Medal of Valor Association FB Group

Started by James Shaw, November 29, 2013, 03:20:11 PM

MSG Mac

Quote from: RiverAux on December 02, 2013, 04:37:56 AM
If they've already received the Lifesaving Award they aren't eligible for any further CAP awards for that action.  Only 1 award per incident even if the first award was not the most appropriate.

The Lifesaving Award can be rescinded and upgraded to a MofV. Just like the military can upgrade an award based on new information.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Dracosbane

Quote from: The Infamous Meerkat on December 02, 2013, 06:09:46 AM
Also, did anyone consider (understanding that not all situations are like this) that the cause for the action meriting an SMV might exist because CAP officers and members didn't use proper ORM and safety standards? 

8) Devil's advocate, right here.   :-X

Perhaps the person or persons awarded those medals understood fully the risk, used proper ORM and safety standards, and then tossed them the  :-X out the window because all the paper in the world won't save lives when action is required.

Flying Pig

I think the SMoV and BMoV are for instances where the end justifies the means.  But what about when CPPT comes into play.  Interesting thought though when a Senior AND a cadet earn them together.  The cadet should get the medal and the Senior should get a reprimand  >:D (kidding)

RiverAux

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 02, 2013, 07:12:56 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 02, 2013, 04:37:56 AM
If they've already received the Lifesaving Award they aren't eligible for any further CAP awards for that action.  Only 1 award per incident even if the first award was not the most appropriate.

The Lifesaving Award can be rescinded and upgraded to a MofV. Just like the military can upgrade an award based on new information.

Cite please (for CAP).

Johnny Yuma

While I don't expect atta boys for doing the right thing, I can say how NHQ has awarded decorations does make me scratch my head.

A mission pilot on a organ transport dog-legged around a thunderstorm got a BMOV back in the early 80's.

A cadet a few years back saw that his neighbor's house was on fire and helped get all 4 occupants out to safety. He was put in for a SMOV with written endorsements from several public safety agencies on-scene and NHQ awarded a single Lifesaving Award.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Eclipse

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on December 02, 2013, 02:37:20 PM
A cadet a few years back saw that his neighbor's house was on fire and helped get all 4 occupants out to safety. He was put in for a SMOV with written endorsements from several public safety agencies on-scene and NHQ awarded a single Lifesaving Award.

If it's the incident discussed here, an LA was likely appropriate.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on December 02, 2013, 03:00:54 PM
Quote from: Johnny Yuma on December 02, 2013, 02:37:20 PM

If it's the incident discussed here, an LA was likely appropriate.

I concur.

Burning house is a good example. My first I had to kick in the door and crawl thru to search for a couple and a young infant. The next time it was the roof burning and knocked on the door and told them, "you got a problem and should evacuate!" Both SMV worthy? Well not exactly.  8)

Woodsy

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 02, 2013, 04:18:06 AM
Quote from: Woodsy on December 01, 2013, 08:24:11 PM
I fear the Valor Medals (both Bronze and Silver) have become such a scarcity that members deserving of them aren't even put in for it, but awarded a lower-level (lifesaving) award instead.

For example, I am personally aware of an incident that happened last year in which 2 uniformed CAP members during an official CAP event observed and intervened in an incident in which the victim would have likely died without action.  The incident involved extremely dangerous environmental conditions, such as a commercial vehicle still on and in gear, structural damage to a hangar, an aircraft inside damaged and actively leaking fuel...  Yet these members, knowing the danger, entered, busted out windows, and extracted the driver to safety. 

The city where it happened held a ceremony to honor them for their heroism, yet all they got from CAP was a lifesaving award.  They were not even put in for a Medal of Valor.  In my opinion, their actions met the criteria for at least a Bronze, and likely a Silver Medal of Valor.  But no attempt was made- they "settled" for a lifesaving award.

If you know of it, why don't you recommend them for the appropriate Medal of Valor? It only takes a few minutes and anyone with knowledge of the act can do it. Speak to your Wing DP about upgrading the award because of the danger element, which may not have been stressed in the original F120.

I tried.  The original F120 read well enough.  In fact, the reason I thought it deserved a MV's was because of comparing it to several citations for awarded MV's. 

