Being a Squadron Commander (pros and cons)

Started by afgeo4, January 05, 2008, 09:06:12 AM

afgeo4

As my Time In Service creeps up to the 6 year mark I start thinking that one of these days I will have to stand up and take command of a unit. I have completed level 2 and am almost done with my senior rating in Cadet Programs and technician's rating in Senior Programs. I have been a decent staff officer (I think anyway) on squadron and group levels and I think it's time I started to think about moving forward.

I know many of you have been or are currently unit commanders. What's your advice to someone in my position? I'd like to hear both positive and negative feedback please so as to prepare myself best. Just FYI, although I have completed the SLS, AFIADL-13, CLC, and TLC, I have not done the UCC yet.
GEORGE LURYE

JAFO78

I kind of fell into being a commander. I was Deputy first. The unit CDR made me his deputy as I had experience from being an officer in Navy JROTC in high school, that and we only had a hand full of active seniors. 5 or 6. We were a cadet squadron, with something like 20 seniors on the roster. You get the idea.

About 18 months later the Commander decided he was stepping down and moving on.
JAFO

Stonewall

You know, some people can complete every PD course up to the Wilson and still not be fit for command.  And someone fit to command a senior squadron may not be the same person qualified to command a composite or cadet squadron.

To me, you could have a fresh new CAP member with just 2 years in that could do better than a 10 year veteran with all the PD boxes checked.

Charisma, patience, focus and an attitude that is contagious to others.  Realize that you'll do 10 hours of pre-planning for a weekend activity and no matter how many cadets raise their hand to attend, only a handful (if you're lucky) will show.  But then, you have to counter that reaction by putting together the best activity those handful of cadets have ever experienced.  Because when you do that, you'll never have to advertise or promote another activity again, the cadets will do it for you.

Organization of your administration is key.  Organize the admin aspect of your squadron so that one person, i.e. you, can do it solo.  Why?  Because even your best friend will can let you down as your DCC.  Your 5-man leadership/management team can be the best in the world, but as adults they'll have lots of other demands in their life.  Right when you need that safety report due to wing, your safety officer will be called away on a business trip.  

There is lots more, but in short,  your attitude and personal attributes will play a role that exceeds that of your experience in PD courses.

Just sayin', from a BTDT who go squadron of the year a handful of times.

Pro:  Best experience ever in CAP
Con:  Burned me out quicker than being a DCC 3x over
Serving since 1987.

Ladyhawk

Being a unit commander can be a great experience.  It can also be very challenging.  I was the first woman to ever command my squadron and some of the men in my unit had been in CAP longer than I've been alive.  Lots of leadership challenges!!  Overall, I'd say that it's worth it!

On the PD side, I'd suggest you try to take UCC before you accept command.  It's not a cure all but it helps.  The other course I'd recommend is either a Technician or Senior level Inspector General course.  I took the Sr. level I.G. course that was offered at a Natl. conference.  I spent most of the two days muttering to myself that I wish I'd known all that stuff before I took command.  My wing commander at the time was in the same course and had the same reaction. 

In addition to coursework, I also made a point of reading everything I could find on leadership and leadership theory.  I particularly liked the books by John C. Maxwell.  A book called "Get Your Ship Together" by D. Michael Abrashoff is also excellent.  If there are any female officers out there who aspire to command, I'd also recommend "Leading from the Front: No Excuse Leadership Tactics for Women" by former Marine Captains Angie Morgan and Courtney Lynch.

Since that stint as a squadron commander, I've gone on to do other things including serving for a period of time as a group commander.  I found both experiences to be very rewarding as well as occasionally frustrating.  Again, I believe it's worth the effort.

Best of luck in your future command!

Maj. Tonya Boylan, CAP
Georgia Wing

Major Carrales

The trick is to have a good and effective staff, this prevents burnouts.  I have commanded a unit twice in my CAP Career.  The first time I was unready and, as many, thrust into the position with the common "if you dont' take command of the unit it will be disbanned.  The choice is up to you."

That was horrible, I had to do everything and, let me tell you no amount to CAP passion can hold against that for any given length of time.  I then had to begin graduate school and had to take a sabbatical.

Years later, like two, I came back ready to take my role as a PAO.  Situations and circumstanced eventually let me back to command, however, this time it was different.

1) Develop momentum by setting goals and checking them off as they are complete.  The goals can range from the mundane to the ambitious.  Regular reassesment keeps it "real." 

