Started by RogueLeader, December 06, 2007, 08:04:30 PM

RogueLeader

Here is a mp3 of the CAP song.
Got the link from Capblog
linky to song
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

A.Member

One of the most horrible songs I've ever heard...and what does it mean?   Just horrible.

This song was better left forgotten long ago.  The fact that Midway Six put it on his blog does not mean it should be circulated further.  Let's just pretend this didn't happen.

Mods: Please delete this thread.  >:D

Thanks!  ;) :)

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

mikeylikey

YIKES!  What?!?!?  Did anyone else Throw-up all over their keyboards too? 

I have never, what, who, OMG.......BLAH

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Please someone go back in time and stop me from listening to that. 

What's up monkeys?

Dad2-4

Nomex Maximus

Put silver wingssssss
on my cadet's chest....
And make him one of Civil Air Patrol's best
And he will be the cadet they test one day
and have him win the CAP BERET!!!

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Duke Dillio

Zieg Heil!!!!

Song es der gut!!!

OMG, what am I thinking....

No more medications for me....

thp

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on December 06, 2007, 10:17:04 PM
Put silver wingssssss
on my cadet's chest....
and have him win the CAP BERET

This wouldn't happen to be the Green Beret Song would it?

Edit: Never mind, I see the attachment...

A.Member

Put silver wingssssss
on my cadet's chest....

Was there some kind of "Write the Worst Song Ever" contest that I'm not aware of?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

mikeylikey

Quote from: A.Member on December 06, 2007, 10:37:18 PM
Put silver wingssssss
on my cadet's chest....

Was there some kind of "Write the Worst Song Ever" contest that I'm not aware of?

Umm sorry no need to prove yourself in CAP to wear a beret.

By the way......ya lets not post anymore songs, kay?
What's up monkeys?

thp

It would be nice to have berets, other than the blue ones form NBB.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

thp

MIKE

Take it easy on the font color, text size and bold,  Mmkay?

Mike Johnston

CASH172

Quote from: thp on December 06, 2007, 10:55:46 PM
Just be cool to wear...

Unfortunately, that kind of mentality as well as 'rambo' attitudes is what caused the termination of the original NBB program in 1990.  So it isn't all good just cause it's cool and different.   

LtCol White

OH god, make it stop! I wish i was deaf! While playing this, I saw 2 birds intentionally fly straight into the brick wall.  I think we should adopt the theme from "Hogans Heroes"
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

JohnKachenmeister

I don't know what they gave the guy who wrote that...

...But they should have given him 30 years!

Hmmm...  "Ready in peace, ready in war;  Ready for what we're needed for."

I DO like that better than "More than meets the skies."

Another former CAP officer

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: thp on December 06, 2007, 10:55:46 PM
Just be cool to wear...

This is exactly why a good amount of military folk look at us like posers, idiots, etc.

Everyone wants special things to wear (*cough* berets *cough*) for no reason.  In one of your previous posts, I recall you talking about making a uniform change that would help lessen the costs to some members. 

Why would you then want to go and create a NEW uniform item, with NO meaning, just for the heck of it?

::)

BillB

John  blame the United States Air Force, they wrote it and a USAF musical group is singing it.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

thp

Sorry, meant more along the lines of it would look good. Optional of course. Doesn't the army still wear black ones?

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: thp on December 06, 2007, 11:09:04 PM
Sorry, meant more along the lines of it would look good. Optional of course. Doesn't the army still wear black ones?

Not to start bashing on you, but a couple of things here....

First, you think it would look good.  I know many who would disagree.  That's an opinion, not a fact.

Secondly, standardization.  This, again, is another reason why many Military folk cringe when they see CAP in uniform.  The majority of the time, we're NOT standardized - and you want to create another OPTIONAL uniform item... just for the heck of it?

(And yes, BTW, the Army still has the black beret.  We aren't the Army, BTW.  Only special organizations in the AIR FORCE wear berets.)

thp

Ok ok, I see your point

Thats is the end of that...

SAR-EMT1

The beret document wouldnt open on my computer. Could someone post it here please?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Grumpy

Gad, I remember switching from the white hat to the beret when I was in the AF.
If I'd wanted to wear a beret I'd been born a Frenchman.  YUK  :P

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Nomex Maximus

I only just got to play the song when I got home from work .

I LOVE IT!!!!!!! ( really ! )

I want to propose a regulation that REQUIRES that it be sung at the opening formation of EVERY cadet and composite squadron meeting!!!

(and no, I am NOT joking! (because I am in a Senior squadron)  )

Does anyone have the written words to it? Is it in some ancient CAP reg somewhere?

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

AlphaSigOU

We are the C.A.P. we're on the go.
We're always, always, always on the go.
We are ready in peace, ready in war,
Ready for what we're needed for,
The C.A.P. is on the go!

