New (Aug-Oct) issue of the Volunteer is out

Started by vento, September 25, 2009, 11:59:15 PM

vento

New copy of the Volunteer magazine is out. Just in case you need something to read over the weekend.

http://www.capvolunteernow.com/cap_volunteer/

Eclipse

Nice to see my and our people getting in there again!

NESA, JFA, and Clow are all featured prominently.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Got a little bone to pick with the Smilin' jack article. 

The caption on the photo on page 6 says,
QuoteIn this vintage undated photo, Zack Mosley -- one of the founding members of the World War II-era Coastal Patrol, which later became the Civil Air Patrol, takes notes while visiting other CAP members.....

Anyone else notice the problem with that statement?  Same problem can be found in the text as well right next to a very egregious historical mistake. 

Are our intrepid CAP historians being given a chance to review historical articles in the Volunteer?  Might not be a bad idea.

NCRblues

I really enjoy the 2 sentence article about NBB, that really covers all the cadet and es training, as well as all the finds and hard work... ::)
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Gunner C

I just wish they'd wait to put it on the web until after the hard copy magazines get to the members.  By the time it gets to me, I've already seen it.  Maybe they're getting ready to do a web-only mag.  That would save bundles of money.

James Shaw

Quote from: RiverAux on October 02, 2009, 03:04:52 AM
Got a little bone to pick with the Smilin' jack article. 

The caption on the photo on page 6 says,
QuoteIn this vintage undated photo, Zack Mosley -- one of the founding members of the World War II-era Coastal Patrol, which later became the Civil Air Patrol, takes notes while visiting other CAP members.....

Anyone else notice the problem with that statement?  Same problem can be found in the text as well right next to a very egregious historical mistake. 

Are our intrepid CAP historians being given a chance to review historical articles in the Volunteer?  Might not be a bad idea.

We do not have the opportunity on these things. These are done by staff and contract writers. We do on rare occasions if they involve something we have personally been involved with.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

BillB

River.
Exactly what did you find wrong with the statement.
1, Mosley did start a coastal Patrol in New York, prior to 1 December 1941
2. He was one of the founding members of CAP working with Mayor LaGuardia
3 Originally the coastal patrol was not a anti-sub operation, but after 1 January 1942, the thoughts
(Jill Mosley lives 6 miles from me and I've met and talked to her) So basically the VOLUNTEER statement is correct.  changed to the anti-sub concept
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

When you combine the caption to the photo (already quoted) with this text:
QuoteLater becoming the Civil Air Patrol, the Coastal Patrol was formed just six days before the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the start of World War II.
it is clear that the author mixed up the beginning of the Civil Air Patrol with the formation of the CAP's coastal patrol. 

I have yet to hear of any organization known as the "Coastal Patrol" formed prior to CAP and even if such an organization existed, it in no way "became CAP".  Maybe some members joined CAP, but it is not any sort of predecessor organization. There were several states that formed their own flying organizations before CAP was organized but they're not part of CAP's official history.