2) Keep a Staff, you migth be tops in AIROPS, but you, as a commander, have more concerns now.  Appoint an ES and OPS Officer that is able to deal with things and fully understands necessary CAP REGS and local suplements.  You might be  a Cadet Programs "guru," but like the first case...you now have more of a scope.  Find a CP person that can do it and offer them support.

Finance, Publis Affairs, Admin and Personnel should be filled. 

Once you are in a position to direct these programs with out "being the program" (No man is a SQUADRON), you can actually start to have fun with it.

3) Meglomaniacs need not apply.  Directing the vision of a squadron is one things, crushing resistance that stands in your way is another.  Strong leadership and meglomania are not one in the same.  I have seen the meglomaniac destroy the unit.

Never forget that the type of Volunteerism and Service the CAP offer, while driven by passionate desire to serve the communit, state and nation, is shatterable. 

A commander that makes demands and issues orders and idicts, is due for a fall.  A Commander must look at the "grain" in the wood that is the squadron and use those grains to highlight the units strengths and needs.

You have to really ride a fine line.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

lordmonar

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 05, 2008, 09:06:12 AM
As my Time In Service creeps up to the 6 year mark I start thinking that one of these days I will have to stand up and take command of a unit. I have completed level 2 and am almost done with my senior rating in Cadet Programs and technician's rating in Senior Programs. I have been a decent staff officer (I think anyway) on squadron and group levels and I think it's time I started to think about moving forward.

I know many of you have been or are currently unit commanders. What's your advice to someone in my position? I'd like to hear both positive and negative feedback please so as to prepare myself best. Just FYI, although I have completed the SLS, AFIADL-13, CLC, and TLC, I have not done the UCC yet.

While those classes are okay....they WILL NOT prepare you to be a squadron commander.

Depending on the flavor of your squadron....you got to get with the major players....finance, logistics, operations, cadet programs and see how they do their jobs so you can find out what is important and what is not......then you need to break out the regulations and see how they say you are supposed to do it!

Other than that...it is just management, time, resources, personnel.  Delegate as much as you can!

I SAY AGAIN!

Delegate as much as you can.

You can't do it all.....if you can't find someone qualified to do it....call wing/group for help...that's what they are there for.

Get with the commanders of any other squadrons nearby and meet with them regulary...not as part of a staff meeting, but just an informal round table, where you can shoot ideas and ask advice.

Being a squadron commander is very rewarding....I'm about to assume command of a squadron on Tuesday!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ZigZag911

If you haven't been deputy for seniors, it's good experience in preparation for squadron command.

DCC is also valuable, but more focused on the cadet program, less on the administration of a unit.

RiverAux

Probably the most rewarding as well as most challenging part of my time in squadron command was improving the senior meetings.  Ideally I would have had a deputy commander for seniors to do that, but it wasn't to be, so had to run things myself.  I think by our near record-setting attendenace during that time that I probably did a good job.  However, after about a year and a half it was getting harder and harder to keep things fresh and it did become a real chore.  I really do try to not be too judgemental, but the meetings have gone way downhill since I moved on to other jobs.  Difficult to offer advice to by successors without getting too much in their business though. 

Thankfully, I did have a few key staff members, including outstanding deputy commanders for cadets, that did their share.

The pressure does come on when you get a call for a mission and have to round up aircrews and ground teams.  I don't think we ever had to turn down a mission, but it did get tough every now and again. 

My weakness was on the internal politics of the Wing.  Apparently I offered up my opinion to the Wing Commander and some on the Wing staff just one too many times.  Silly me thinking that a squadron commander's point of view might be somewhat relevant.  In any case, I had my moment of poetic justice later on, but thats not a story for CAPTalk. 

Stonewall

Quote from: RiverAux on January 07, 2008, 05:01:25 AMIn any case, I had my moment of poetic justice later on, but thats not a story for CAPTalk. 

No, but the PM button works and I enjoy a good reading  ;D
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

wldcard

I accepted under the heading if no one does it the squadron's charter will be revoked.  It has been hard.  Information/training from wing region national is non-existant in the areas most needed.  All of the PD stuff helps.  In the end I wouldn't trade it for any other spot.  Our composite squadron has fresh blood and my staff is really getting involved.  The Cadets have been the biggest contributers to the advancement of the squadron. Always be ready to ask for help!! Our Group Commander informed us that part of wing's job was support for squadrons.  It's been 9 months we started from ground up (lost 90% of active seniors) and things are looking up.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.