Main Menu

When are Cadets, Cadets?

Started by Krapenhoeffer, July 07, 2010, 02:55:48 AM

Do cadets retain all their cadetyness when away from CAP activities and out of uniform?

Yes. Cadets are Cadets 24/7
43 (59.7%)
No. Cadets are only Cadets when representing CAP
23 (31.9%)
Other (will comment below)
6 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Krapenhoeffer

Wow... And I thought I was the only one with the Awkward Taco Bell Encounter... Except that I walked into Tango Bravo in civvies, and I find the Cadet Commander and First Shirt in BDUs (Both GTLs, and were surveying potential targets for an upcoming Statewide SAREX). All they said was, "You see nothing. Don't ask questions. About, FACE! Tacos, MARCH!"

Now, for the "other topic" that came up, I'll have to talk with my ROTC instructors, but last time I checked, when the NCA says "Jump," I'm supposed to respond with something to the effect of "How high, sir?"
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

JohnKachenmeister

Off-duty encounters are common in reserve forces.  There is a certain awkwardness on both sides as to what to do.  The duty is usually on the senior in the encounter to set the tone.  While use of titles is never inappropriate, salutes in civilian clothes and in a civilian setting are usually not exchanged.  But if a troop recognizes me, and renders a salute, it must be returned.

If I am with another person, I will introduce the trooper... "(Spouse), this is Private (Trooper), one of my very best soldiers.  (Trooper), this is my wife, (Spouse).

Cordiality and courtesy, but not necessarily military correctness.
Another former CAP officer

Major Lord

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on July 11, 2010, 10:34:07 PM
Wow... And I thought I was the only one with the Awkward Taco Bell Encounter... Except that I walked into Tango Bravo in civvies, and I find the Cadet Commander and First Shirt in BDUs (Both GTLs, and were surveying potential targets for an upcoming Statewide SAREX). All they said was, "You see nothing. Don't ask questions. About, FACE! Tacos, MARCH!"

Now, for the "other topic" that came up, I'll have to talk with my ROTC instructors, but last time I checked, when the NCA says "Jump," I'm supposed to respond with something to the effect of "How high, sir?"

You have Cadet GTL's? Sweet.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Eclipse

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 12, 2010, 12:41:41 AM

For those of you who are espousing the "I'm just a regular teenager who uses a choice word or two...", it may come as a shock to
realize that there is still an expectation in this world that children and adolescents respect adults simply by virtue of their being "adults", and if you have to consciously adjust your behavior radically simply because you encounter a senior member, its time to dial things down at least in public.

You really shouldn't find yourself yelling "You can't make me get off your lawn, old man!", more than a couple times in your whole life - the people who realize that have a much better chance at careers that don't involve asking about biggie sizing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2010, 02:18:32 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 12, 2010, 12:41:41 AM

For those of you who are espousing the "I'm just a regular teenager who uses a choice word or two...", it may come as a shock to
realize that there is still an expectation in this world that children and adolescents respect adults simply by virtue of their being "adults", and if you have to consciously adjust your behavior radically simply because you encounter a senior member, its time to dial things down at least in public.

You really shouldn't find yourself yelling "You can't make me get off your lawn, old man!", more than a couple times in your whole life - the people who realize that have a much better chance at careers that don't involve asking about biggie sizing.

I think that what it comes down to is the cultural differences when interacting with peers and adults.

I'll cuss with friends,  because that seems like the "style" of conversation, but I won't do it with adults.

I'll throw out an F bomb here and there when referencing my college and their billing department, and maybe throw in a WTF here and there online, but nothing on the level of Patti Blagojevich. ;)