Down on the ground, up in the blue,
Set to protect the living likes of you,
From training cadets to flying patrol,
With air supremacy our goal,
We of the C.A.P. want you to know,
We're always, always, always on the go!

In this land of the free,
We'll protect our liberty,
So feel secure to know,
That the Civil Air Patrol is on the go!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jeders

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on December 07, 2007, 12:57:56 AM

I want to propose a regulation that REQUIRES that it be sung at the opening formation of EVERY cadet and composite squadron meeting!!!

Does anyone have the written words to it? Is it in some ancient CAP reg somewhere?

Ok, what are you smoking and why aren't you sharing?

That songs alright for things like encampment where people are already being tortured with monotonous marching and memorization or for out in the field where the words will be changed to something more adult. But let's leave it to those areas.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RiverAux

Okay, for the last few weeks one of the potential topics floating around in my head was "Why doesn't CAP have a song".  I'm now sorry I had that thought.

♠SARKID♠

As a former music major, 9 year musican, and a lover of band and orchestal music, I am forced to say that that is the worst march I have ever heard in my life... somebody needs to resurrect John Phillip Sousa and have him OVERHAUL that thing!

A.Member

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on December 07, 2007, 12:57:56 AM

Now we know why polls will never show 100% agreement on anything.  Ugh.

sparks

If this song is NHQ and the Air Force's answer for retention and growth we're all doomed.  It was OK in the movie and a top ten hit many many years ago but it's not what CAP needs. Maybe we can sing the song as we taxi out in our tailwheeled Maules (the next step in this progression). Of course we'd wear a beret and silk scarf.

JCW0312

Wow. That was truly awful. I wasn't going to post on the topic, but I listened to it 11 hours ago and it has been haunting my head ever since. Someone make it stop!!
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

Duke Dillio

^To make music stop, hold 9mm to head and apply slight pressure to the trigger.  Please ensure that weapon is loaded.

Gunner C

The last time I heard that song was about 1968 when I was a cadet officer.  We heard that in a cadet staff meeting.  After it ended there was nothing but crickets.   :P  We didn't know what to say.  Our squadron commander quietly put the recording away and we never heard it again.

That must have been some USAF Lt's pet project or something - NO ONE in their right mind would ever think that song would cause pride in the ranks.  (It's in my mind and it won't stop). 

[Queue music] . . . Transformers - more than meets the eyes. :D [/music]

There, that's better.  ;D

JohnKachenmeister

I still think there is ONE line that isn't bad in that song.

"Ready in peace, ready in war; ready for what we are needed for."

WAY better than "More than meets the skies" and a lot better than "Missions for America."

JCW0312

Quote from: sargrunt on December 07, 2007, 01:44:55 PM
^To make music stop, hold 9mm to head and apply slight pressure to the trigger.  Please ensure that weapon is loaded.

If I ever hear that song again, I just might...
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 07, 2007, 02:53:53 PM

WAY better than "More than meets the skies" and a lot better than "Missions for America."

Oh, come on you all. It's a song about CAP. You want better? Write a better song then.

"Ready in peace, ready in war; ready for what we are needed for." Unfortunately, in what I am seeing in some aspects of CAP that really isn't what some people want. I'd like to see CAP as an increasing emergency service organization ready to do "whatever". However, a lot of what I get seems to be that management wants us to limit ourselves to marching cadets around and finding ELTs.

Maybe we need to make MANAGEMENT listen to this song...

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

A.Member

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 07, 2007, 02:53:53 PM

I agree the words you selected above would make for a better motto or whatever you want to call it but then again so would many others ("More than Meets the Skies" is almost as bad as this song).  That's a bit off topic though (I think there's another thread for that topic already).

Since I've chimed in again, let me reiterate one more time how truly awful that song is - the quicker it disappears, the better off we will all be. :)

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: A.Member on December 07, 2007, 03:31:38 PM
. . .
Since I've chimed in again, let me reiterate one more time how truly awful that song is - the quicker it disappears, the better off we will all be. :)

It will never disappear, now that *I* have a copy... hehe... it will keep coming up... and up... and up... hehehehe....
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

jeders

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on December 07, 2007, 03:25:19 PM
Maybe we need to make MANAGEMENT listen to this song...

Yes, that's how we'll make sure that our demands are met, we'll make national listen to this song 'til they do what we want.  >:D >:D >:D
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

star1151

I'm really torn between listening to it and seeing what all the fuss is about and, well, not having what is apparently a horrific song running through my head.

jeders

If you only listen to about 10 seconds of the song you'll get the gist of it without the horrific nightmares.

Flying Pig

My fear is that my coworkers, whom Im trying to recruit, might hear me inadvertantly humming it and ask what it is. And then they'll hold me down until I sing it.

