Main Menu

Sandwich Sirs/Ma'ams

Started by vorter, August 25, 2010, 11:40:19 PM

vorter

What is the proper placement of sirs(ma'ams) as many people sandwich them (Sir, yes sir... for example). I believe that in the case of "Yes, sir" it is at the end, but I think when saying "Sir, requesting permission to get water" It is at the front. Is there any grammar rule to determine where the "sir" or "ma'am" is placed?
C/2nd Lt Hyeung

HGjunkie

IIRC, I read somewhere that if you're reporting in or requesting something, you place it at the beginning. Replies are either way. BUT, sir/maam sandwiches are a pet peeve of mine. It sounds stupid.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

AlphaSigOU

Only those who wanna sound 'hardkewl' (and watched Full Metal Jacket too many times) do the 'sir sandwich'. Annoying and redundant.

The honorific 'Sir/Ma'am' usually is at the beginning of a reporting statement: 'Sir, Cadet Baggadonuts reports as ordered.' You add Sir/Ma'am to your response if directed at you by an officer.

If you are overtaking an officer in a narrow passage or hallway, say 'By your leave sir/ma'am' and wait until he or she says 'Granted'. Don't 'hit the wall'. If there's plenty of room to pass in the hallway, the standard greeting will suffice.

The 'standard answers' (replace 'sir' with 'ma'am' as appropriate) :

Yes sir
No sir
No excuse, sir
Beg pardon, sir
By your leave, sir?
Sir, may I ask a question?
Sir, may I make a statement?

There are variations to the above, but I think I've covered most of them.

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

lordmonar

Well....back in Basic Training (1986) we had to start every conversation with "Sir, Airman <your name> reports...." if we were asking a question....or "Sir, Airman <Your name> reports as ordered..." if you were answering a question.

After basic training.....it is simply "yes sir, No Ma'am".

The "reporting statement" is good for basic training and maybe encampment....but that is all.  Just yes sir, no sir.  Everthing else is just BS.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP