Anyone here want to get fit with me?

Started by Walkman, January 02, 2013, 12:05:11 AM

Walkman

I lost some weight this last year to get back into CAP/USAF H/W. I was hovering right below the line until somehow I was being force fed so many holiday treats I gained a few pounds back. Those rascals! The nerve of forcing so much chocolate and sugar on my unwilling person!  8)

My wife has also inspired me. She's lost almost 80 pounds and is running 5Ks left & right and looks amazing!

I'm there are other CT'ers that wouldn't mind getting a little healthier, too. So I was thinking we could do something together. Maybe have some sort of accountability group, or have a thread where we post our progress and set backs. I don't know how to put something together like this, but I'm open to ideas and anyone who wants to join me in getting "fit to fight" this year.

Thoughts, ideas? I know this isn't completely CAP specific, but it seems a healthier CAP is a better CAP.

Dad2-4

I willing to jump in. I've been struggling to get a real start after many false starts to exercising on a regular basis and eating healthier. I've now been 2 weeks with only one Coke, eating smaller portions at lunch and dinner, and have ridden my bike to work 2 Wednesdays in a row. That may not sound like much to some, but for me it's a BIG accomplishment.

Stonewall

Attached is one of three papers I've written in the last 2 to 3 years on diet/nutrition/fitness based on MY experiences over the past 3 years (as of this month).

I've become quite the advocate of fitness and nutrition after my personal experiences, but many people who seek advice, guidance, or encouragement usually scoff at my brutally honest assessment of their eating and fitness habits.  Long story short, a MAJORITY of people who are seeking to improve their level of fitness and/or lose some weight, generally fail due to will power.  The fattest of fat people can verbally tell you what needs to be done, but will fail to follow their own words.

It takes commitment, dedication, and desire.  The most valid advice I can give anyone is that this is a LIFESTYLE change, not a diet or weight loss plan. 

3 years ago this month I looked at myself in the mirror and was disgusted.  I was over 230 lbs and in the worst shape of my life.  I made the commitment right there.  Still, today, I am under 200 lbs and score a 100% on my AF PT test (November 2012).  My last 4 PT tests since July 2010 have had runs (1.5 mile) at 9:24, 9:14, 9:11, and 9:06 and all scores have steadily increased from 95 to 100 in the past 3 years (4 tests).

YOU, as in YOU AND ONLY YOU, must make the commitment and make YOUR life more important than other things like CAP or even going to see movies.  80% of this journey (lifestyle change) is about your diet and the nutrition you consume daily.  The other 20%, fitness, is absolutely necessary, to keep your body fit and physically capable of survival. 

You can do it, but only if you make it YOUR priority.

/Soapbox
Serving since 1987.

Private Investigator

For the seniors and retiree types. Walk five times a week for fitness. 45 minutes is great but any walking is better than zero. Some days it is only 20 or 30 minutes but it is better than nothing.

Be strong and safe   8)

Walkman

Quote from: Stonewall on January 02, 2013, 03:41:03 AM
I've become quite the advocate of fitness and nutrition after my personal experiences...

Stonewall, you're one of the guys that's inspired me, BTW.

My current plan is cutting down (or out) sugary treats, sodas and grain carbs, upping the protein and veggies, then adding 45 minute workout at the gym during lunch. I've had some success this way in the past.

One of the reasons I'm asking out here is that I know a support system is crucial. My wife has done great because she's involved with different competitions and programs at her gym and there's a lot of great energy there. I was thinking there had to be other in CT that had similar goals and we could provide some esprit 'd corps.

Pylon

As far as mutual assistance and accountability and inspiration goes, have you considered starting a Civil Air Patrol or CAPTalk group on Fitocracy?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Walkman

Quote from: Pylon on January 02, 2013, 02:08:10 PM
As far as mutual assistance and accountability and inspiration goes, have you considered starting a Civil Air Patrol or CAPTalk group on Fitocracy?

I've never heard of that site. I'll check it out. Thanks!