Report: Confirmed...Osama Bin Laden Dead!

Started by A.Member, May 02, 2011, 02:47:52 AM

A.Member

Updated per press conference:
Killed during a targeted U.S. special operations (JSOC) raid today in Abottabad, Pakistan (about 150 miles North of Islamabad).

We got the S.O.B.!

To all the men and women that made this possible:
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

Wow - the web just lit up on this pretty hard.  They timed that pretty well for the 10-o'clock news in the fly-over's!

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

LOL, no kidding. WhenI first saw this, I searched and nada.

Now, it's exploded.

If someone has a DVR and can record the press conference and dump it to DVD afterwards.. I'd be thankful.

Then I can put it as a capstone on my collection of 9-11 captures.  I don't have anything plugged in at the moment. :(

caphornbuckle

Quote from: Eclipse on May 02, 2011, 02:55:20 AM
Wow - the web just lit up on this pretty hard.  They times that pretty well for the 10-o'clock news in the fly-over's!

Not to include the 5 text messages, 3 e-mails, CAPTalk, Facebook, and a phone call all within10 minutes telling me.  News travels extremely fast now a days!

A.Member...with everyone letting me know, congrats on being the first one!
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

davidsinn

It's too bad we couldn't take him alive. I would've like to see him swinging from a rope and then have his head on a pike on the south lawn as a warning like the Romans... >:D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Major Lord

Quote from: Stonewall on May 02, 2011, 03:14:11 AM
Can I go home now?

Sorry, you need to dust Kaddafi first, but then its cool...... Unless we add another front to our five current non-wars.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

JayT

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

EmergencyManager6

Do you really think that by killing him we are done in the sandbox?  All this is going to do is piss off the bad guys even more.
Force protection went to Bravo at all Military facilities.
Damit....i gotta go to work now...

A.Member

Quote from: davidsinn on May 02, 2011, 03:08:46 AM
It's too bad we couldn't take him alive. I would've like to see him swinging from a rope and then have his head on a pike on the south lawn as a warning like the Romans... >:D
Yeah, but we do have his body.  Which means we could do a Pershing... ;) :D

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: A.Member on May 02, 2011, 02:47:52 AM
Killed a week ago by bomb/missile...details still coming in.

We got the S.O.B.!

To all the men and women that made this possible:

We that's great BUT seriously just like street gangs & drug cartels, there's always someone ready to take their place.   Terrorism is winning because we are having to divert our limited resources into these hunts and the requirements to come up with various protective methods/equipment anywhere Americans are at, including right here on US soil  :-\ :(

Subsequent events will tell what the overall implications this will have.
RM

EmergencyManager6

"The bee hive has officially been kicked."

davidsinn

Quote from: EmergencyManager6 on May 02, 2011, 03:35:08 AM
"The bee hive has officially been kicked."

You making a guess or do you know something? Obviously you shouldn't share what you know if you indeed know something.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

Wow.

That closing just sent shivers up my spine. Talk about awakening. I swear, I've never seen that much patriotism from Obama. He was channelling Bush tonight.

Well done.

Now if I can find a copy on video somehow in the next few days..

Senior

The terrorist is now a martyr.  That is a big deal to them.  No one really ever wins in war.
Thanks to those who were part of the takedown. :clap:

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: a2capt on May 02, 2011, 03:50:32 AM
Wow.

That closing just sent shivers up my spine. Talk about awakening. I swear, I've never seen that much patriotism from Obama. He was channelling Bush tonight.

Well done.

Now if I can find a copy on video somehow in the next few days..

It's probably already on youtuve.

Also, Obama has plenty of patriotic and jingo messages out. They all do.

manfredvonrichthofen

Here is the sad part that no one is thinking of.

By killing BinLaden what we have done is making another martyr for their purpose, the highest sort of martyr that there could possibly be, THE leader has given HIS OWN life for the cause. Now someone else will take his place and this will give Alqaeda more to fight for, and a stronger resolve. I would have preferred him taken alive and to lay in a prison hospital on life support until he dies of extreme old age behind bars so he is not a martyr. But... I'll take what I can get  >:D. Congrats to that small group that was allowed to take care of business. But for the news to repeatedly state that spec ops are the only ones that coud possibly have done this is sickening! They are obviously forgetting about every soldier that this country has, Army Infantry and Marine Infantry could have taken care of this no problem.

Eclipse

Kind of interesting to watch as the Wiki article evolves, including the discussions about relevance, importantance, etc., from an academic and policy perspective.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Senior on May 02, 2011, 03:58:25 AM
The terrorist is now a martyr.  That is a big deal to them...
Here's to Bin Laden now finding out that those 72 virgins are all dudes.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: A.Member on May 02, 2011, 04:09:44 AM
Nonono that is spelled Virginians... no one seems to catch that.

