Main Menu

CAP tattoos

Started by Cool Mace, April 25, 2012, 07:07:12 PM

Dad2-4

My personal views are thus:
If you want a tattoo, it's your body but...
I'm against it due to my religious beliefs.
I'm against it because I think they look ......unattractive.
I'm against it due to the potential medical problems.
I'm against it because of the social and/or professional difficulties they may sometimes create.
When you're 80+ years old and all wrinkled, your grand kids are gonna see it and say something like, "Eeeeew, Grandpa! What's that black stuff on your skin?!"

(Now let's see how much flaming I get from this professional forum.)

manfredvonrichthofen

You shouldn't get any flaming for your beliefs, besides, those are all things anyone getting a tattoo should think about before hand. I thought hard about the effects of a professional image in the workplace, but I knew I wanted to be career Army so it was a non issue for me. Now that I am out, I still don't worry about it much because I know that my experience should be able to overshadow my tattoos... I hope

Pylon

Quote from: Dad2-4 on May 01, 2012, 09:12:16 AM

Those are fully valid points.  I would hope most people at least take those factors into consideration when deciding whether or not to get a tattoo.  While I plan on getting some ink once some particular near-term Marine Corps obligations that discourage tattoos are over, I have at least weighed the factors you mentioned in my decision process.  So I can respect your position; no flaming necessary.  To each his own.  They're certainly not for everybody.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

My personal views are thus:
If you want a tattoo, it's your body but...
I'm against it due to my religious beliefs.

Fair enough. To each his own.

I'm against it because I think they look ......unattractive.

Again, to each his own.

I'm against it due to the potential medical problems.

No higher than getting an ear piercing or cleaning out the attic (actually lower).

I'm against it because of the social and/or professional difficulties they may sometimes create.

It may. Then again if I spent 4 years in college to have to end up working shirtless...

When you're 80+ years old and all wrinkled, your grand kids are gonna see it and say something like, "Eeeeew, Grandpa! What's that black stuff on your skin?!"

Mine will be faded colors. :)

Don't see why you would be flamed. You did state these were your own views.

manfredvonrichthofen

The risk is greater than a piercing, ifthe piercing gets infected, no biggie, take it out get some antibiotics and let it heal then Try again, if you are allergic to the earring, take it out and replace it with a metal your not allergic to.

If a tattoo gets infected, it will always look bad. If you are allergic to the ink though... You are up a creek, the skin will have to be cut away and it will take a long time to heal. If it is a circumferential tattoo covering enough skin surface on the arm or leg, you just might loose that arm or leg.

MUCH BIGGER RISK!

Private Investigator

Is their an unofficial "CAP Talk" tattoo? I would think it would have something to symbolize the 'uniform thread' protocol we have in place here    :o

Cool Mace

Hmm... There's some possibilities there.  ;)
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Nathan

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 01, 2012, 08:09:32 PM
The risk is greater than a piercing, ifthe piercing gets infected, no biggie, take it out get some antibiotics and let it heal then Try again, if you are allergic to the earring, take it out and replace it with a metal your not allergic to.

If a tattoo gets infected, it will always look bad. If you are allergic to the ink though... You are up a creek, the skin will have to be cut away and it will take a long time to heal. If it is a circumferential tattoo covering enough skin surface on the arm or leg, you just might loose that arm or leg.

MUCH BIGGER RISK!

If you go to a reputable tattoo parlor, then your risk of any of this happening are pretty low. Tattoo artists actually have to go through a good deal of training and get a certification to work, and they find that business tends to be better when their clients don't end up deformed and amputated. There are always risks in everything you do, but like any professional, most of these places are aware of the risks and take great strides to reduce them as much as possible.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Nathan on May 03, 2012, 01:38:32 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 01, 2012, 08:09:32 PM

MUCH BIGGER RISK!

If you go to a reputable tattoo parlor, then your risk of any of this happening are pretty low. Tattoo artists actually have to go through a good deal of training and get a certification to work, and they find that business tends to be better when their clients don't end up deformed and amputated. There are always risks in everything you do, but like any professional, most of these places are aware of the risks and take great strides to reduce them as much as possible.