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 07, 2007, 06:26:25 PM
My fear is that my coworkers, whom Im trying to recruit, might hear me inadvertantly humming it and ask what it is. And then they'll hold me down until I sing it.

You gots some really weird coworkers there, dude.

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

JCW0312

If they just catch you humming it (no lyrics), you could say you picked it up while you were watching a documentary on cruel and unusual forms of punishment.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

Flying Pig

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on December 07, 2007, 06:57:55 PM

You gots some really weird coworkers there, dude.

Maybe its your coworkers that are weird.....and mine are really normal????

star1151

Quote from: jeders on December 07, 2007, 05:56:40 PM
If you only listen to about 10 seconds of the song you'll get the gist of it without the horrific nightmares.

Aw, crud.  I listened to five seconds and I'm scarred.

Eclipse

Quote from: star1151 on December 07, 2007, 05:48:05 PM
I'm really torn between listening to it and seeing what all the fuss is about and, well, not having what is apparently a horrific song running through my head.

The horror is REAL.

Murph played that at a unit meeting Tuesday and the !@#$% thing has been in my head since.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on December 08, 2007, 12:44:47 AM

The horror is REAL.

Murph played that at a unit meeting Tuesday and the !@#$% thing has been in my head since.

I must be the only one that doesn't have that thing stuck in his head. In fact, I barely even remember it. Must be the fact that I've got finals on my mind.

CASH172

I agree this song is horrendous to hear but has anyone researched the history of the song and where it came from?

RiverAux

I dare anyone to make it their myspace song..

Eclipse

Look!  The School Enrichment Program has an official song, too!

http://tinyurl.com/3849dg

www.cap.gov/documents/JCP_October_1_Info_letter.doc

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

I believe that the Song came from early 40's  before we became a benevolent  org.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JohnKachenmeister

"CAP Is On The Go" was composed by Josef Myrow and the lyrics were written by Capt. Robert Mills, CAP.  The song was copyrighted in 1959 and adopted as the official CAP marching song in 1960 by the National Board.  The current recording is performed by the Air Force Singing Sergeants.

Eclipse

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 08, 2007, 04:03:00 AM
"CAP Is On The Go" was composed by Josef Myrow and the lyrics were written by Capt. Robert Mills, CAP.  The song was copyrighted in 1959 and adopted as the official CAP marching song in 1960 by the National Board.  The current recording is performed by the Air Force Singing Sergeants.

And for good or bad, I have it on pretty good scuttle that the Sgt's are going to re-record soon.

"That Others May Zoom"

JCW0312

Quote from: jeders on December 08, 2007, 12:59:26 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 08, 2007, 12:44:47 AM

The horror is REAL.

I must be the only one that doesn't have that thing stuck in his head. In fact, I barely even remember it. Must be the fact that I've got finals on my mind.

Consider yourself lucky. The gods must be pleased with you! :D
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

♠SARKID♠

Wow, Myrow?  He wrote great stuff, but definitely not familiar with the traditional American march.  As for Mills, I dont know who he is, but he should have left the pen on the table.

star1151

But why would anyone continue to record it?   ???

JCW0312

^ I doubt it has been recorded in a long time. The question is - why would anyone convert it to a computer file for users worldwide to have the opportunity to hear suffer through?
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: JCW0312 on December 08, 2007, 04:25:49 PM
^ I doubt it has been recorded in a long time. The question is - why would anyone convert it to a computer file for users worldwide to have the opportunity to hear suffer through?

Why would someone do this? http://www.cheddarvision.tv/

Some questions may not be meant to be answered  :)

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

jeders

sparks

"CAP on the go" reminds me cadets having too much chili etc. or seniors consuming way too much coffee.

I guess that's why there's a link to the cheese message. I like cheese!

JCW0312

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on December 08, 2007, 05:23:15 PM

I guess everything is on the internet now. Pack it up, it's over folks... end of the line. :)
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

baronet68

If I'm ever an Encampment Commander, EVERY cadet will learn that song and the entire encampment will sing it at least once per day.  8)
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Duke Dillio

^Are we looking for a huge suicide rate during an encampment?  Before you do that, take away everyone's belts and shoe laces.

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: JCW0312 on December 08, 2007, 09:22:45 PM
Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on December 08, 2007, 05:23:15 PM

I guess everything is on the internet now. Pack it up, it's over folks... end of the line. :)

The end of the Internet is at hand: http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

JCW0312

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on December 08, 2007, 11:52:20 PM
The end of the Internet is at hand: http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm

I love it.

Quote from: sargrunt on December 08, 2007, 11:05:55 PM
^Are we looking for a huge suicide rate during an encampment?  Before you do that, take away everyone's belts and shoe laces.

Apparently NHQ knew about this song before we did. Hence the 900 regulations prohibiting firearms. I now realize that the reason was to prevent intentional self-inflicted gunshot wounds should baronet68 be in charge of an encampment!
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

SAR-EMT1

Its the song that should go.....