Senior

A.Member

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 02, 2011, 04:07:26 AM
...But for the news to repeatedly state that spec ops are the only ones that coud possibly have done this is sickening! They are obviously forgetting about every soldier that this country has, Army Infantry and Marine Infantry could have taken care of this no problem.
Media is media...take it with a grain of salt.  That said, keep in mind this raid took place deep into Pakistan - and only about 150 miles from that nations capital.  This makes that operation very sensitive for a number of reasons.  As such, this really was a spec ops only type of mission.   However, to the point that all contribute to such a mission's success is not lost.

cap235629

nope they are all nuns....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

caphornbuckle

Quote from: cap235629 on May 02, 2011, 04:15:52 AM

nope they are all nuns....

Not where he's going in my opinion!

A.Member

Quote from: Stonewall on May 02, 2011, 03:14:11 AM
Can I go home now?
President Bush stated it well in his remarks:
"The fight against terror goes on, but tonight America has sent an unmistakable message: No matter how long it takes, justice will be done."

Stay safe and Godspeed.

disamuel

I'm proud to be an American.

Just like yesterday.

Dad2-4

Unfortunately someone who is NOT responsible will get the credit.
+1000 to the folks on the ground who really made it possible!  :clap:

cap235629

Think Bin Laden was a wee bit ticked off when he saw that his 72 virgins were dressed like penguins and carrying rulers??????
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

cap235629

"You can kill a man but you can't kill an idea". The world is a better place without Osama Bin Laden. It would be great if his ideas died too. --- This was posted by an old friend who could not be further apart from me politically, but on this we agree
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

NIN

Quote from: A.Member on May 02, 2011, 03:31:19 AM

Thats my point.  A page from Pershing's playbook right about now.

Couple things:

a) The book & movie deal will be concluded before Labor Day. It might be a few years, but you'll get a Dalton Fury-style book, a Ridley Scott directed movie, and scores of poseurs in gin joints all around the world saying "Yeah, I pulled the trigger on Osama.."

b) Squadron Commanders: "The guy who pulled the trigger on Bin Laden is not likely to join your CAP squadron. Trust me. If a guy shows up on your squadron's doorstep claiming to be the shooter, the chances of him being legit are smaller than the chances you'll be struck by lightning. Really."

c) So I guess Osama shouldn't have used his home address when he signed up for Playstation Network and had his info compromised along with 70 million others... :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Major Lord

The idea that we have accomplished nothing by killing Usama other than making the Tangos cranky is preposterous. First, its justice. Second, we broke a link to Saudi Wahabi funding, and third, his death is a symbolic victory; Shah mat (Check Mate!) Yes, we will probably see a bunch of pissed of carpet pilots strapping up with Semtex, but they would have to be dealt with sooner or later anyway. Todd Beemer, sleep easy brother.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

PHall

President Bush said in Sept 2001 that we would not rest until we got OBL.
And we did, no matter if it took 10 years, we did get him.
This is the kind of stuff they pay attention to in that part of the world.
If you say you're going to do something, you do it. Or you won't have any credibility.
And creditability or "face" is very important when dealing with the great huddled masses of the Third World.

SARDOC

Quote from: NIN on May 02, 2011, 05:02:47 AM
c) So I guess Osama shouldn't have used his home address when he signed up for Playstation Network and had his info compromised along with 70 million others... :)

Hahaha....thats funny...I'm totally stealing this

caphornbuckle

Quote from: SARDOC on May 02, 2011, 05:20:21 AM
Quote from: NIN on May 02, 2011, 05:02:47 AM

Hahaha....thats funny...I'm totally stealing this

Me too!

SarDragon

Quote from: cap235629 on May 02, 2011, 04:15:52 AMnope they are all nuns....

Quote from: cap235629 on May 02, 2011, 04:47:31 AM
Think Bin Laden was a wee bit ticked off when he saw that his 72 virgins were dressed like penguins and carrying rulers? ??? ??

The resident recovering Catholic has confirmed my theory that virginity is not required to become a nun. Only abstinence after becoming a novice is required.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Reno

Andrew Reno, FO, CAP
Professional Development Officer
120th Composite Squadron, ARWG

cap235629

Quote from: SarDragon on May 02, 2011, 05:35:59 AM

Think Bin Laden was a wee bit ticked off when he saw that his 72 virgins were dressed like penguins and carrying rulers? ??? ??

The resident recovering Catholic has confirmed my theory that virginity is not required to become a nun. Only abstinence after becoming a novice is required.

But most are in fact virgins and it was a joke!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

PHall

Quote from: cap235629 on May 02, 2011, 05:38:49 AM

A joke that is quite possibly offensive to many Catholics. >:(

Major Carrales

Quote from: PHall on May 02, 2011, 06:18:46 AM

As a Roman Catholic, it got my attention.  But I dismissed it for what it might have been...the result of elation/emotional outpouring at the Death of a true dastardly individual.  I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

The CyBorg is destroyed

One day down and eternity to go in the deepest pits of Hell for the rotten SOB.

Nothing will be enough for him to have paid for the blood of the innocents on 9/11 and of the U.S., NATO and British Commonwealth troops who gave their blood hunting him down.

But, as another poster said, I wish his ideas died with him.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

A.Member

Further reports credit U.S. Navy SEALS (NSWDG/DEVGRU) and CIA operatives for carrying out the mission. 

♠SARKID♠

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: A.Member on May 02, 2011, 06:43:07 AM
Further reports credit U.S. Navy SEALS (NSWDG/DEVGRU) and CIA operatives for carrying out the mission.

Of course nothing is ever for sure, but I know some SEALs that were deploying a month or two ago.

Also from the web:

jeders

Apparently WE buried him at sea. I'm sorry, but that just pisses me off.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

tarheel gumby

I thought of the Robin Williams line saying that it's not 72 Virgins but 72 Virginians. Won't that a be a real shock for him. >:D
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

ol'fido

YES, we made a martyr out of OBL. GOOD!! Our military stand ready to provide the same service to anybody that attacks the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

tarheel gumby

US Navy/ Marine Corps helping morons become martyrs since 1775
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Major Lord

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on May 02, 2011, 07:23:04 AM
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

"Take not counsel of your fears", Stonewall Jackson

Major Lord

A.Member

Quote from: jeders on May 02, 2011, 01:16:53 PM

Actually, it's rather brilliant.  It removes any opportunity for a shrine or memorial site.

davidsinn

Quote from: A.Member on May 02, 2011, 02:06:36 PM

Actually, it's rather brilliant.  It removes any opportunity for a shrine or memorial site.

Should have buried him in an unmarked grave with the carcass of a wild boar.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MIKE

Quote from: NIN on May 02, 2011, 05:02:47 AMc) So I guess Osama shouldn't have used his home address when he signed up for Playstation Network and had his info compromised along with 70 million others... :)

I loled when I saw this posted on the SOCOM4 boards last night.
Mike Johnston

SARDOC

I agree...very Brilliant

MSG Mac

Quote from: SARDOC on May 02, 2011, 03:03:19 PM

I agree...very Brilliant

Of course the Indian Ocean is full of sharks? I wonder  was he dead before they buried him at sea?
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

bosshawk

According to CNN, he was shot in the head.  He was then buried frm the USS Carl Vinson somewhere in the Indian Ocean.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: bosshawk on May 02, 2011, 04:38:51 PM
According to CNN, he was shot in the head.  He was then buried frm the USS Carl Vinson somewhere in the Indian Ocean.

Fish food.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

BillB

I hear that bin Laden was a former CAP Cadet
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

jks19714

Quote from: CyBorg on May 02, 2011, 04:46:14 PM
Quote from: bosshawk on May 02, 2011, 04:38:51 PM

Fish food.

Hopefully they ran him through the ship's trash grinder behind the remains of the Easter ham dinner.  >:D
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^IF the sharks didn't spit the corpse out and say "blech!"
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cap235629

Quote from: Major Carrales on May 02, 2011, 06:33:48 AM
Quote from: PHall on May 02, 2011, 06:18:46 AM

As a Roman Catholic, it got my attention.  But I dismissed it for what it might have been...the result of elation/emotional outpouring at the Death of a true dastardly individual.  I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

For the record, I am a thick headed old school Irish-Catholic and this joke was paraphrased from a poster that hangs in the members lounge of Knights of Columbus Council 996.

Vivat Jesus!!!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Eclipse

Any idea what kind of helicopter this is?

I have to imagine it was somewhat "exciting" on the way down.

