Getting back into it!

Started by cadetesman, January 02, 2018, 05:07:44 AM

cadetesman

Greetings all!

Long time no see (or post).

I left CAP back in 2014. Got my Mitchell, graduated high school, went to college, did AFROTC, and am about to commission as an AF Cyberspace Officer!

Anyhow, I really appreciated all the great and valuable mentorship I learned from this program, and truly do feel like it really set me up for success.

I was wondering how I can really get back into it as an SM, and where to start. Ideally, I'll be starting in about a year, when I get to my first permanent base, if it's not somewhere overseas. I want to focus on mentoring cadets and teaching them about good citizenship, AE, etc. I did a LOT of ES stuff when I was a cadet (hence my username), but I feel like I'd rather just focus on AE as my "track". Is this pretty viable these days? FWIW, I have no intention of going high in CAP leadership or anything like that, I just want to give back to this program while I'm serving in the AF, and after. Is it pretty common for Active Duty folks to do CAP stuff?

Overall, I appreciate the help! I know there's the CAP Comms, but I don't really want to do that as well as be an AF Comms/Cyber officer...although that might be the best way to give back. I'm thinking a composite squadron would be the best for me, so I can assist with that stuff, but primarily focus on mentoring cadets and doing AE. Thanks for the help in advance!

TheSkyHornet

I suggest you finish up the commission and get acclimated to the Air Force first.

I make it the equivalent of people who get a new job, or go off to college---they suddenly have an interest peak because they're in high octane/motivation mode, but don't realize the commitment that most units really expect/need from senior members, particularly those that have a level of experience under their belt in being a cadet or having been in the military (law enforcement, emergency management, pilot, etc.---transferable skill).

It sounds like you want to get into being an Aerospace Education Officer. You'll need to see if that's something available at your local unit, or if an assistant is even wanted. You'll be disappointed if you jump in knowing what you want to do and get told "Sorry, you can't do this."

On the other hand, I find most cadet programs can always use the extra help. But I'm extremely picky about how close "walk-ins," whether prior cadets or not, get to our cadets in our unit. A lot of new guys are still so high octane that they want to get right into everything when they haven't read the material and haven't demonstrated their competency, and dedication, to what it takes to run a quality cadet unit.

QuoteIs it pretty common for Active Duty folks to do CAP stuff?

It's not uncommon, but it's more uncommon than it is common. A lot of military members aren't even aware of CAP, or they see it as a "play military" function (and that stems from how many CAP members present themselves, not what the military assumed about CAP). You'll definitely meet some people that are familiar with CAP, and probably even a couple that were in CAP, and maybe even someone who still is in CAP or at least works with CAP in some capacity.

Funny story:
My SSgt is prior Air Force. We had a PDO weekend at the base. Out of nowhere, this older gentlemen (sorry you old cronies out there) walks up to him and is like "Hey, I didn't know you were in CAP!" The guy is a retired Air Force officer who works for the Department now; they're teleconference colleagues in their "civilian jobs."

A college buddy of mine did AFROTC while I did Army. He's a pilot now. Ended up joining CAP at his station (didn't renew after the first year, but still appreciates it; he just doesn't have the time due to work).

Small world out there.

Paul Creed III

Being the unit's CyberPatriot coach or technical mentor would be an option as well.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Paul Creed III on January 02, 2018, 08:57:30 PM
Being the unit's CyberPatriot coach or technical mentor would be an option as well.

This for sure.

Just remember: Don't walk in with an attitude of "I'd like to see your cadets learning this, and I can teach them." Nobody wants the new person coming in trying to "change everything," for better or worse.

You'll see a lot of units don't have an expert in certain areas (e.g., CyberPatriot, rifle drill, incident command, etc.) that people with that experience can really add to it even if they don't take on that command-level role like a CDC. Sometimes, units are also looking for more administrative roles that support training and not always providing it.

GaryVC

Quote from: Paul Creed III on January 02, 2018, 08:57:30 PM

If you came to our unit, where we now have 4 active duty and one former officer with (highest achieved) a Mitchell, 2 Earharts, and a Spaatz I would love to have you working in both ES and CyberPatriot.  You can certainly work with cadets in both of these areas.  (I am not counting myself as I have been retired from the USAF too long to be of much significance to the cadets.)

PHall

cadetesman, don't even give CAP a thought until you have completed all of your schools and are settled on your new base.