Why would the Singing Sgts even know about this tune?

Anyone want to risk life and limb and come up with a better alternative CAP ditty?

- I will point out that I too like the line about being ready in peace and war. Think it would be much better then the transformers tag line.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Duke Dillio

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on December 09, 2007, 06:03:06 AM
Its the song that should go.....

Why would the Singing Sgts even know about this tune?

Anyone want to risk life and limb and come up with a better alternative CAP ditty?

- I will point out that I too like the line about being ready in peace and war. Think it would be much better then the transformers tag line.

I'd write one but I only do my best music writing after consuming large amounts of unauthorized beverages so the new CAP song might be filled with profanity and what not....  Perhaps not a good idea for me to undertake this thing afterall.....  oh, and it would be in the style of grunge rock.....

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: baronet68 on December 08, 2007, 11:03:41 PM
If I'm ever an Encampment Commander, EVERY cadet will learn that song and the entire encampment will sing it at least once per day.  8)

LMAO that is WAKE UP MUSIC at the next flight academy!

JCW0312

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 10, 2007, 07:42:45 PM
Quote from: baronet68 on December 08, 2007, 11:03:41 PM

LMAO that is WAKE UP MUSIC at the next flight academy!

I was thinking more along the lines of "GET OUT" rather than "WAKE UP".
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

Nomex Maximus

Actually, the song sort of reminds me of the theme song from the movie, "Robin Hood - Men In Tights".
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

Flying Pig

Im sorry...

I had to listen.  May God forgive me.

Duke Dillio

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on December 10, 2007, 09:33:33 PM
Actually, the song sort of reminds me of the theme song from the movie, "Robin Hood - Men In Tights".

[singing] We're CAP, we're CAP in tight, tight, tights.....we go around the woods, looking for bad flights....[/singing]

BillB

The idea of making cadets learn CAP On The Go at an encampment is a great idea. I awlays looked for a punishment activity that didn't violate CPPT.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

NEBoom

Wow, I'm surprised it's that recent.  I would've guessed it was from WWII given the march tune and the cornball lyrics.  Actually if it was from WWII, I might be tolerant of it as it would (well, might) have some historical value.  Since it's not.......[toilet flushing sound]

I do have a version that's just the tune without the singing.  It's not as bad and could probably be used at encampment for Pass in Review, especially if mixed in with a bunch of other marches.  No one would probably even know it's a CAP song (better that way, you know).
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

JohnKachenmeister

What the heck, Dan...

Get one of your sharp troopers who's a "Poet and don't know it" and have them write new and updated words to the song!

After all, "On the go" used to be a pretty hip expression, but has fallen out of use.  Salvage the "Ready in peace... etc." line and come up with something meaningful to the 21st-Century troopers.

star1151

Quote from: BillB on December 11, 2007, 12:54:57 AM
The idea of making cadets learn CAP On The Go at an encampment is a great idea. I awlays looked for a punishment activity that didn't violate CPPT.

Wouldn't it fall under hazing?

BillB

Actually it wouldn't be hazing in that the National Board accepted it as an official CAP song. I asn't serious about making the cadets learn it at encampment, but it's no different than making cadets learn the cadet oath. (other than it's a long outdated song)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

pixelwonk

This song really opens the sluices at both ends.
Air supremacy is the goal?  Ha!

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: tedda on December 12, 2007, 06:40:46 AM

Please tell me you got that from Monty Python!

pixelwonk

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on December 12, 2007, 07:22:36 AM
Quote from: tedda on December 12, 2007, 06:40:46 AM
Please tell me you got that from Monty Python!
Just like an Australian Table wine.

We need an updated version of this song to reflect our contemporary values. So being the Mod of hellfire, I bring you...

The C.A.P. rocks the bling (To the tune of The C.A.P. is on the go)

We are the C.A.P. we rock the bling.
    Uniforms being the most important thing.
    Lots of badges, ribbons and cords,
    When we're sportin our blue uniforms.
    The C.A.P. is rockin the bling.

Flightsuits of Sage, Woodland BDUs,
    We protect out-accessorize the living likes of you,
    Elite cadets shave their berets,
    orange hats, shirts and scarves *keep our enemies at bay!
    In CAP, there's just one thing,
    it's always, always, always 'bout the bling!

In this land of the free,
    We wear UnderArmorâ„¢ Tees,
    So put yours on and sing,
    That the Civil Air Patrol is rockin the bling!

*significantly more family friendly than the original intended verse.

RogueLeader

Quote from: tedda on December 12, 2007, 03:40:20 PM

*significantly more family friendly than the original intended verse.

What was the original line to be?

PM in needed.

please. :)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

♠SARKID♠

Likewise. I gotta gotta know...

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328