Len Blascovich
5.   CAPHF Exec Director – Jim Shaw (Interim)
6.   Director at Large (1) Axel Ostling, (2) Ray Lyon
7.   Treasurer – Todd Engelman
8.   Secretary – Kacey Smith

The Civil Air Patrol Historical Foundation Mission Statement
Derived from the CAPHF Articles of Incorporation

"To be the official repository and custodian of the history, artifacts, documents and memorabilia of Civil Air Patrol. "
The Civil Air Patrol Historical Foundation Vision Statement

"To preserve and display CAP history, artifacts, documents, equipment including aircraft and memorabilia in museums and collections created or supported by the foundation.

The Civil Air Patrol Historical Foundation Goal Statement
"To conduct a history program which would accurately display the accomplishments of the USAF Auxiliary Civil Air Patrol  and its Volunteer Members.

Completed Project –
National Military History Museum  (Auburn IN) Largest display of CAP artifacts available to the public. Includes 200+ items and aircraft.

Present Projects –
CAP Vintage Movie DVD
CAP Collectors Catalog CD
National WWII Museum

Future Projects -
CAP Flying Minute Men  Audio Book Download
CAP Music CD Download
CAP Coastal Patrol Outreach Program
CAPHF Congressional Gold Medal Support
CAPHF 70th Anniversary Poster
CAP 70th Anniversary Celebration
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Smithsonia

Jim;
I firmly believe that with this and a couple of other new projects... we are entering a "Golden Age" of CAP History.
All the best to you and the Foundation Team.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Patterson

Nothing with the United States Air Force Museum??  It is really the only Air Force Museum.  All others located at Installations across the country are units of the AFM at Wright-Patterson.

Questions.....

1) Where are the majority of Historical Items kept that will be taken care of by the HF?
2) Your Board seems like that of a "for profit entity".....is it going to be?
3) This is the first time I have read about this group..... do you have bylaws and incorporation documents that the public may view?
4) Will CAP pay for the acquisition of historical items?
5) What is the "CAPHF Congressional Gold Medal Support" all about?
6) "National Military History Museum  (Auburn IN) Largest display of CAP artifacts available to the public. Includes 200+ items and aircraft".  I do believe a gentleman in England at a World War Two British/American Airfield has more on display than that. 

James Shaw

Quote from: Patterson on July 24, 2010, 12:29:53 AM
Nothing with the United States Air Force Museum??  It is really the only Air Force Museum.  All others located at Installations across the country are units of the AFM at Wright-Patterson.

Questions.....

1) Where are the majority of Historical Items kept that will be taken care of by the HF?
*The Historical Foundation items are stored in a secured facility.
*The CAP National Collection is partially stored with me and other items in a secured facility.

2) Your Board seems like that of a "for profit entity".....is it going to be?
*No we are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization since 1997. Where did for profit come from?

3) This is the first time I have read about this group..... do you have bylaws and incorporation documents that the public may view?
*Yes we have bylaws and articles of incorporation originated in 1997.

4) Will CAP pay for the acquisition of historical items?
*CAP does not pay for  any CAPHF items. We are seperate from CAP itself.

5) What is the "CAPHF Congressional Gold Medal Support" all about?
*We are volunterring to help CAP research those members who served during WWII to possibly be honored by Congress.

6) "National Military History Museum  (Auburn IN) Largest display of CAP artifacts available to the public. Includes 200+ items and aircraft".  I do believe a gentleman in England at a World War Two British/American Airfield has more on display than that.
*Not sure about that. Never seen it or heard about it. Did see a story about BG Chitwood collected some items for a museum in that area. Havent heard or seen anything else. Dont know if it is the same.
Jim Shaw

bosshawk

I will be visiting the AF Museum at Wright-Pat in Sept and will gladly report back if I find any CAP items there. 
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Smithsonia

At Wright Pat AF Museum there is a Piper Cub in CAP colors, a 50th anniversary bench celebrating CAP, and a uniform exhibit from WW2. There is also a CAP flag and some associated organization like the Civilian Pilot Training Program, Civil Defense, and Red Cross. Within these pictures can be spotted CAP personnel and equipment. There are many items in the History Archives which are housed there. Of course, there are likely more items. However it is a large and delightfully exhausting tour of our history in the air.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

DakRadz

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-SHORT-CLUTCHBACK-WINGS-CIVIL-AIR-PATROL-NOT-MARKED-/270603370399?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0137bf9f

Well, it's historical. If authentic.. I'm sure you can tell.

Several other memorabilia on ebay, but this caught my eye.

The most appropriate item I saw, as relating to CAPTalk, was the CAP flask. 'nuff said ;)

BillB

Not really historical. And was not introduced until after World War II. In fact it wasn't that many years ago the drop wing style was replaced with the current wings. Maybe CAPHISTOTIAN can give the exact dates, I don't have the Insignia book handy.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SarDragon

Quote from: BillB on July 24, 2010, 11:55:03 PM
Not really historical. And was not introduced until after World War II. In fact it wasn't that many years ago the drop wing style was replaced with the current wings. Maybe CAPHISTOTIAN can give the exact dates, I don't have the Insignia book handy.

I do. It was in Jan 1977. Thirty-three years - not that many years ago? How time flies when we're having fun!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

Whats going on with the massive CAP history document dump?

James Shaw

Quote from: RiverAux on August 19, 2010, 01:07:14 PM
Whats going on with the massive CAP history document dump?

Depends on what you are speaking of. Please elaborate.
Jim Shaw

RiverAux

Someone said that there was a project underway to post thousands of historical CAP documents on the web by end of July.  Thought it was you.

James Shaw

Yes Lt Col Mark Hess is working on a website that will allow us to have this type of material available.
Jim Shaw

Smithsonia

Captalkers;
I've been working with Mark Hess for over 14 months to get this history project website launched. His material is simply
stupefying. It is more than you can imagine or get through in several nights of rambling around. I think he plans to have it launched very soon... some computer problems have caused delays.

If you have material/pictures/documents/militaria/stories/etc. Get ready to photograph and scan them and send them to Mark. This should be a one stop CAP historical library and online museum of the first order.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

tarheel gumby

Quote from: Smithsonia on August 19, 2010, 07:01:30 PM
Captalkers;
I've been working with Mark Hess for over 14 months to get this history project website launched. His material is simply
stupefying. It is more than you can imagine or get through in several nights of rambling around. I think he plans to have it launched very soon... some computer problems have caused delays.

If you have material/pictures/documents/militaria/stories/etc. Get ready to photograph and scan them and send them to Mark. This should be a one stop CAP historical library and online museum of the first order.

Please send an address I would love to send some of the material that I have developed.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Smithsonia

^^^^^^^^
Joseph; Check your email - I've sent Mark Hess' address to you.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

James Shaw

I am happy to announce that my tenure as Interim Director has come to an end. I have been confirmed as the permanent director.

I also wanted members to know that I received 4 more movies and clips transfered from 16MM to DVD.

I also have the books From Maine to Mexico available for $20 donation.

I will post more as information comes available.
Jim Shaw

BillB

congratulations Jim. (but you're still not a LCol)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

James Shaw

Quote from: BillB on October 27, 2010, 11:32:21 AM
congratulations Jim. (but you're still not a LCol)

I am sending the black van to your house!!
Jim Shaw

Chappie

Quote from: caphistorian on October 27, 2010, 11:22:07 AM
I am happy to announce that my tenure as Interim Director has come to an end. I have been confirmed as the permanent director.

<SNIP>

Congratulations Jim...you have done and will continue a fine job.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)