Our state has some good requirements.  A proper tattoo shop is cleaner than my home.

tsrup

Quote from: Private Investigator on May 03, 2012, 08:47:09 AM
Is their an unofficial "CAP Talk" tattoo? I would think it would have something to symbolize the 'uniform thread' protocol we have in place here    :o

If there had to be a unifying symbol of CapTalk, it would be the "Death to the Triangle Thingy" logo.

Kind of has that "Death from above" ring to it right?...

right?....
Paramedic
hang-around.

Майор Хаткевич

I know, a bit of a bump, but I just realized what will stay with me forever from CAP: My Award numbers.

It could be simple, just "XXXX Award ####", or it could be a graphic, with a good artist maybe even the nice ones that are on the certificates:

http://capmembers.com/media/cms/MITCHELL_FACT_SHEET_99C5E7C77646B.pdf
http://capmembers.com/media/cms/EARHART_FACT_SHEET_4356C575EFAAC.pdf

SarDragon

But what about us olde folks what's got no numbers?   ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

I would just go with a couple of qual badges or something of the sort, or maybe patches. From the Army I have my CIB AASLT Wings 506 INF crest and 101st patch. We had one guy get his social and pretty much his dog tag info on his ribs and it looked pretty bad after a year, numbers and lettering when they are small tend to get fuzzy and mushy rather quickly.

I have thought of getting some dates that are really significant to me on my chest (dates that buddies have died in combat) but every time I think I am ready to do it, the fuzzy blur of that guys tattoo on his ribs comes back. And it's not that he went to a bad tattoo artist, he went to the same guy I go to. And even the artist told him it would likely blur. And the more active you are the faster it will blur.

Nathan

Quote from: SarDragon on May 08, 2012, 08:40:31 PM
But what about us olde folks what's got no numbers?   ;)

Then you already have your tattoo.
Nathan Scalia

Grumpy

Quote from: Cool Mace on April 25, 2012, 07:07:12 PM
I was talking with a fellow member the other day about tattoos. And he mentioned he saw a picture of a CAP tattoo.
So that got me wondering if anyone here has a CAP tattoo?

A few of my AD buddies said that would be a "boy scout" tattoo, and dumb. But to me the point of a tattoo is something that means something to the person getting it.

So, anyone out there have any?

Tattoos are great and they really look good on you when you're a retired Grandparent say around 70 -75 years old.   :P

Nathan

Quote from: Grumpy on May 08, 2012, 09:13:09 PM

Tattoos are great and they really look good on you when you're a retired Grandparent say around 70 -75 years old.   :P

Depending on the quality of the tattoo, then they actually can turn out looking just fine. Our squadron does meetings as the American Legion, and a lot of the vets have military tattoos. They don't look weird at all.
Nathan Scalia

PHall

Quote from: Nathan on May 08, 2012, 09:15:36 PM
Quote from: Grumpy on May 08, 2012, 09:13:09 PM

Depending on the quality of the tattoo, then they actually can turn out looking just fine. Our squadron does meetings as the American Legion, and a lot of the vets have military tattoos. They don't look weird at all.

Nathan, it's not the quality of the tattoo when you're 75, it's the quality of your skin.
Nature is not on your side here and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it either.

manfredvonrichthofen

Nope... There isn't much you can do about it... But by that time I'll probably be so far gone I will be surprised every time I look at them like... OH NO WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY ARM HOW DID THAT GET THERE WHAT IS IT?!?!

Grumpy

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 08, 2012, 11:17:04 PM
Nope... There isn't much you can do about it... But by that time I'll probably be so far gone I will be surprised every time I look at them like... OH NO WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY ARM HOW DID THAT GET THERE WHAT IS IT?!?!

Yee gad, now you do have worried.  That 70 mark is just around the corner and I think I'm still here mentally, or at least hope I am.  😒

SarDragon

Geez, Grump, are you really that olde?   ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret