1 Mile Walk
9 (28.1%)
5K Run
12 (37.5%)
Never
11 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

addo1

So, they just announced a Fun Walk or 5K run for the National Conference next weekend. Who all is up for the challenge? You can count me in for the 5K run.  ;D

(Promotional poster attached)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

lordmonar

I guess I'll bring my PT gear and join you for the 5K stumble and wheeze run.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

addo1

Quote from: lordmonar on August 29, 2009, 01:41:22 AM

Looking forward to it SIR.  :)  Im only used the two mile cross country run, so this should be interesting.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

Ned

It will be an interesting route through downtown SA.

See you all there!

Airrace

IceNine

The National Drill team winners.

Or if you're smart.  Gen Courter

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

addo1

Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

DBlair

Quote from: addo1 on August 29, 2009, 03:21:43 AM

Looking forward to it SIR.  :)  Im only used the two mile cross country run, so this should be interesting.

You run a 2mi XC run? Just curious... Did they change the distance recently or is this a regional/local thing? When I ran XC it was 3.1mi/5k.

As for who would win... oh, to have the 1990s NJ/NER Drill Team still around. I think our team average was like a 5:45/mi (with a few in the 4:XX/mi range) and most were XC runners outside of CAP.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

addo1

Quote from: DBlair on August 29, 2009, 05:49:10 PM

You run a 2mi XC run? Just curious... Did they change the distance recently or is this a regional/local thing? When I ran XC it was 3.1mi/5k.

As for who would win... oh, to have the 1990s NJ/NER Drill Team still around. I think our team average was like a 5:45/mi (with a few in the 4:XX/mi range) and most were XC runners outside of CAP.

I was talking about school. At school, our cross country tournaments are two miles. Three shouldn't be too much different, I will just have to pace myself differently.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

DBlair

Quote from: addo1 on August 29, 2009, 08:02:32 PM
Quote from: DBlair on August 29, 2009, 05:49:10 PM

I was talking about school. At school, our cross country tournaments are two miles. Three shouldn't be too much different, I will just have to pace myself differently.

High School XC meets were always 3.1 miles (5k) when I did it and so thats why I was surprised at the 2mi distance you mentioned. Perhaps the distance varies in different locales. Regardless, I'm sure you will do fine at the NB 5k and while I won't be there to participate, I do wish you luck. It sounds like fun.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Chappie

Would like to participate....but we are leaving Sunday morning.  It's not that I am slow.....but I am sloooooooow.   The last time I ran in a 3k, they had these people stationed throughout the event which yelled out your times.  When I went by they yelled: "Thursday"!!!
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Cecil DP

Quote from: Chappie on August 30, 2009, 03:43:55 AM
Would like to participate....but we are leaving Sunday morning.  It's not that I am slow.....but I am sloooooooow.   The last time I ran in a 3k, they had these people stationed throughout the event which yelled out your times.  When I went by they yelled: "Thursday"!!!

The race is on Saturday, you should be out of the hospital in time to make your flight.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

addo1

Quote from: Cecil DP on August 30, 2009, 04:21:17 AM
Quote from: Chappie on August 30, 2009, 03:43:55 AM

The race is on Saturday, you should be out of the hospital in time to make your flight.

lol, nice... I have a feeling there will be many 5K "walkers," so you wont be alone.  ;)
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

Johnny Yuma

Folks, the Boards are in Texas. No one does 5K run/walks in Texas.

Now a trap shoot, or Hog hunt, and we're game!
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Gunner C

addo1

Soooo.... We (as in most of us :p ) finished the run... Half of us got lost and ended up doing more like a 8K run instead. It was all worth it though... Nothing like a fast-paced run through downtown San Antonio with Wing and Region CCs.  ;D  Thanks to all who came. It was a blast.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

AvroArrow

I'm used to running 5k for XC, but 8k huh?

You all must've been training for the Olympics  :D

addo1

Haha, not quite. There was no path marked out on the street and the map was unclear to most of us unfamiliar people in San Antonio at 6 o'clock. Either way, it was good. We enjoyed it. :)
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

Chappie

Whew....just completed the Fun Walk.  Wasn't that fun?!?!?!?    No, the Fun Walk was a good time.  The route took us down Commerce Street to the Alamo Plaza, across the street through the Hyatt water gardens to the Riverwalk and then through the Rivercenter Mall back to the hotel.  This event began a few years ago by Ruth Anderson, wife of former National CC - Gen Rich Anderson.  Gen Anderson and Ruth were part of the walking group.  The best part was the refreshments that followed.  Yes, I did receive the Fun Walk commemorative button and no, the uniform committee will not be considering that as a Specialty badge insignia  ;D
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Ned

I hear there may well be a 10k next year in San Diego.

That'd be great.