Cadet Commander - Required for Spaatz?

Started by Shutterbug, May 03, 2016, 05:49:08 PM

Shutterbug

Greetings all,

I was recently told that in order to even attempt the Spaatz exam, a cadet must have served a full term as Cadet Commander of their squadron. This prompted me to do some research.

After scouring CAPR 52-16 and the Spaatz Award requirements/fact materials, I was unable to find any evidence of this criteria, or what would even constitute as a "full term" in the position apart from the six weeks of staff service for the Eaker. I understand that Cadet Commander is one of the options for the Phase IV staff service, but was unsure as to whether the position was a specific requirement for the Spaatz Award. Am I missing something here, or is it not a requirement?

TheSkyHornet

Entirely untrue.

There is no requirement to have served in any duty position to promote to C/Col nor receive the corresponding Spaatz award.

Eclipse

^ Correct.  There is no specific staff requirement for any cadet promotion (or senior member, either below Wing CC), only suggested duties.

Time for whoever is making that assertion to quote the reg.

Further to this, if you check the superchart, you will see everything that is required for a cadet to progress.
"SAD Staff Service" is as an apprentice to a senior member, primarily for the purpose of completing an SDA.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Super_Chart__2011_low__Copy_8371994AD16FE.pdf

There is no specific staff appointment(s) required at any point in a cadet's career.

The "Stripes to Diamonds" site is an excellent reference for all things cadet promotion and progression.
http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/stripes_to_diamonds/

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

Quote from: Eclipse on May 03, 2016, 06:05:48 PM
^ Correct.  There is no specific staff requirement for any cadet promotion (or senior member, either below Wing CC), only suggested duties.

Further to this, if you check the superchart, you will see everything that is required for a cadet to progress.
"SAD Staff Service" is as an apprentice to a senior member, primarily for the purpose of completing an SDA.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Super_Chart__2011_low__Copy_8371994AD16FE.pdf

There is no specific staff appointment(s) required at any point in a cadet's career.

The "Stripes to Diamonds" site is an excellent reference for all things cadet promotion and progression.

Not entirely true. To promote to Capt you have to have level 2. Which requires a technician rating. I don't know of any rating you can get without at least serving as an asst. I believe Maj and Lt Col are the same requiring senior and master ratings respectively.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

AirAux

Where can one order the printed Cadet Super Chart?  Thank you.

SarDragon

Quote from: stillamarine on May 03, 2016, 08:00:44 PM
Not entirely true. To promote to Capt you have to have level 2. Which requires a technician rating. I don't know of any rating you can get without at least serving as an asst. I believe Maj and Lt Col are the same requiring senior and master ratings respectively.

It looks like you are talking about Senior Members. Everyone else is talking about Cadets.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FW

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 03, 2016, 05:53:59 PM
Entirely untrue.

There is no requirement to have served in any duty position to promote to C/Col nor receive the corresponding Spaatz award.

Exactly...you just need to have been awarded the Eaker, and receive permission from your wing commander to sit for the examination.  Life isn't that difficult, however passing the Spaatz is! Good Luck

jeders

Quote from: SarDragon on May 03, 2016, 08:31:45 PM

It looks like you are talking about Senior Members. Everyone else is talking about Cadets.

Eclipse mentioned that there is no staff requirement for senior member promotions, so I think that's why he mentioned the Level 2 requirement for Captain (now for 1st Lt). However, it's entirely possible to get Capt or 1st Lt (Sr Mbr) without staff service if you were a cadet, are appointed using a professional appointment, or are/were military.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

He's right for most seniors, and so are you, I've just seen so many paper-only and back-dated appointments that it slipped my mind that was even a "thing".

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: AirAux on May 03, 2016, 08:25:42 PM

Last time I tried they were out of stock.  I believe a unit can order up to two a year when they have them.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

He said there is no specific staff service requirement for promotion and that is true.  A Senior Member can choose whatever specialty they wish and be assigned the corresponding duty position to earn the necessary rating for promotion.

Ned

Perhaps there was a miscommunication early on. 

While a cadet is not required to complete a term as a cadet commander to take the Spaatz exam, there is indeed a requirement to complete the Cadet Commander Achievement, otherwise known as Achievement 16.

Ned Lee
National Cadet Program Manager

MSG Mac

Quote from: kwe1009 on May 03, 2016, 09:58:15 PM

He said there is no specific staff service requirement for promotion and that is true.  A Senior Member can choose whatever specialty they wish and be assigned the corresponding duty position to earn the necessary rating for promotion.

Most, All the Senior level Specialties require a minimal time in that specialty and assignment in that specialty track at varying levels from squadron to Group and/or Wing.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Storm Chaser

As a point of clarification, these requirements have changed. Unless a member qualifies for promotion under the grandfather clause in CAPR 35-5, which can only be used once, a member needs Level II and a Technician rating to receive a duty performance promotion to 1st Lt, Level III and a Senior rating for Capt, Level IV and a Master rating for Maj, and Level V for Lt Col.

Offutteer

Quote from: Eclipse on May 03, 2016, 09:30:36 PM

Last time I tried they were out of stock.  I believe a unit can order up to two a year when they have them.

There are two versions of the Superchart, one is 11 X 17, which should be included in the New Cadet Guide.  See http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/new_cadet_help/ (You can download it and print a copy).  There is also a 2ft by 3ft version, which the squadron can order, but as noted above, it's out of stock a lot of the time.

stillamarine

Quote from: kwe1009 on May 03, 2016, 09:58:15 PM

Which is why I said not entirely true.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 04, 2016, 11:41:59 AM

As a point of clarification, these requirements have changed. Unless a member qualifies for promotion under the grandfather clause in CAPR 35-5, which can only be used once, a member needs Level II and a Technician rating to receive a duty performance promotion to 1st Lt, Level III and a Senior rating for Capt, Level IV and a Master rating for Maj, and Level V for Lt Col.

Correct. I just processed a grandfather clause 1st Lt promotion actually.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Майор Хаткевич

As others have stated, there's absolutely no duty position requirements, outside of the C/CC achievement. Cadets who stick around long enough to get to the Spaatz certainly run into the opportunity to be the C/CC at a unit, but it's neither a requirement, nor a guarantee. I seem to remember a unit in the last decade that had 3 Spaatz cadets very close in time together, and I don't believe they all held the title before getting the grade.

xray328

We downloaded it and got a black and white copy printed in poster size for under $5 at Staples. A color copy was ridiculously expensive to have them print. My kids both have one in their bedroom filled with dated sticky tabs with their whole cadet career planned out lol.

MSG Mac

If you have a color printer you can print out the Cadet Super Chart, best to use photo paper.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member