More pics of the general area here: http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/05/02/6569239-osama-bin-ladens-hideout-revealed

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: Eclipse on May 02, 2011, 05:34:27 PM

Looks like the tail end of a Blackhawk, possibly an MH-60 type.  Not 100% sure though.  I read that MH-47s and MH-60s were involved but those were unconfirmed.  Makes sense though, as the 160th SOAR would normally be involved in something like this.  But that's just a guess.
Serving since 1987.

manfredvonrichthofen

Looks to me like the tail boom of a Blackhawk.

cap235629

Fox just scrolled that an MH-60 was disabled during the raid and was destroyed by the SEALS during the withdrawal.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

James Shaw

Quote from: BillB on May 02, 2011, 04:46:42 PM

That is just wrong Bill. wrong wrong wrong
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Eclipse

Quote from: caphistorian on May 02, 2011, 05:53:10 PM
Quote from: BillB on May 02, 2011, 04:46:42 PM

That is just wrong Bill. wrong wrong wrong

I don't honestly see how that is even funny...

"That Others May Zoom"

James Shaw

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

ElectricPenguin

No we dont, it's in the ocean now.

ol'fido

Quote from: cap235629 on May 02, 2011, 05:52:33 PM
Fox just scrolled that an MH-60 was disabled during the raid and was destroyed by the SEALS during the withdrawal.
When I heard that it was disabled and then destroyed on the exfil, I thought they might have taken a page out of the Son tay raid and made a controlled crash into the compound. Then Fox news reported that the operators rapelled(more likely fast-roped) into the compound. They may have had a turbine failure in the hover doing this and just dropped straight down.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

A.Member

I had a friend that flew in one all the time.  That is the dreaded DH-BAMF.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: A.Member on May 02, 2011, 07:26:12 PM
DH-151 PA-594-BAMF-2 AKA DH-BAMF is a flight helmet. Other than that I don't know what you are referring too other than B.A.M.F. as in the exploitive acronym.

A.Member

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 02, 2011, 07:59:04 PM
Quote from: A.Member on May 02, 2011, 07:26:12 PM
DH-151 PA-594-BAMF-2 AKA DH-BAMF is a flight helmet. Other than that I don't know what you are referring too other than B.A.M.F. as in the exploitive acronym.
Go with your gut on this one. ;)

Hawk200

Any idea what kind of helicopter this is?...
It's a BlackHawk airframe, most likely the Pave Hawk, although there are a few MH-60s in the Army Spec Ops inventory (so it could be an Army or an Air Force bird, I'd have to see if it had a nose boom to be sure). I've seen a similar angle enough doing preflights and PMDs on them.

HGjunkie

This has been filling up my news feed on facebook, and the main topic of conversation at school.  :clap: to the people who made this possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw0AXjAaf3g&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_483154
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Hawk200

Quote from: HGjunkie on May 02, 2011, 08:33:01 PM
This has been filling up my news feed on facebook, and the main topic of conversation at school.  :clap: to the people who made this possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw0AXjAaf3g&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_483154
That is messed up.

cap235629

WARNING: there is a video circulating around Facebook of a BBC video of the killing of Osama Bin Laden, supposedly made by US troops. It IS a virus!!!!! Spread the news because it's circulating fast!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: cap235629 on May 02, 2011, 10:08:58 PM
WARNING: there is a video circulating around Facebook of a BBC video of the killing of Osama Bin Laden, supposedly made by US troops. It IS a virus!!!!! Spread the news because it's circulating fast!

Ok, seriously, who does this?

Anyone caught doing this should have their Internet License revoked on the spot.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on May 02, 2011, 10:38:14 PM
Quote from: cap235629 on May 02, 2011, 10:08:58 PM

Ok, seriously, who does this?

Anyone caught doing this should have their Internet License revoked on the spot.

People who don't know any better and relish their ignorance under the auspices of "I'm computer illiterate hahaha".

a2capt

NIN

Ran into a buddy of mine at the DZ tonight, he's former SEAL Team 3 operator (his BUD/S class was #234, the one they did the whole Discovery Channel special on).

"Dave! As long as I'm at the DZ, you never buy a beer. Got me?"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

wuzafuzz

I'd like to think the the burial at sea is a cover story and the SOB was really captured.  Imagine someone wringing information out of him to take out a bunch more Al Qaeda types.  Probably wishful thinking.  Dead is good enough.   :clap: :clap: :clap:

Either way, a job well done.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

ProdigalJim

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Major Lord

I guess "A million dollar house" in Pakistan does much not mean much. That place looks like a Mexican cat house.

Major Lord

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

EmergencyManager6

davidsinn

Quote from: EmergencyManager6 on May 03, 2011, 07:36:11 PM
Quote from: ProdigalJim on May 03, 2011, 07:09:46 PM
Looks as if the downed helo might have been a bit more special than anyone originally let on:

"Aviation Week: Bin Laden Raid May Have Exposed Stealth Helo"

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story.jsp?id=news/awx/2011/05/03/awx_05_03_2011_p0-318248.xml&headline=Bin%20Laden%20Raid%20May%20Have%20Exposed%20Stealth%20Helo&channel=defense

Its an MH-60K  Spec Ops Blackhawk.

