Main Menu

CAP tattoos

Started by Cool Mace, April 25, 2012, 07:07:12 PM

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: titanII on April 27, 2012, 12:20:54 AM
Quote from: Littleguy on April 26, 2012, 09:29:13 PM
I prefer more subdued colors (not like subdued patches, but darker blues, reds, silvers, whatnot)
If/when I get a tattoo, it's gonna be all black. I've heard (and seen on several relative's tat's) that colors can fade with time. Not that it'll matter by the time I'm all wrinkly, though  >:D
I can't remember the name of the ink, but my tattoo artist uses a black ink that he says is pretty much like the India ink of tattoo inks. It is really deep, and it is still able to fade in and out really well. I love how deep it looks, and all of my tattoos are done in it. I am even having a heck of a time using wrecking balm on a couple that I am trying to fade so that they will cover easily, and the ink just wants to stay.  So make sure you really want it, because it is the permanent of permanent modification.

The oldest tattoo I have is about nine years old, and I don't notice any change in depth of color or fading, or spreading.

NIN

Not all that bad, but not my personal taste. I prefer more subdued colors (not like subdued patches, but darker blues, reds, silvers, whatnot)

Considering the CAP WWII wings were not "more subdued"....
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

AngelWings

Quote from: NIN on April 27, 2012, 01:58:25 AM
Not all that bad, but not my personal taste. I prefer more subdued colors (not like subdued patches, but darker blues, reds, silvers, whatnot)

Considering the CAP WWII wings were not "more subdued"....
I wasn't trying to offend you or make any negative remarks against the tattoo.

Майор Хаткевич

Comparing the patch and the tattoo, the artist did a good job on the details!

NIN

Quote from: Littleguy on April 27, 2012, 02:04:38 AM
I wasn't trying to offend you or make any negative remarks against the tattoo.

Not taken that way, just sayin'

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

RRLE

For the sake of curiosity, does CAP have a policy on tattoos, body piercings etc.

The armed services have gone back and forth in recent years over the placement of tattoos, especially on recruits. Existing members tend to be grandfathered in, unless the tats are racists, sexist etc.

From general reading, it appears that the services will not accept a member if the tat is visible outside regulation t-shirts or shorts. Big no-nos are tats on the hands, face and neck. Lower legs and lower arms tend to be out since they are also visible.

So what is CAP's policy, if any, before anyone gets inked.

manfredvonrichthofen

Nothing that shows above the collar while in uniform, and no more than 30% of the skin surface on the arms while wearing short sleeves or rolled up sleeves. That is the easiest explanation for the reg.

If you have more than that, it is corporate uniforms.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: johnnyb47 on April 26, 2012, 05:44:48 PM
Incidentally I think the quote above was used a little out of context. Kunstler was saying, "I'm not a fan of tattos but I think our society is generally 'borked' when you start seeing tattoo parlours crop up on mainstreet in the nice part of town!"
Basically a slightly more eloquent way of saying, "Not in my back yard!"

The reason I finally went in for a tattoo was because the business opened on the plaza closest to where my parents live. Another city denied a permit to the owners (a husband and wife), and our city allowed them in.

Their place was clean, they were nice, and the "crowd" that was there all the time was nowhere near the quoted types. If I decide to go in for another one, I'll be going to them, because I really liked how friendly they were.

manfredvonrichthofen

It's the same way in my tattoo parlor (the one I go to). They are really cool people and they do great work! It's just too bad I have to take a weekend to go to Clarksville Tennessee to get one, so I haven't gotten one since 2008, and I am itching for a new one, my wife is too. That would have to be the downside to tattoos, they can be addictive.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 27, 2012, 12:35:08 PM
It's the same way in my tattoo parlor (the one I go to). They are really cool people and they do great work! It's just too bad I have to take a weekend to go to Clarksville Tennessee to get one, so I haven't gotten one since 2008, and I am itching for a new one, my wife is too. That would have to be the downside to tattoos, they can be addictive.

In the end mine came out to $220, so I think the cost is also a "stop" for many.

I know a guy who had an upper arm sleeve done, and it cost him well over $800. Took 5 or 6 sessions to get done.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 27, 2012, 12:39:08 PM

In the end mine came out to $220, so I think the cost is also a "stop" for many.

I know a guy who had an upper arm sleeve done, and it cost him well over $800. Took 5 or 6 sessions to get done.

My left sleeve cost about 1000, and took one session, about seven or eight hours. It was almost a deal breaker for me... Almost. But I knew the guy could do it better than anyone, and I wouldn't have the chance for a long time to get another so I went for it, really glad I did too.

fyrfitrmedic

I have one that's related to my CAP activities, and one related to my fire and EMS activities. The CAP-related one will be embellished slightly should I accomplish some of my goals, and there may be another fire/EMS work done at some point.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

PHall

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 27, 2012, 12:42:13 PM

My left sleeve cost about 1000, and took one session, about seven or eight hours. It was almost a deal breaker for me... Almost. But I knew the guy could do it better than anyone, and I wouldn't have the chance for a long time to get another so I went for it, really glad I did too.

You have a sleeve tattoo? Do you wear the AF style uniforms? Maybe a quick review of CAPM 39-1, Table 2-5, Item 7 is in order.

manfredvonrichthofen

I have read the 39-1, and the AFAM, I'm good so long as I only wear long sleeves.

AngelWings

Quote from: PHall on April 28, 2012, 04:15:15 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 27, 2012, 12:42:13 PM

You have a sleeve tattoo? Do you wear the AF style uniforms? Maybe a quick review of CAPM 39-1, Table 2-5, Item 7 is in order.
As long as it doesn't cover more than 25% of his exposed limb it is good.

manfredvonrichthofen

We're I to roll my sleeves up, I would cover about 100% of my left arm, and about 50% of my right arm. But I only wear my sleeves down in BDUs, and I only wear long sleeve blues, pretty much only the service jacket. I think it's a bit silly to only wear the long sleeves without the jacket

Майор Хаткевич

Yea, that's part of the reason the guy I know did the upper arm only. :P

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 29, 2012, 02:10:00 AM
Yea, that's part of the reason the guy I know did the upper arm only. :P
When I got mine, I was in the Army, and I still don't regret it. But the Army was really laced on tattoos, so laced they were taking soldiers with tattoos on the neck, so long as they didn't go above the jaw or anywhere on the skull, and down to the first knuckles. I was still able to wear the short sleeved class Bs, but we only wore our class As anyways.

In the infantry there is no rolling up your sleeves past one cuff, so it was never an issue anyways.

Private Investigator

Jamie Hurley

I've often thought about getting my drill team insignia tattooed. It was a major part of my CAP days, and essential in my development into who I am today. Never have gone through with it, but its as good a justification as any in my opinion.
National Drill Team Champion 2006 & 2008
Spaatz 1644