Dracosbane

I'll just leave this right here.  Announcement made Dec 6th.

Good afternoon!

I am pleased to announce that I have just been notified by NHQ that Capt Ronald Reid of the Shelbyville Composite Squadron, GLR-IN-184, has been awarded the Bronze Medal of Valor for rescuing a man from a rapidly advancing brush fire on 10 November 2010. His actions that day truly reflect the Air Force Core Value of "Service Before Self", and I am honored to have him as a member of our team.

Once details for the presentation have become final, I will forward them to the wing. Until then, please join me in congratulating Capt Reid on this award.

s/v

Matthew R. Creed, Colonel, CAP
Commander
Indiana Wing, Civil Air Patrol

Papabird

Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

James Shaw

Quote from: Dracosbane on December 13, 2013, 06:55:38 PM

Good afternoon!

I am pleased to announce that I have just been notified by NHQ that Capt Ronald Reid of the Shelbyville Composite Squadron, GLR-IN-184, has been awarded the Bronze Medal of Valor for rescuing a man from a rapidly advancing brush fire on 10 November 2010. His actions that day truly reflect the Air Force Core Value of "Service Before Self", and I am honored to have him as a member of our team.

Once details for the presentation have become final, I will forward them to the wing. Until then, please join me in congratulating Capt Reid on this award.

s/v

Commander

Thank you Colonel Creed for sharing this with us. Congratulations Capt Reid on being recognized for your actions.

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

James Shaw

Capt Ron Reid being presented the Civil Air Patrol Bronze Medal of Valor by : General Richard Myers, USAF (Ret.)
Jim Shaw

James Shaw

Quote from: BHartman007 on November 29, 2013, 10:30:48 PM
Quote from: BHartman007 on November 29, 2013, 10:28:02 PM
Wow. I just searched for SMV recipients, and found a knowledgebase article mentioning one being awarded to a member of my squadron a couple of years ago for pulling someone out of a burning vehicle.

Of course, I just looked him up in eservices and the award isn't listed.

The SMV and BMV and not listed in eservices.
Jim Shaw

James Shaw

Quote from: Dracosbane on December 02, 2013, 08:01:28 AM
Quote from: The Infamous Meerkat on December 02, 2013, 06:09:46 AM
Also, did anyone consider (understanding that not all situations are like this) that the cause for the action meriting an SMV might exist because CAP officers and members didn't use proper ORM and safety standards? 

8) Devil's advocate, right here.   :-X

Perhaps the person or persons awarded those medals understood fully the risk, used proper ORM and safety standards, and then tossed them the  :-X out the window because all the paper in the world won't save lives when action is required.

Need to update the ribbon rack now Capt Reid  ;D
Jim Shaw

Dracosbane

That's in the works.    :D

Edit:  Ahem.

Panache

Private Investigator

Quote from: Dracosbane on December 13, 2013, 06:55:38 PM

Good afternoon!

s/v

Commander

I misread due to new trifocals. Reid = Creed I thought you gave yourself a BMV.

Anywho, congratulations on a job well done   :clap:

Dracosbane

No, I'm not following in HWSRN's footsteps.

>:D

James Shaw

The Facebook Page is now up to 18 recipients.

If you are a recipient of the

SMV
BMV
Lifesave w/Star

Go to FB and search for Medal of Valor Association.
Jim Shaw

NorCal21

Quote from: SarDragon on November 29, 2013, 08:36:10 PM
Quote from: a2capt on November 29, 2013, 07:21:06 PM
6 years, signed and dated back then? I'd send it up anyway. ;)
The stories we hear .. that wouldn't be too far out of the spectrum.

Non-starter. There's a two year limit on time, and it is rigidly enforced. We had someone get "black holed" when I first came to the wing, and the resubmission got kicked back.

Yeah I have noticed that the 2-year time limit seems to be rigidly enforced. About the only thing in CAP huh? I have a lifesaving medal I should have been awarded in 1990. The paperwork was submitted to FLWG, and a story commemorating the whole thing was posted in the FLWG newsletter which can still be accessed today but nothing ever came of it. Sad. Not that I don't get to wear another ribbon, but that a person's valor is only good for two years. Good thing AD military doesn't view it that way. A valorous act should be recognized regardless of when the act occurred.