The pic in the article is a UH-60M and is a stock photo. The wreckage is not any Blackhawk variant that is in the white world. It has too many blades on the tail rotor and the shapes are wrong on the tail. Also it has that weird hub on the rotor shaft.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Stearmann4

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 02, 2011, 04:07:26 AM
Congrats to that small group that was allowed to take care of business. But for the news to repeatedly state that spec ops are the only ones that coud possibly have done this is sickening! They are obviously forgetting about every soldier that this country has, Army Infantry and Marine Infantry could have taken care of this no problem.

Manfred,

The actions that conventional forces contribute to the overall goals in Afghanistan are immeasurable. It's the infantry Soldiers and Marines that keep the daily pressure on insurgents which denies them the ability to organize and establish a stable base of operations.

That said, your comment that "any infantry soldier could have taken care of this" reveals that despite your honorable prior service, you have absolutely no idea the training, technology, and planning involved in executing a denied territory, cross-border operation to prosecute a National priority target. This kind of authority comes direct from the President and the JCS.

Special operators are to a man, no different than anyone else in the military. However, the training and resourcing is what allows us to routinely conduct high risk, complex missions with success. The public, and most of the military cannot fathom the financial resources devoted to training a modern special operations assault force. Example; As a SEAL, we would quite litterally expend more 5.56 in an afternoon going through kill house training, than our Marine infantry counterparts were allotted to shoot foran entire fiscal year. The same for the 160th, a conventional aviation brigade doesn't have a 10th of the flying hour or ammunition budget a SOAR battalion receives. Thus, 160th pilots and crews are far more proficient in planning, NVG, and direct action operations. Not neccessarily a result of unique talent, but resourcing.

You can't possibly believe that a conventional UH-60/CH-47 unit could be transporting food and ammo pallets one day, then reconfigure and execute an assault to UBL's compound with no additional training. If you're saying "yes, they just need some extra training", then refer back paragraph 2. If they had the training, then they would be "special operations"

I returned from my 10th deployment to Afghanistan three weeks ago, and of my 21 years of ongoing active duty, 12 were spent enlisted in the SEAL Teams (ST-1, BUD/s Class 197), and the rest as a 160th aviator. All on deployed status, and fortunately no staff jobs (yet).

So, I recommend with some credibility, that you please limit your comments to those that are within the scope of your experience and prior service. If there are any additional comments or questions I can be reached via PM, and I will be happy to pass you my work email or contact number.

MR-   
Active Duty Army Aviator
Silver Wings Flying Company, LLC
Olympia Regional Airport (KOLM)
www.Silverwingsflying.com

manfredvonrichthofen

Wow, never have I been made to feel so small. I have trained with 160th SOAR. There is no one else that we could have trained with to fast rope onto a roof top with at Ft. Campbell. I have been on a few air assault missions in my time in Iraq and Afghanistan. Ammo and flight time, both were abundant in training and in real world ops. I can't even count how many days were spent on a Blackhawk going from one area to another.

Now for what I was trying to say, granted I didn't get it all out very well. The news said numerous times that the Infantry is incapable of taking out high value targets. That we are not trained enough to take and assault a compound that is harboring an HVT. Lets see.... who took out Saddam's son... who found Saddam and took him prisoner (granted that wasn't in a large secured compound)? We did, the Infantry did. Who rolled into the Eagles Nest in WWII? 101st ABN, yes, it was empty, but they didn't expect it to be, they were going to take it by force. I have also been on a few missions after HVTs where it was just our squad on ground and we took six or more detainees. My point is, no one should be discounting the Infantry like that. We train, and train, and train, and when we fight the real fight we fight and win, even against much superior odds.

No one team or branch is perfect, even the SEALS and Rangers and DF and PJs and SF have all messed up big time. Every combat unit must fight unconventionally in war otherwise they will loose, and loose big. It is time to get rid of this "I'm better than you, go away" attitude that many spec ops have. I have fought next to SEALS, and Green Berets, and their tactics are no different than ours were. Sure they may get a bit more range time than us, they get to do weird stuff with their uniforms, and grow beards, but they fight no different than we do. We rappel out of helicopters in the 506th, and we do it often enough that we know what we are doing. The only difference is that they are allowed to go into countries that we are not engaged in war in. We fight, and bleed and die the same exact way.