Main Menu

Out in the wild

Started by Walkman, February 19, 2008, 02:20:59 AM

When you're not doing SAR, when's your favorite outdoor activity? (Choose top 4)

Hunting
14 (37.8%)
Fishing
14 (37.8%)
Hiking
19 (51.4%)
Camping
19 (51.4%)
Mountain Climbing
7 (18.9%)
Boating
15 (40.5%)
Biking (motor or other)
6 (16.2%)
Running/Joging
2 (5.4%)
Golf
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Walkman

I was reading an article in the recent Field & Stream about sportsmen (& women) soldiers and fishing while deployed. It got me wondering who here is a fellow outdoor nut enthusiast.

Personally, if I could chuck my career and spend my days up in the mountains doing all of the above AND still provide for my family, I'd be there in a second.  ;D

addo1

My favorite activities are fishing, camping and hunting.  I also enjoy kayaking.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

mprokosch11

I've been an avid hunter for five years now.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

Eclipse

No choice for motorcycling, so no vote...

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

Flying.  Riding my Harley.

I don't hunt.  I lost enthusiasm for hunting when I realized it was no fun to go out and kill harmless woodland creatures when they would not let me kill the dangerous urban ones.

I did enough camping in the Army.  Camping is for duty, not for fun.

I got a set of golf clubs for Christmas, but I still pretty much suck at playing.
Another former CAP officer

Walkman

I haven't taken up hunting. I enjoy target archery right now, and have thought about hunting, but would need to buy a new bow. Bright blue & chrome probably wouldn't do well in the woods.  :D

RE: Bikes- Didn't think of that one (either motor or human powered) will add it to the poll.

DNall

Hadn't been dear hunting since I was a kid. Slam ducks pretty much every year though. Little bit of fishing, which is more about beer in the boat than catching fish.

Had to sell my boat, but wake boarding is pretty high on the list. Again, more about beer in the boat & hanging with friends. I'm really just good at wrecking spectacularly.

I do play golf a few times a year. Very not good... and surprise, more about friends & beer than playing worth a crap. Golf cart polo is pretty fun though.

More avid hunter of the female variety, with mixed success. Though beer tends to be involved, that's actually not the priority in this one.

Like John, I spend enough time in the field btwn the Army & CAP that sleeping on the ground doesn't impress me as much as a holiday inn.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: DNall on February 19, 2008, 06:17:26 PM
Hadn't been dear hunting since I was a kid.

I'm sure that your wife appreciates that...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

floridacyclist

I know this may come as a shock to everyone, but I like to ride my bicycle....no really, it's true! If you still don't believe me, check out the website in my profile :)

Seriously, we love our bikes, sailboats (we have 3 now, a 25' Seidelmann, 17' macgregor, and 16" tanzer), canoes, and kayaks. We don't go camping just to go camping, but it often saves us enough money on the other pursuits to make them affordable.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

DNall

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 19, 2008, 06:24:50 PM
Hadn't been dear hunting since I was a kid.

I'm sure that your wife appreciates that...
;D you got me there. Still holding out on the wife thing long as I can. Though if I had one, I imagine she wouldn't appreciate this one much either:
More avid hunter of the female variety, with mixed success. Though beer tends to be involved, that's actually not the priority in this one.

Pylon

You may want to add "Running/Jogging" and "Golf"  ;)  (not that I do either of those)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Walkman

Quote from: Pylon on February 19, 2008, 07:58:19 PM
You may want to add "Running/Jogging" and "Golf"  ;)  (not that I do either of those)

Done!

alexalvarez

I have been jogging since 1999.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

Eclipse

Quote from: alexalvarez on February 20, 2008, 02:58:42 AM

You must be tired and dehydrated....

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

Does a color coded route at my local rock gym count as mountain climbing? ;)
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jimmydeanno

Quote from: alexalvarez on February 20, 2008, 02:58:42 AM

That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going. When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go... you know... I went.
;D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

KFreeman

#1 is flying so I don't get a vote there.
#2 is amateur radio activities so no vote there either.
#3 a 2 mile walk every day, rain or shine, I'm 76 so no running now.
#4 would have to be boating. Belong to CGAux and local yacht club.

Regards,
Ken
Authentic Antique Aviator